The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

On 13/04/2023 at 11:07, wormy said:

:lol: Why do PFMs hate Power Point so much? I swear I've seen others reference them before. Almost like it's just a reminder of yet another technology that's passed them by.

11 hours ago, TBG said:

Because they don't excel at it themselves.

11 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

word

:lol: very good.

On 13/04/2023 at 18:36, Ben said:

I'm sure Lampard is a lovely bloke but he's just not a good coach/manager and after hearing Gordons comments he's just another Bruce with a couple of hours training a day

I’m sure he’s an insufferable wanker, but it takes all sorts.

3 hours ago, Ben said:

Lampard man.....fuckin hell.

He's just a pretty Bruce.

Seriously, what is up with so many English managers man?

I don't think they take the tactical side of the game seriously enough at all. To quote Tim Sherwood, 'these foreign managers have just brainwashed everyone'.

They don't seem to realise how much of a science that whole side of the game has become. And the amount of studying of different systems and the thinking behind them, is needed to even step into a managerial role nowadays. I remember when Bruce would continuously just put losses to teams like Man City down to 'them having better players'.

both Lampard and Gerrard have completely disgraced themselves this season man, And these are two young managers that came up playing under some top managers and yet they seem to be completely clueless, and instead are cut from the same 'grafting' and 'getting stuck in' mindset of oafs like Bruce and the likes.

I can't believe it man. What exactly are they teaching in those UEFA license classes anyway? 

It’s laziness and arrogance. That’s all it is. They can’t be fucked with doing the work as they think they’ve already made it due to being star players. Why should they have to do the graft when they’ve already proven themselves is the way they both look at it, I imagine 

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s laziness and arrogance. That’s all it is. They can’t be fucked with doing the work as they think they’ve already made it due to being star players. Why should they have to do the graft when they’ve already proven themselves is the way they both look at it, I imagine 

Nailed it. Had this conversation with a Liverpool fan about Gerrard/Howe when Gerrard went to Villa. The likes of Gerrard/Lampard have already ‘made it’ as far as they’re concerned. The stakes are so much lower for them. They’re already millionaires and can’t be fucked. They’re managing because they think they should based on their high opinions of themselves, not because they’ve shown any aptitude for it.

Edited by Dr Venkman

16 hours ago, gbandit said:

Don’t know about you guys but I’m starting to wonder if Lampard wasn’t the best choice of manager for a team he’d previously done poorly at, that is currently in crisis

Yeah but imagine how much worse Naglesmann would've done without knowing the club.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think people would be surprised at how tactically knowledgeable the likes of Lampard and Gerrard will be tbf [emoji38]

Translating your ideas across to players is, I assume, the hardest part of management.

They’re the professors with outstanding research output but no ability to teach of football management?

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think people would be surprised at how tactically knowledgeable the likes of Lampard and Gerrard will be tbf [emoji38]

Translating your ideas across to players is, I assume, the hardest part of management.

In comparison to us, you mean? :lol:

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

To be fair, given how he's had 3 games in 7 days, there isn't a whole lot you could do tactically in that time, so trying to lift the players spirits is probably the correct thing to do in those circumstances.

And I say that as someone who doesn't rate Lampard.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Imagine trying to get to know 314 players when you're only there for 7 weeks. :lol:

Long term, its probably the right thing, but I doubt his pally pall approach is going to yield results. Half won't care as they know he won't be here next season.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

To be fair, given how he's had 3 games in 7 days, there isn't a whole lot you could do tactically in that time, so trying to lift the players spirits is probably the correct thing to do in those circumstances.

Probably best treat it like National team callup. Everything focused on bonding the team, fitness, and deal with the basics tactically. I've heard he's switched formations...brave and probably stupid, unless its what the players want.

5 minutes ago, 54 said:

I’d have spent it being tactically ready for Real Madrid tbh.

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

In comparison to us, you mean? :lol:

I just think it’s more likely that they’re just bad at managing players than them being lazy tactically, or not taking the science side of the game seriously. I think Lampard actually comes across as someone who looked dedicated to becoming a great manager, he’s just shite at it.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I just think it’s more likely that they’re just bad at managing players than them being lazy tactically, or not taking the science side of the game seriously. I think Lampard actually comes across as someone who looked dedicated to becoming a great manager, he’s just shite at it.

Agree with you here. I don't particularly like Lampard but bundling him in with that utter shitstain Gerrard is harsh imo. Arrogant doesn't even come close with that arsehole. 

How an earth can any of you accuse Lampard and Gerrard of laziness, thinking they're too arrogant to try hard, just plucking that accusation out of thin air. They're just not good managers, it's doesn't mean they aren't trying or working as hard as they can. 

One thing iwould day is true, they got their jobs on who they are, not their ability as managers, and even then Lampard and Gerrard first jobs went OK, so it wasn't a complete surprise they got big jobs.

They're both just not good at the higher level.