Newcastle United vs West Brom - Saturday 30th November @ 5.30pm (live on Sky)

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now there's a question. Opinion is divided on the subject and if you have a browse through the last few pages of the Alan Pardew thread you'll get some idea of the views of the different factions. I think its a combination of some decent attacking football, some excellent defending and a slice of luck. Although as far as luck goes we've not had anything close to what Chelsea got against you lot at Stamford Bridge. In a lot of our matches we seem to play well for 45 minutes, more often the first rather than the second half. We can be good enough to hurt any side but go to crap if we have a lead. We sit back and invite pressure and we aren't very good at doing that.

How come? Cardiff second half/Liverpool second half/Chelsea first half/Spurs second half/Norwich second half? 3 goals conceded and only dropped points against Liverpool with 10 men. That's a fair return really so i wouldn't say we aren't very good at it.

I think we've conceeded after half time in every game (bar one) that we've taken a lead in.  Not sure if that is statistically significant at all as i'm not happy face and so won't compare every single team over a ten year period, but it does imply we're not shutting up shop after a half time lead extremely well.

Although I think we've only dropped points once from a half time lead so i suppose that goes the other way.

Now there's a question. Opinion is divided on the subject and if you have a browse through the last few pages of the Alan Pardew thread you'll get some idea of the views of the different factions. I think its a combination of some decent attacking football, some excellent defending and a slice of luck. Although as far as luck goes we've not had anything close to what Chelsea got against you lot at Stamford Bridge. In a lot of our matches we seem to play well for 45 minutes, more often the first rather than the second half. We can be good enough to hurt any side but go to crap if we have a lead. We sit back and invite pressure and we aren't very good at doing that.

How come? Cardiff second half/Liverpool second half/Chelsea first half/Spurs second half/Norwich second half? 3 goals conceded and only dropped points against Liverpool with 10 men. That's a fair return really so i wouldn't say we aren't very good at it.

:lol: :lol:

Hull?

I don't think we really sat back in that game, they scored straight after half time from a set piece, we were trying to break them down they were catching us out on the break. Things weren't going our away on the attacking front, Ben Arfa was having an absolute stinker, he could hardly control a ball. we lost that game due to Pardew not having an answer to Hull's change after the first goal went in. Everton first half would have been a better game to choose if you wanted to put your point forward, we sat back and got passed off the park.

I don't think we're very good at it, and thats based on watching us do it. Against any side there are going to be chunks of the match when we don't have the ball. We are at our best when we press the other side and don't just sit there and watch them. We invite teams back into games that we should win convincingly, we especially seem to do it against the less than stellar sides in the league. And we do not look bullet prooof when we do it. Did the same last season on a number of occasions (Reading at home was a horrible example).

Guest Roger Kint

If Yanga-Mbwia is dropped then he has it all wrong in my opinion. Have some balls and drop Coloccini.

Would have to agree with this.

Me too its a poor decision imo, its better to stick with MYM now he is playing well than drop him again for a bloke seemingly desperate to leave

Guest neesy111

If Yanga-Mbwia is dropped then he has it all wrong in my opinion. Have some balls and drop Coloccini.

Would have to agree with this.

This.

More to do with how well we did in a few games without Colo and the entire mess surrounding his future, fair enough for fans to doubt his commitment and want to see an inform player who wants to be here starting ahead of him.

That comment has nothing to do with how well the team are playing without him. I think his off field comments have led to some anger which has then drifted to them criticising his qualities on field.

He was a big contender for man of the match against Cardiff away, got injured whilst with Argies, came back last Saturday and was looked average and lacking a bit of match sharpness! The stick on here that he's been getting is very harsh from a playing perspective.

Same back 4 by this imo

“Mike Williamson will play on Saturday, 100%.

“He’s had his chance, and he’s grasped it.

“It’s a position where if you are winning games, it’s difficult to change the team.”