NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At least for once we have some excitement at deadline day, even though we will probably be relegated in May.

Aye, screams panic.

I've said it before - signing so many first team players in January I don't think is the best thing to do in the short term.

Although I think if you are going down that path - it's better if the players are familiar with the PL.

You keep massively missing the point. We're signing more players because the current ones are taking us down. We're not signing them simply for adding more players.

You seem to think adding better players now is worse than carrying on with what we've got, based on your project management courses.

At least for once we have some excitement at deadline day, even though we will probably be relegated in May.

Aye, screams panic.

I've said it before - signing so many first team players in January I don't think is the best thing to do in the short term.

Although I think if you are going down that path - it's better if the players are familiar with the PL.

The velocity of the project will be redundant. The gegenpressing incomprehensible poor.

Aye, screams panic.

You keep massively missing the point. We're signing more players because the current ones are taking us down. We're not signing them simply for adding more players.

You seem to think adding better players now is worse than carrying on with what we've got, based on your project management courses.

It seems to me, in the PL or perhaps modern football. Most people think the only way for a team to improve is to spend money and buy better players. The more - the better. Different manager, different tactics, players understanding tactics better, better teamwork, players developing etc.

When has a team kept a manager, signed a boatload of new players in January and dramatically improved?

I'm thinking of the great escapes in the PL. Wigan, Sunderland, Leicester, Palace, Villa etc. it was never down to signing 4-5 first team players in January. Sometimes 1 or 2 new signings, more often a new manager but never the 4-5 signings for the first 11 we are looking to make in total.

So to be clear - i'm not advocating sticking with what we are doing, I just don't think signing 5 first team players is the only or right answer. At a certain point every additional signing - the impact to the team diminishes. Questions get raised tactically by their introduction, they need to understand the team and tactics, the team needs to understand them, the manager has to figure the team out etc.

From a playing staff perspective I think really good 1 or 2 signings is best for immediate impact. An Anelka. Vidic & Evra.

Only time a raft of new signings has improved a team is for Harry Redknapp - who seems to feed off it. He'll end up not playing most of them anyway. He's not a manager keen on tactics. And the last time he did it, his team got relegated.

Signing loads in January isn't the best way to build a team, get your preferred targets or build a squad long term, but if you're about to be relegated you don't have much choice.

That's not true though. Think of any great escape in the PL, it didn't happen from loads of signings.

We aren't even far away. I'm really excited by Berahino if we could land him regardless. Sign Saido - if we stay up, we should hit the next season running.

Aye, screams panic.

It seems to me, in the PL or perhaps modern football. Most people think the only way for a team to improve is to spend money and buy better players. The more - the better. Different manager, different tactics, players understanding tactics better, better teamwork, players developing etc.

When has a team kept a manager, signed a boatload of new players in January and dramatically improved?

I'm thinking of the great escapes in the PL. Wigan, Sunderland, Leicester, Palace, Villa etc. it was never down to signing 4-5 first team players in January. Sometimes 1 or 2 new signings, more often a new manager but never the 4-5 signings for the first 11 we are looking to make in total.

So to be clear - i'm not advocating sticking with what we are doing, I just don't think signing 5 first team players is the only or right answer. At a certain point every additional signing - the impact to the team diminishes. Questions get raised tactically by their introduction, they need to understand the team and tactics, the team needs to understand them, the manager has to figure the team out etc.

From a playing staff perspective I think really good 1 or 2 signings is best for immediate impact. An Anelka. Vidic & Evra.

Only time a raft of new signings has improved a team is for Harry Redknapp - who seems to feed off it. He'll end up not playing most of them anyway. He's not a manager keen on tactics. And the last time he did it, his team got relegated.

You could have Pep in charge with a midfield consisting of Colback and Anita and we'd still be down there.

We should have signed better players in summer, but we ignored glaringly obvious weaknesses and hired a shit manager. The only way to sort that is by bringing better players in now and bringing a better manager in (and knowing that we won't do the latter we're relying on the new players).

It's obvious to most people why we're buying in January.

Repeat: I'm not opposed to signing better players. Just think we are going after too many for short term benefit. 2 starters and a back-up in January I think is the best you can do for the rest of the campaign. More and I think you create more problems than are solved.

So you wouldn't replace dummett at this stage? Or buy a goal scorer?

Repeat: I'm not opposed to signing better players. Just think we are going after too many for short term benefit. 2 starters and a back-up in January I think is the best you can do for the rest of the campaign. More and I think you create more problems than are solved.

In January - a CM and goal scorer for me should've been the priority. Think another for the bench in a position would've been good.

I don't think an entire new left hand side. CM partnership.  A striker.  Is the best way to go forward when the first time they play together is February.

That brings new issues for basically nearly every facet of the team.  While SMC figures it out we'll lose football matches.

I don't think we'll land players for all the positions which I think may be a blessing.

I totally get what he's saying with regards to too many players. That makes sense to me in normal circumstances. However, we're way past normal circumstances and I'm happy that so many signing have been made. Would like a defender or two though.

Signing loads in January isn't the best way to build a team, get your preferred targets or build a squad long term, but if you're about to be relegated you don't have much choice.

That's not true though. Think of any great escape in the PL, it didn't happen from loads of signings.

We aren't even far away. I'm really excited by Berahino if we could land him regardless. Sign Saido - if we stay up, we should hit the next season running.

We stayed up in 2013 mainly because we added half a new team in January. Sissoko and even Gouffran's initial spurt saved us.

We stayed up in 2013 mainly because we added half a new team in January. Sissoko and even Gouffran's initial spurt saved us.

It sometimes gives a short term jolt, certainly hoe Townsend starts well and the OAP smashes a few in, assuming they haven't found he needs a hip replacement

I disagree.  I think signing so many ensured we would struggle for that entire season.  Look at teams that actually avoid relegation by performing well.  We limped over. 

Had we only signed Debuchy and Sissoko I think we would've been better. Gouff and Mbiwa was too much imo at that point in the season. And overall they all (apart from Gouff funnily enough) struggled in those 5 months.  Sissoko had a couple great performances then was absolutely awful in the league.  Debuchy snd Mbiwa struggled.

I disagree.  I think signing so many ensured we would struggle for that entire season.  Look at teams that actually avoid relegation by performing well.  We limped over. 

Had we only signed Debuchy and Sissoko I think we would've been better. Gouff and Mbiwa was too much imo at that point in the season. And overall they all (apart from Gouff funnily enough) struggled in those 5 months.  Sissoko had a couple great performances then was absolutely awful in the league.  Debuchy snd Mbiwa struggled.

If McClaren was to try and integrate too many new players into the first team all at once, there'd be a problem, but I think we're some distance from that point.

The main problem with the January window is that the pressure can lead to a club paying over the odds for the wrong players, or players that aren't any better than the ones they have.

If McClaren was to try and integrate too many new players into the first team all at once, there'd be a problem, but I think we're some distance from that point.

The main problem with the January window is that the pressure can lead to a club paying over the odds for the wrong players, or players that aren't any better than the ones they have.

That's only because they didn't address the squad deficiencies in the summer in the first place.

In January - a CM and goal scorer for me should've been the priority. Think another for the bench in a position would've been good.

I don't think an entire new left hand side. CM partnership.  A striker.  Is the best way to go forward when the first time they play together is February.

That brings new issues for basically nearly every facet of the team.  While SMC figures it out we'll lose football matches.

I don't think we'll land players for all the positions which I think may be a blessing.

I'm tempted to agree with TCD to an extent. If SMC had shown he could handle and pick the right teams when options were available then OK but he hasn't shown that at all, the opposite in fact to some extent.

I'm tempted to agree with TCD to an extent. If SMC had shown he could handle and pick the right teams when options were available then OK but he hasn't shown that at all, the opposite in fact to some extent.

Yeah TCD's carefully considered opinion about McClaren is a real eye opener. I might well need to compare his record unfavourably to Pardew's using some stats to reinforce this point.

Yeah TCD's carefully considered opinion about McClaren is a real eye opener. I might well need to compare his record unfavourably to Pardew's using some stats to reinforce this point.

[emoji38]

I just see what he's saying is all. He got 4 player's in the summer and managed to pick the wrong team time after time dropping Perez a number of times and playing Colback every minute of every game. He's got three so far and might get 2 strikers in the next 24 hours so I'm certainly a little concerned at his ability to properly integrate them and pick a functioning team from the options he'd then have if the two deals go through.