NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I bet this whole thing is just a smokescreen for further asset stripping of Newcastle United. Who, in their right fucking mind, would deliberately buy a club like Newcastle (were) just to drive it completely on its ass? (please insert appropriate gif/picture of you-know-who).

absolutely love players with questionable attitudes, the best kind of footballer IMO

Bar the absolute peak of the peak which we'd never sign, so much this.

It looks like Mitrovic is younger and could potentially be a top and therefore the £15m for him could turn into £30m. Austin will never be worth more than he is in this window. I wonder who we're more likely to put our money into regardless of suitability...

I keep checking this thread but it's a complete waste of time really. :D

Eventually, we simply have to sign someone, it's (almost!) impossible not to. But when that day happens, let's not kid ourselves that we're witnessing some kind of change of direction or improvement in fortunes. A hell of a lot needs to be done this window in order to move the club forward and 2-3 signings will still be less than the bare minimum.

Currently we're on 0.

Mitrovic, Winegum, Thauvin and Matip. I'll be astonished by more than this.

If we sign those four I'd say half the forum would drink their own p*ss.

I'd be content and would probably watch games, because as of right now i don't plan to.

I'd be content and would probably watch games, because as of right now i don't plan to.

:thup:

Pretty much the same feeling. 4 is the bare minimum needed.

Really think Mitrovic would be a bad signing for us. A potential mercenary.

If you think there are more than a handful of professionals these days that aren't you are misinformed. If its not the players it's their agents. Every player at our club would be off to a bigger club if they came calling, every one.

If he is already going on about Champions League football at his age, then he won't hang around for long.  The club would probably know that and will be hoping to make a big profit on him.  The problem is if we do sign him, we need to plan straight away for his replacement and bring them in before he leaves.  They cannot allow the current striker situation to occur again where they let several go and don't replace them.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/steve-mcclaren-pledges-newcastle-united-9626606

Steve McClaren says that Newcastle United’s transfer targets are the type of players that will get fans feeling good about their team again.

The mood on the training ground at the club’s Benton base was positive yesterday as players took part in an open session in front of the media – but McClaren knows better than anybody he needs new faces.

McClaren says there is a “massive willingness to spend” and will not panic over Newcastle’s long wait for new faces so far. And he offered an insight on to the type of players Newcastle are after, claiming they were looking in the £10million plus bracket.

He said: “I have come in and looked at the plan and looked at the calibre of players (targeted) and said ‘wow’. We have expressed our objectives and put it on the line and now we have to fulfil that. That’s what Mike Ashley has done and said ‘go on fulfil it’.

“So we have to get the right ones to improve this group.”

United have made mistakes in transfer windows in the past and previous windows have resulted in signings such as flop striker Facundo Ferrerya.

But McClaren says the club are building for the future at Newcastle as well as the present.

He said: “We have talked a lot about the next three windows being huge, massive, for us. (They are) huge – let’s make sure we get the right ones.

“If we get them then in a year’s time – after the third window – we should have a damn good team and squad on a different level to where we are now.

“That is purely because we are looking at players above a certain bracket.”

When asked how far Newcastle were on deals for players like Georginio Wijnaldum of PSV Eindhoven, McClaren said: “We’re close. We are working very hard behind-the-scenes.

“When you buy players for £0-5million there are loads of them and in that respect Newcastle would be top of the tree. But (at) £5-10million there are still a lot of them and we would be right up there competing with that group – and there are a lot of players in that group.

“When you go above that and look for a calibre of player to improve what we’ve got and to achieve our objectives, which we know - and thank goodness we know them - that makes a huge difference. The objectives have been set and we have to fulfill them and that’s what we are doing.

“So when you go £10million plus - and there is a lot of speculation about (us signing) that level of player at the moment - and they are Europa League and Champions League players at top clubs, there aren’t so many players in that bracket, so the competition is higher. It is more difficult to recognise their availability and get things done.

“The process is going and believe you me there is a massive willingness from the club to spend, but not spend foolishly or do anything foolishly. But especially spend foolishly.

“We are also looking for good value, but everyone in football is still looking for good value for money and talent - and that is what we are doing.”

It´s really weird. I almost would drink my own piss if we got those four. Yet, I would not be more than content as well. :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/steve-mcclaren-pledges-newcastle-united-9626606

Steve McClaren says that Newcastle United’s transfer targets are the type of players that will get fans feeling good about their team again.

The mood on the training ground at the club’s Benton base was positive yesterday as players took part in an open session in front of the media – but McClaren knows better than anybody he needs new faces.

McClaren says there is a “massive willingness to spend” and will not panic over Newcastle’s long wait for new faces so far. And he offered an insight on to the type of players Newcastle are after, claiming they were looking in the £10million plus bracket.

He said: “I have come in and looked at the plan and looked at the calibre of players (targeted) and said ‘wow’. We have expressed our objectives and put it on the line and now we have to fulfil that. That’s what Mike Ashley has done and said ‘go on fulfil it’.

“So we have to get the right ones to improve this group.”

United have made mistakes in transfer windows in the past and previous windows have resulted in signings such as flop striker Facundo Ferrerya.

But McClaren says the club are building for the future at Newcastle as well as the present.

He said: “We have talked a lot about the next three windows being huge, massive, for us. (They are) huge – let’s make sure we get the right ones.

“If we get them then in a year’s time – after the third window – we should have a damn good team and squad on a different level to where we are now.

“That is purely because we are looking at players above a certain bracket.”

When asked how far Newcastle were on deals for players like Georginio Wijnaldum of PSV Eindhoven, McClaren said: “We’re close. We are working very hard behind-the-scenes.

“When you buy players for £0-5million there are loads of them and in that respect Newcastle would be top of the tree. But (at) £5-10million there are still a lot of them and we would be right up there competing with that group – and there are a lot of players in that group.

“When you go above that and look for a calibre of player to improve what we’ve got and to achieve our objectives, which we know - and thank goodness we know them - that makes a huge difference. The objectives have been set and we have to fulfill them and that’s what we are doing.

“So when you go £10million plus - and there is a lot of speculation about (us signing) that level of player at the moment - and they are Europa League and Champions League players at top clubs, there aren’t so many players in that bracket, so the competition is higher. It is more difficult to recognise their availability and get things done.

“The process is going and believe you me there is a massive willingness from the club to spend, but not spend foolishly or do anything foolishly. But especially spend foolishly.

“We are also looking for good value, but everyone in football is still looking for good value for money and talent - and that is what we are doing.”

It's like a horrible reoccurring nightmare, same shit different spokesman.

Asked if United had targeted “three or four” £10m players, McClaren replied: “That would be nice.

"Yes, I think the targets we have talked about, and the positions to improve... we are talking about one, two, three, four, five….they don’t all have to be top ones.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's not Alan Pardew, but it's just more of the same and most of us know it.

Hopefully by the time we're into the season, some reasonable football will have given us some respite from the endless spin and the cynicism that comes with it. But if we're shit he'll be absolutely reviled by Christmas and rightly so.