2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hansen. :lol:

http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/sites/fourfourtwo.com/files/styles/main-image-landscape/public/itv-bbc-lads-98.jpg?itok=0Dz121I_

Cant remember Bob Wilson defecting to ITV . Some good commentators there. Moore and Davies. Top of the tree with Coleman.

I'd have Shaqiri in ahead of Aranguiz and just have a more attacking hypothetical formation. He's been great.

Thought Shaqiri was very disappointing in the first two games. :dontknow:

The laws of rugby union, as written by the International Rugby Board, define foul play as: "Anything a player does within the playing enclosure that is against the letter and spirit of the Laws of the Game. It includes obstruction, unfair play, repeated infringements, dangerous play and misconduct which is prejudicial to the Game".[2] Specifically, they state that "A player must not do anything that is dangerous to the opponent".[3]

IRB Regulations provide for punishment for contact with eyes or the eye area of an opponent.[4]

Although this is usually called "eye-gouging" by the media, fans and players, the term "gouging" is not used in the IRB's laws or regulations, which do list degrees of gravity of the offence. The IRB themselves have used the term in a 2009 statement: "The IRB are firmly of the view there is no place in rugby for illegal or foul play and the act of eye-gouging is particularly heinous".[5]

Scales of the offence

Following two separate high-profile test match incidents, involving Schalk Burger and Sergio Parisse, during the same week in June 2009, the IRB stated that it would review the sanction structure for this type of offence "in order to send out the strongest possible message that such acts will not be tolerated".[5]

The regulations provide a scale of seriousness:[4]

Lower end: up to 12-week ban.

Mid range: up to 18-week ban.

Top end: greater than 24-week ban.

The maximum sanction is a 156-week (3 year) ban.

In sevens, bans are officially expressed in numbers of matches instead of weeks, reflecting the schedule of the IRB Sevens World Series for men and women, as well as other major events for sevens teams.

Bans handed out across the world have ranged from 3 weeks to 2 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye-gouging_%28rugby_union%29

Eye gouging used to be more common and was more tightly regulated as a result.  But the very fact there's explicit regulations about it show it's at least a rugby related offence.  There's no chapter on what constitutes an illegal bite, or the severity of different types of bites in the FIFA rulebook, because it's completely out of the scope of the game, in a way that I don't think eye gouging is - in that in rugby you're allowed to grab your opponent with your hand, and there are regulations relating to where and how you're allowed to grab them.

A bad tackle might give a worse injury than a bite, but at least a tackle is a football thing, a bite is a bar room fight thing.

I'd have Shaqiri in ahead of Aranguiz and just have a more attacking hypothetical formation. He's been great.

Agreed. He was fantastic against Honduras though.

Agreed. He was fantastic against Honduras though.

Looked absolutely superb. Interested to see if he can make an impact vs the Argies. I reckon he can.