The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

Before the season started I predicted Ange would do well at Spurs. So it's proved but I do think he's had a bit of luck so far. MUtd missed several sitters; Arsenal gifted them two goals; and the whole Liverpool debacle.

I still think they'll be top 4 or 5 but that luck can't continue. Might get in some Jan reinforcements. He's definitely changed the club in a very short time. 

On 09/10/2023 at 13:04, McCormick said:

Unfortunately (with all due respect to them) the smaller clubs can’t really afford anything resembling a quality English player nowadays. We get lambasted for “overpaying” for British players but it’s been a cornerstone of our success.

I do hope we mix it up more with players from the French league though. Seem to always find success when they come to PL.

Palace did it with their squad refresh. Spent their money on mostly English talent and players with experience in English football. Eze, Olise, Guehi, Anderson, Gallagher on loan. The crown jewels came from the Championship.

They adapt much faster to the PL.  Can take the rough and tumble.

It was a good strategy for smaller teams a few years ago when Championship players were undervalued. Nowadays the best young English players in the Championship are on loan from the bigger clubs; we’ve seen with Gibbs-White and -albeit not in the championship- Lewis Hall recently that clubs don’t let their young English talents go cheaply anymore. I’m sure there some gems and bargains to be had still, but they’re not as prevalent as before.

Completely agree though that a young player performing well in the Championship is likely to be a hit in the PL.

Edited by McCormick

35 minutes ago, McCormick said:

It was a good strategy for smaller teams a few years ago when Championship players were undervalued. Nowadays the best young English players in the Championship are on loan from the bigger clubs; we’ve seen with Gibbs-White and -albeit not in the championship- Lewis Hall recently that clubs don’t let their young English talents go cheaply anymore. I’m sure there some gems and bargains to be had still, but they’re not as prevalent as before.

Completely agree though that a young player performing well in the Championship is likely to be a hit in the PL.

The star lads came from Reading and Millwall. 

Craig Dawson and Cheikhou Kouyaté types are under-rated in a relegation scrap too. 

On 17/10/2023 at 19:13, Ben said:

Williams leaving Gateshead for MK Don's 

Mike Williamson? Didn't realise he was rated these days. Big step up for him go L1. Hope he does alright. Could be some loaning from us at that level as well. 

12 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Mike Williamson? Didn't realise he was rated these days. Big step up for him go L1. Hope he does alright. Could be some loaning from us at that level as well. 

They are League 2. Only about 15 places between the two clubs. Gateshead play a really attractive style of football, they’ve been so impressive this season.

Edited by Ashley17

One year ago today, Steven Gerrard sacked before getting on the team bus home after a meek 3-0 defeat at Fulham.

We were 17th, and only not in the relegation places on goals scored.

P11 - W2 D3 L6 = 9 points. Abysmal and getting worse.

Emery arrives, and delivers - with the same squad minus 1 striker and plus 1 left back:

P25 - W15 D4 L6 = 49 points.

Last week, I genuinely heard Joe Cole say that Gerrard had created the platform for Emery to build on. They never learn, do they?

It's like saying, "the fire brigade did a great job putting out that burning house, but they were really building on the work of the arsonist". 

TELEMMGLPICT000313466712_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Edited by brummie

6 minutes ago, brummie said:

One year ago today, Steven Gerrard sacked before getting on the team bus home after a meek 3-0 defeat at Fulham.

We were 17th, and only not in the relegation places on goals scored.

P11 - W2 D3 L6 = 9 points. Abysmal and getting worse.

Emery arrives, and delivers - with the same squad minus 1 striker and plus 1 left back:

P25 - W15 D4 L6 = 49 points.

Last week, I genuinely heard Joe Cole say that Gerrard had created the platform for Emery to build on. They never learn, do they?

It's like saying, "the fire brigade did a great job putting out that burning house, but they were really building on the work of the arsonist". 

TELEMMGLPICT000313466712_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Fuck off Villa