Aston Villa 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 14/09/13 - post-match reaction from page 33

Beren

A deserved win - much better movement from the players and they seem fitter now.

HBA was star of the show, really taking their defence apart at times ; to their credit, Villa rarely resorted to fouling him but there is no doubt that some of the top teams WILL do so if he causes them similar problems, because they know they can get away with it...look at what happened at Man City with de Jong...

Debuchy much better today but he wasn't subject to too much pace and that is what undoes him..Sissoko and Remy also did well, the latter giving us some danger down the left to match HBA on the other side. Wonder about Remy's fitness over the medium term though, and we are stuffed if HBA gets injured because Cisse is doing nothing - looks like a striker whose confidence is shot to pieces and we are going to rue the fact that the club failed to get a decent forward in the summer.

Colo and MYM were good at the back apart from losing Benteke for their goal as was Santon who did not have to come forward as much because Remy was attacking that side.

A win that was encouraging in that the players looked up for it and moved far more fluently off the ball....now vital to get a win against Hull because tougher tests lie ahead.

Sissoko was marking Benteke and totally lost him after some great movement by Benteke.

Maybe so - but Benteke is one of their main central forwards so it should have been one of the CDs marking him..

They'd have already decided who was marking who, you can hardly blame the centre halves for sissoko losing him.

Unfortunately, neither of our centre backs are great at defending set pieces. They've got other qualities, but that's not one of them. Sissoko may well be the best bet.

and quite often we picked up the second ball. benteke was like andy carroll in the air outside the box, won the header but didn't win his team possession.

I often feel like this is a good pointer towards desire in a team.

The biggest positive i noticed from yesterdays game, was the way we responded after they equalized. Last season, the heads would have went down and we probably would have folded and went on to lose the game. We looked like a team with belief that we could still go on and get the win, which was refreshing to see.

and quite often we picked up the second ball. benteke was like andy carroll in the air outside the box, won the header but didn't win his team possession.

That's why aerial power is sometimes overrated. While it's definitely a plus, I'd be far more worried if Villa had Ben Arfa in their side.

What were our lot (c***s, part of the problem, etc.) singing at the end? To 'Don't sell Cabaye', but with different words, I think.

It was "Don't take me home, please don't take me home! I just don't wanna go to work! I wanna stay here and drink all your beer. Please don't, please don't take me home!"

I agreed with the sentiment like. One of the best away days I've had in ages.

Guest icemanblue

:thup: Cheers, mate. Would have loved to have been there. You were all top class, from start to finish.

It's great that Villa Park is becoming a happy hunting ground for us.

Some perspective about our shit away form...

Having been a season ticket holder since the late 1980s give or take a few half season tickets I have never known such shocking home form as the last few years. Since early November 2011 we have won six home games. Yes, six home games in nearly two full calender years.

We've won 8 away in that time, 2 at Villa Park. :yao:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2421085/Paul-Lambert-worried-Aston-Villas-start-season.html

Pardew said: 'Hatem got probably the simplest goal he is ever going to score.

'But he got in the box, something we have encouraged him to do, and he got his reward for that.

'In the first half I really felt we controlled the game - perhaps too well.

'At half-time it was difficult to get the team ready for the second half because you know it can't quite be the same.

'We came under pressure for 20 minutes and had to weather a little bit of a storm in that period.'

Newcastle eventually emerged with a victory they deserved overall at the end of a contest in which several of their players had made notable contributions.

As well as Ben Arfa, that included striker Remy, making his first Newcastle start, and midfielder Yohan Cabaye, returning to the first XI after his proposed move to Arsenal failed to materialise.

Pardew said: 'Both of those (Cabaye and Remy) were not really at 100%, but I wanted to put them in because I felt just their names, if nothing else, would affect the opposition.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2421085/Paul-Lambert-worried-Aston-Villas-start-season.html

Pardew said: 'Hatem got probably the simplest goal he is ever going to score.

'But he got in the box, something we have encouraged him to do, and he got his reward for that.

'In the first half I really felt we controlled the game - perhaps too well.

'At half-time it was difficult to get the team ready for the second half because you know it can't quite be the same.

'We came under pressure for 20 minutes and had to weather a little bit of a storm in that period.'

Newcastle eventually emerged with a victory they deserved overall at the end of a contest in which several of their players had made notable contributions.

As well as Ben Arfa, that included striker Remy, making his first Newcastle start, and midfielder Yohan Cabaye, returning to the first XI after his proposed move to Arsenal failed to materialise.

Pardew said: 'Both of those (Cabaye and Remy) were not really at 100%, but I wanted to put them in because I felt just their names, if nothing else, would affect the opposition.'

Is that for real ffs :lol: