NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wouldn't go for Rhodes. Might aswell go back abroad if your looking at him.

He's proven he can score for fun in the Championship. Not saying he's a sure-thing, but he's due a step-up to a higher league.

dwight gale?[emoji38]

12 PL goals (at least i think they're all PL) - are people talking backup to mitro here or what?  we'd be much better off just using perez as backup surely?

Its picking the best out of the worst situation when it comes to alternatives if we cant get Remy.

If we dont get Remy then i'll have little faith in us staying up in all fairness.

Berahino is far better than Rhodes or Gayle like..

Depends what way we're looking at it. I think he would certainly take the chances if we created them but i'm not sure his work rate or attitude is what we need right now. Tough decision out of the 3.

Looking purely at ability.  Both decent finishers, but Berahino has much more about his game and is 4 years younger.  Rhodes is too slow IMO and completely unproven in this league so I'd rule him out completely personally.

Yes Berahino's has had problems at West Brom which makes his attitude questionable, but that's the only reason he'd possibly be available even for £20m, ability/potential wise he's on another level to Dwight Gayle.

dwight gale?[emoji38]

12 PL goals (at least i think they're all PL) - are people talking backup to mitro here or what?  we'd be much better off just using perez as backup surely?

Its picking the best out of the worst situation when it comes to alternatives if we cant get Remy.

If we dont get Remy then i'll have little faith in us staying up in all fairness.

but i mean where would you use him, as backup for mitro or as a pacey forward to play alongside?

if it's the latter i can't see how that works with our other signings, if it's the former then perez already has a better pedigree

we're veering into "just sign anyone" territory here imo

dwight gale?[emoji38]

but i mean where would you use him, as backup for mitro or as a pacey forward to play alongside?

if it's the latter i can't see how that works with our other signings, if it's the former then perez already has a better pedigree

To be honest im intrigued to see what McClaren does with the new players. I think its obvious from Townsends comments that Perez is going to be dropped and AT will be played LW but i'd like to see him played RW with Perez LW and Sissoko moved to a more central position.

I know many will bring up that he's not always been convincing at CM but I dont see how he can be any worse then Colback.

If we were to play the formation and players in the positions I said, then I could see Gayle as a decent option compared to Gomis, who appears to be higher up on our shopping list, due to Gayles pace and movement off the ball.

dwight gale?[emoji38]

To be honest im intrigued to see what McClaren does with the new players. I think its obvious from Townsends comments that Perez is going to be dropped and AT will be played LW but i'd like to see him played RW with Perez LW and Sissoko moved to a more central position.

I know many will bring up that he's not always been convincing at CM but I dont see how he can be any worse then Colback.

If we were to play the formation and players in the positions I said, then I could see Gayle as a decent option compared to Gomis, who appears to be higher up on our shopping list, due to Gayles pace and movement off the ball.

see my post in the other thread, townsend playing primarily on the right has provided 3 PL assists since 2012

i'd be inclined to try him on the left personally and keep sissoko and wijnaldum where they are as they're far and away our two biggest threats and providers

think the best you're going to get out of townsend is using him to stretch the other teams by giving us a pacey option on the left, theoretically opening up play on the right and through the middle a little more

dwight gale?[emoji38]

see my post in the other thread, townsend playing primarily on the right has provided 3 PL assists since 2012

i'd be inclined to try him on the left personally and keep sissoko and wijnaldum where they are as they're far and away our two biggest threats and providers

think the best you're going to get out of townsend is using him to stretch the other teams by giving us a pacey option on the left, theoretically opening up play on the right and through the middle a little more

To be honest, I think that what you've said is exactly how SM will play things too.

Not saying that there's anything wrong with that mind as he's constantly spoken about wanting us to play a counter attacking style of play for weeks and Sissoko/Townsend out wide would definitely offer that.

Be interesting to see how things work out in the next 72 hours.

dwight gale?[emoji38]

To be honest, I think that what you've said is exactly how SM will play things too.

Not saying that there's anything wrong with that mind as he's constantly spoken about wanting us to play a counter attacking style of play for weeks and Sissoko/Townsend out wide would definitely offer that.

Be interesting to see how things work out in the next 72 hours.

aye god knows what happens if they go and splurge +£20m on berahino for example, i guess he'd probably replace mitro and we'd look to go more direct and in behind using shelvey's range of passing with townsend, sissoko and wijnaldum tasked with getting up in support

Here's an idea. 4-2-3-1. Wijanldum and Shelvey in the middle. Ahead have Perez on the right and Townsend on the left. Ahead of them playing the no.10 role is Sissoko. Mitrovic leading the line.

Saivet or Colback can be brought on to see a game out.

My reasoning for Sissoko playing so advanced: he does make great runs with the ball. Usually playing from deep. He doesn't quite have the passing to play central midfield but both Wijnaldum and Shelvey can. Perez also has good footwork and can link play well. If Sissoko could time his runs to pick up on Mitrovic's knock downs or to latch onto through balls from midfield he could be unstoppable. Townsend is the unknown quantity, he has pace and seems to like a shot but can he cross a ball? No idea.

Thauvin in fairness had the same attributes, the lad was never given a chance here and to be honest i'd sooner see him play than the new lad but that's life. If he wants to go back to France let him, but the scout should be fired over that. Screams of a youtube signing..

fwiw, Gayle has only played 2300 minutes in the Premiership. That's 25 or so games, so that's 1 goal in just about 2 games playing in fits and starts. On numbers alone, the temptation is to say he's been Pardewed.

I've barely seen him play and my lasting memory is of him coming on and wrecking Liverpool's title hopes in that 3-3 where Brendan Rodgers decided that trying to win 8-0 was more important than taking it to the last day of the season and keeping the pressure on Man City.

Here's an idea. 4-2-3-1. Wijanldum and Shelvey in the middle. Ahead have Perez on the right and Townsend on the left. Ahead of them playing the no.10 role is Sissoko. Mitrovic leading the line.

My reasoning for Sissoko playing so advanced: he does make great runs with the ball. Usually playing from deep. He doesn't quite have the passing to play central midfield but both Wijnaldum and Shelvey can. Perez also has good footwork and can link play well. If Sissoko could time his runs to pick up on Mitrovic's knock downs or to latch onto through balls from midfield he could be unstoppable. Townsend is the unknown quantity, he has pace and seems to like a shot but can he cross a ball? No idea.

Thauvin in fairness had the same attributes, the lad was never given a chance here and to be honest i'd sooner see him play than the new lad but that's life. If he wants to go back to France let him, but the scout should be fired over that. Screams of a youtube signing..

I wouldn't move Sissoko, he's got a great partnership going with Janmaat (easily our most productive pairing) and I think he benefits a great deal from the extra space afforded to him out wide.  If we shifted him inside then I think he'd be crowded out, he's not that good at working in tight spaces.  Not to mention the fact that Wijnaldum has generally been excellent being played in his proper position at no.10 so I also wouldn't want to mess around with that.

So you want to move our main goal threat and top scorer by some distance further back down the pitch and away from the opposition goal? Total madness compounded by the fact that Wijnaldum, especially away from home has a tendency to go missing for long periods of games so playing him where you suggest would be suicidal.

Thankfully even McClaren isn't stupid enough to do that.

Don't really agree with any of that.

Sissoko looks dreadful as a 10 and has been playing pretty well most games out on the right. 

Wijnaldum hasn't looked comfortable in a 2.  Shelvey left Swansea as he doesn't want to play deeper.  Wijnaldum would want to push on, as well. 

Perez is a striker, who looks uncomfortable tracking back.  We have managed to counter this when on the left, as Dummett doesn't get forward.  With Janmaat on the right with Perez, we'd get carved.

I like the idea of Perez and Townsend working around our main striker. Not convinced about Sissoko in a Number 10 role. I don't think he's good enough from the technical point of view.

Saivet is an unknown quantity and will probably need half a season to adjust to the Premiership before we can really assess. I'd go for Colback - Wiljandum - Shelvey in the midfield.

I'd like to include Sissoko but the balance of the team has to be right, and I'd see Perez, Townsend and Sissoko competing for 2 places.

Ahmed Musa of CSKA Moscow keeps getting linked with Leicester for the amount we are supposedly willing to pay for Berahino.

Plays striker, left wing and right wing. Very explosive pace, and really talented dribbler with the ball.

Would love to see him here, but think we are looking for more of an out and out goal scorer that can play upfront alone. Musa plays upfront alone at times for CSKA, but not sure how well it would work in our team.

Wouldn't mind Gibbs here at all, a big upgrade on all our options at left back and obviously we are desperate anyway.

Regarding Berahino, I'm not sure he would be the answer to our problems anyway. Apart from a purple patch or two has he ever been that good like a £20m striker good?