The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

For those that know anything about him, is he willing to be subservient to Mr Levy and/or prepared to put up with intervention from above? Seems the only way to guarantee longevity at Spurs; who knows if it'll guarantee any form of success. 

As others have said, it feels like a no-lose for him, whereas it reeks of - at best - a punt or - at worst - desperation from Spurs. Mad how much they've fucked it since binning Poch.

Do you think he'd have been given the job otherwise?

I'm not saying he's a patsy, but because he hasn't built his reputation at this level yet, he'll be far easier to control than a Conte or a Poch.

I cant see him achieving anything there that his predecessors didnt achieve to the disdain of their fans and ultimately the owner unless all concerned are accepting far lower expectations.

As a direct competitor, at least on paper, with a tendency to worry, this doesn't concern me at all but I'm not sure any appointment they could have made would. Its not the managers fault. Its the unrealistic expectations of fans and owner who have had probably their longest prolonged  spell in the higher echelons in their history and been unsatisfied for most of it.

5 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

wasn’t saying one should go there just that their ambition is likely curtailed without one 

I know and I was agreeing with you because sugar daddy billionare's would probably see Arsenal as more of a sure thing for ROI. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

There's not much reason why their ceiling should be any lower than Arsenal's. Arsenal are historically more successful - probably 3rd in England. But Spurs aren't far behind in any metric (except silverware).

If they won more with Kane & Son, I'd agree with you, but they didn't and now Arsenal are on the upward trajectory. I don't see Spurs growing their fanbase the way Arsenal probably did this year alone. 

Out of curiosity, what metrics do think think Spurs aren't far behind on? Mostly growth? Sustainability? I honestly think NUFC have more growth potential than Spurs, hence why Levy kicked up a fuss towards our sale. 

Spurs' root problem is that they are so desperate to be seen as big, as glamorous, as successful, they'll make decisions which are largely based on what it makes other people think of them. They would never, ever have appointed Eddie Howe around the time you did, for example, for precisely that reason.

As a result, they employ the likes of Mourinho and Conte because they think, hey, that's what big clubs do, they employ people like that. Then they get linked with Nagelsmann because, hey, he's European and trendy, and that's what big clubs do, too.

When they do get a Conte, what happens? He realises it's basically a job where it keeps them happy because he's so swoony and Levy looks good to his mates, and the fans can act like they're part of some football aristocracy rather than a bunch of arriviste non-achievers, but they get treated like shit, because the manager doesn't give a fuck really, he knows they're lucky to have him. It's an imbalanced relationship.

So maybe this time the dynamic will be a bit different, and a tubby Australian from the Scottish league will treat them with a bit of respect back rather than what they got from Conte and Mourinho, which was basically to treat them like some fat granny they picked up down at Julie's on the Quayside at 2am* because, hey, at least it's a bit of leg-over, it's better than nothing.

But it probably don't, and Ryan Mason will be there again with his hopeless, comatose teenage stoner facial expression on MOTD most weeks by January or February.

* apologies, my Newcastle cultural references are decades out of date, but if you wanted to pick up a ropey granny in the late 1980s, Julies was the place to do it.

Edited by brummie

10 hours ago, brummie said:

Spurs' root problem is that they are so desperate to be seen as big, as glamorous, as successful, they'll make decisions which are largely based on what it makes other people think of them. They would never, ever have appointed Eddie Howe around the time you did, for example, for precisely that reason.

As a result, they employ the likes of Mourinho and Conte because they think, hey, that's what big clubs do, they employ people like that. Then they get linked with Nagelsmann because, hey, he's European and trendy, and that's what big clubs do, too.

When they do get a Conte, what happens? He realises it's basically a job where it keeps them happy because he's so swoony and Levy looks good to his mates, and the fans can act like they're part of some football aristocracy rather than a bunch of arriviste non-achievers, but they get treated like shit, because the manager doesn't give a fuck really, he knows they're lucky to have him. It's an imbalanced relationship.

So maybe this time the dynamic will be a bit different, and a tubby Australian from the Scottish league will treat them with a bit of respect back rather than what they got from Conte and Mourinho, which was basically to treat them like some fat granny they picked up down at Julie's on the Quayside at 2am* because, hey, at least it's a bit of leg-over, it's better than nothing.

But it probably don't, and Ryan Mason will be there again with his hopeless, comatose teenage stoner facial expression on MOTD most weeks by January or February.

* apologies, my Newcastle cultural references are decades out of date, but if you wanted to pick up a ropey granny in the late 1980s, Julies was the place to do it.

Spurs are a big club though. All but one season in the top division since 1950, European football for the last 14 seasons, a huge modern stadium with 80,000 on the waiting list. They're getting squeezed out of the very best players by the others in the big six, and the investment in the stadium has diverted some funds no doubt, but their potential is as big as anyone's. There's been a gap between the quality of manager they've been able to attract and the players they've been able to sign, but as I say, they've had the stadium to consider. Arsenal had the same difficulty for quite a few seasons.

No trophies for a while now, but it's very difficult these days to even win one of the knockout cups. 

11 hours ago, brummie said:

Aherm........Greys Club

13 hours ago, brummie said:

This post is exactly it. I can't see what their problem is, they have a chairman who keeps them financial sound and they are hovering around mid to the top of the table so they should be grateful for that (yes, I'm doing shades of every tosser football fan who said similar about us and ashley).

As for the ropey granny, a cockney friend and colleague of mine used to tour up here and would describe them to be as "dorty antees".

I can see why Spurs fans are pissed off. They seemed on the cusp of something special a few years back and have ruined it with managerial appointments and signings that have left them looking a far worse side. Plus the football they play has been dreadful for ages. 

We know better than most that with results and style of play, you can forgive one being bad but not both. Especially for a prolonged period. 

1 hour ago, Interpolic said:

I can see why Spurs fans are pissed off. They seemed on the cusp of something special a few years back and have ruined it with managerial appointments and signings that have left them looking a far worse side. Plus the football they play has been dreadful for ages. 

We know better than most that with results and style of play, you can forgive one being bad but not both. Especially for a prolonged period. 

Yup. And we haven’t won a trophy in that time (you need a bit of luck too).

There’s bits of truth in all of what people are saying, but also the usual problems. Things are cyclical in football, just that the influx of mental money at a handful of clubs has moderated this a bit to maintain something of a status quo for a long time. Levy has been the one constant for us, which has been both positive and negative. @Stal is right to cast shade at the twats who said stupid stuff about Ashley as there are some echoes of that in here as in so many fans’ comments about every rival.

Mourinho was a stupid appointment by Levy. Pochettino was a great appointment by Levy. Timing and luck is important. Eddie Howe was the right man at the right time. @brummie talking about us being arrivistes is a funny wind-up but silly, because it all

depends upon timing. When I started working at the Fort Retail Park I was genuinely surprised by the self-image of the Villa fans around me because they were also-rans at the time (despite me growing up with the Ron Saunders teams). Since then, I’ve been married to a Villa fan for 15 years and I believe this is the first time they finished above Spurs in that time. They are massively on the up, but they’ve been poor for years. The cycle continues.

“It’s the unrealistic expectations of fans and owner who have had probably their longest prolonged spell in the higher echelons in their history and been unsatisfied for most of it.” Give your head a shake. It was fucking great. I’m really fucking disappointed we haven’t won a trophy in that time, but you’re just being stupid or pretending if you think that wasn’t a realistic 

expectation. The expectation is that we’re competent enough - and lucky enough - to maintain our position. 

The biggest issue is in the transitions - it always is. Villa fucked it up for years. Newcastle fucked it up for years. Man U fucked it up. Liverpool fucked it up for a bit. Arsenal got it right from Graham to Wenger, then fucked it up for a bit. Chelsea are fucking it up right now. We have been fucking it up. Just sooner or later, if you throw enough

money at it and make good decisions and/or get lucky it will turn round. At least, for the big, glamorous, successful clubs.

44 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thoughts on the latest appointment, @leffe186?

Well speaking as someone born in Australia who grew up in Palmers Green North London (aka Palmers Greek) I’m chuffed :lol:

I’m trying not to care, but now I’m back in the community I haven’t really got a choice. Plus my Villa wife has suddenly got excited about football again for some strange reason.

I’m always optimistic at heart. It’s definitely interesting. Like people say, could be a stroke of luck, could be a wasted year or two. I’m mainly happy we’ve actually got a manager again. And that we missed out on Europe tbh. 

Either way, now we’re back we’re planning on getting Orient season tickets and building an Akron Leyton Orientears fan club.

Interesting appointment. I think he's what they need for the reasons many have said - he's grateful to have the job and won't behave like Mourinho and Conte, and they could do with a more positive playing style after those two. He needs a good start to get the doubters believing, but having no European football will be a massive help (as we know).

Edited by ohmelads

It’s a gamble but I don’t think Spurs have any choice but to gamble. The big names won’t risk their reputations and a ‘safe’ choice like Rodgers wouldn’t excite the supporters.

I think the main problem is that it looks like a rebuilding job, and that often means taking one step back before moving forward. The media and many supporters have got their teeth into Levy and it won’t take much before ‘sack the board’ starts again.

Spurs have been the most vulnerable of the big six, and it may be that the amount of money going into all the Premiership clubs is going to tweak the picture a bit. The likes of ourselves, Villa and Brighton look like potential challengers now. 

The guy will need a bit of luck and a good start.

Anyone who thinks he's a Levy Yesman... forget it.

Very much his own man and has rebuilt damaged clubs and made them successful everywhere he's gone. Really good at mobilising fans, uniting players and sidelining dysfunctional directors.

Interesting times ahead for Spurs.

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Hearts have gotten around Steven Naismith not having the necessary badges by naming him as 'Technical Director' as a work around with Frankie McAvoy given the official title of Head Coach. 

:lol: We still doing that then?