The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

If they get Simeone, it would be like back to old days of George Graham. Kick the opposition up a height and aim to win one nil.

Wenger's had a brilliant career that was ultimately undermined by the stadium move, the rise of the money clubs, esp. Man City, raiding his team as badly as Liverpool have Southampton, and possibly the odd unlucky move, e.g., offering the escape clause fee for Suarez but for some reason I never understood not getting him. He's still been successful in the cups, but they don't seem to get you much credit any more. He can't spot a player like he could back in the day, I guess the other teams' scouting caught up, but he signed some amazing ones and brought them to play in our league.

When Wenger goes, Rafa will be seventh longest serving Premier League manager. Klopp is fifth with two and half seasons.

I remember vividly when they appointment him, NUFC were ahead of them back then and they appointed this guy no one had heard of, and his first order of business was to bring another unknown with him Vierra. A left field appointment that was so out of keeping with a pretty conservative club. Transformed them practically overnight, we finished ahead of them in 2nd that first season, winning at their place in the final run in secured that, but it was the last time we were ahead of them in his time.

An absolute genius of of football manager, miserable, biased git but always looked out for his teams interests above everything else. The FA should have moved heaven and earth to get him to replace Hodgson, he would have been ideal in that role. Maybe he still can.

If they get Simeone, it would be like back to old days of George Graham. Kick the opposition up a height and aim to win one nil.

Wenger's had a brilliant career that was ultimately undermined by the stadium move, the rise of the money clubs, esp. Man City, raiding his team as badly as Liverpool have Southampton, and possibly the odd unlucky move, e.g., offering the escape clause fee for Suarez but for some reason I never understood not getting him. He's still been successful in the cups, but they don't seem to get you much credit any more. He can't spot a player like he could back in the day, I guess the other teams' scouting caught up, but he signed some amazing ones and brought them to play in our league.

When Wenger goes, Rafa will be seventh longest serving Premier League manager. Klopp is fifth with two and half seasons.

wasn't an escape clause for suarez was it?  didn't it just trigger a notification to him that a bid had been made or something?  certainly wasn't a buyout afaik

wasn't an escape clause for suarez was it?  didn't it just trigger a notification to him that a bid had been made or something?  certainly wasn't a buyout afaik

It was a release clause. Liverpool just refused to sell

They will probably pinch Rafa from us

I don’t think they will go for him, even if they did I find it hard to believe Rafa would go there. He knows the Arsenal fans will not like his style of football, and if they can turn on Wenger for winning the wrong trophies, then Rafa would have to be winning the Champions League to keep them quiet. He went to Real Madrid who turned on him, but Real Madrid were one of his boyhood clubs, so you can see why he took a chance with them.

Not only this but he wants to make a project with a club who has fans who will appreciate him, I can’t see that happening with Arsenal.

On top of all this Arsenal Wenger will be the one making suggestions for the next manager, and I can’t see him going for Radar as it would be a total change in direction for Arsenal.

Tuchel or Jardim imo. Allegri would only be in the running if Juve fail to win the title this season imo.

Think Allegri said a few weeks back his future lies abroad: I think he'll leave Juve at the end of the season

Really? Could you post a link if there is one? Always thought he'd have another go at the CL, he said after Real stuffed them in the final that he thought about leaving, but after what happened in Madrid a couple weeks ago I think he'll want one last go at it. Failure to retain the scudetto will be a disaster and I can see him leaving if they blow it somehow.

Not wanting to sidetrack things but it sounds like Suarez' contract only had a "good faith" release clause, not an automatic one.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-release-clause-in-a-professional-footballers-contract

Since they need defensive solidity, Rafa would definitely move them forward, but he certainly wouldn't be loved as he is here. It could be Chelsea type antagonism all over again.

I'm just sick of listening to Arsenal supporters bang on about how hard done by they are, and their use of the English language is shocking. The clowns you get all over YouTube make me sound eloquent. A nice 13th place finish for dem fam next year would be ideal.

Guest Howaythetoon

Wenger has lit up the Premier League imo, I won't forget how dour and negative they were before him. He'll be missed but rightly regarded as one of the all time greats.

People forget just how good they were under Graham, similar to Chelsea under Mourinho. They were not a sexy football team, but they weren’t route one or dour.

As for Wenger, for all his success and what he has done for Arsenal, he has only himself to blame for the way it’s ending because he has constantly failed to address the glaring weaknesss in their squad and signed some absolute dross or flakey players, often of the same ilk and in the same style or positions.

He’s basically past his sell by date. To his credit he’s kept them competitive in terms of honours and CL football and I’m of the opinion that when Abramovic rolled up that changed the landscape for everyone other than Man Utd when it come to the transfer market. Prices shot up, wages shot up, the hoovering up of talent become an almost necessity and Wenger and Arsenal just couldn’t compete, hence moving to the Emirates.

Now they can compete in terms of transfer fees and wages, but he’s too stubborn and the kind of manager who probably doesn’t feel easy spending so much money, believing he can develop players and turn them into a finished article rather then blowing mega money on such a player. It’s never been his way.

He’s been a huge credit to the PL though and I adore the bloke because I love his style of football, his philosophies and he’s kind of a cool guy. He’s a sore loser and likes a moan, but he’s much mo likeable than most.

It’s a shame how fans have turned on him, even though I think they have a right to ask questions, be critical and yes demand a change. It’s the lack of respect towards him personally that’s troubling.

We would have renamed the City after him probably or the Tyne Bridge had he achieved half of what he has done at Arsenal with us. In many ways they are spoilt and it’s kind of cringe worthy and sad how they have went about voicing their diplseaure. That fan TV thing is a joke and pathetic for example.

For me Wenger has given our game the best team I’ve seen and brought some of the best players to our game and he will be missed. The FA should give him full control of our game from grassroots upwards IMO.

The best coach is the game itself. Don’t try and teach kids how to play, let them learn themselves, let them experiment and then when they are 16 or whatever, then start pointing things out and coach them. Wenger on kids’ football.

Not wanting to sidetrack things but it sounds like Suarez' contract only had a "good faith" release clause, not an automatic one.

exactly, you can't just not sell if it's an escape/release clause

That's exactly what Liverpool did, according to their owner https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/02/liverpool-john-henry-luis-suarez-clause

ignoring the fact they publicly said one thing at the time and he's saying something completely different that is indeed interesting

Wenger has lit up the Premier League imo, I won't forget how dour and negative they were before him. He'll be missed but rightly regarded as one of the all time greats.

People forget just how good they were under Graham, similar to Chelsea under Mourinho. They were not a sexy football team, but they weren’t route one or dour.

As for Wenger, for all his success and what he has done for Arsenal, he has only himself to blame for the way it’s ending because he has constantly failed to address the glaring weaknesss in their squad and signed some absolute dross or flakey players, often of the same ilk and in the same style or positions.

He’s basically past his sell by date. To his credit he’s kept them competitive in terms of honours and CL football and I’m of the opinion that when Abramovic rolled up that changed the landscape for everyone other than Man Utd when it come to the transfer market. Prices shot up, wages shot up, the hoovering up of talent become an almost necessity and Wenger and Arsenal just couldn’t compete, hence moving to the Emirates.

Now they can compete in terms of transfer fees and wages, but he’s too stubborn and the kind of manager who probably doesn’t feel easy spending so much money, believing he can develop players and turn them into a finished article rather then blowing mega money on such a player. It’s never been his way.

He’s been a huge credit to the PL though and I adore the bloke because I love his style of football, his philosophies and he’s kind of a cool guy. He’s a sore loser and likes a moan, but he’s much mo likeable than most.

It’s a shame how fans have turned on him, even though I think they have a right to ask questions, be critical and yes demand a change. It’s the lack of respect towards him personally that’s troubling.

We would have renamed the City after him probably or the Tyne Bridge had he achieved half of what he has done at Arsenal with us. In many ways they are spoilt and it’s kind of cringe worthy and sad how they have went about voicing their diplseaure. That fan TV thing is a joke and pathetic for example.

For me Wenger has given our game the best team I’ve seen and brought some of the best players to our game and he will be missed. The FA should give him full control of our game from grassroots upwards IMO.

The best coach is the game itself. Don’t try and teach kids how to play, let them learn themselves, let them experiment and then when they are 16 or whatever, then start pointing things out and coach them. Wenger on kids’ football.

They were fucking dour under Graham later on in his reign and indeed Terry Neill  and Don Howe before him. Don't you remember the days of the high line offside thus the back four constantly playing with one arm in the air and the famous " one-nil to the Arsenal" chants.  They were fucking boring as sin , man . They weren't as bad when they had the likes of the late and great David Rocastle and Anders Limpar on the flanks, but that was pre Premier League anyhow.

He re-defined what a professional footballer was - the Premier League is what it is because of him.  If he'd spent what the others were spending he'd have won more but crippled the club with debt.  Yet got slated by the fans for it. :idiot2: