Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

They might go out there tonight, play their normal way and win 2-0, great.

He's saying though he'd rather play well and lose rather than grind a result. I just don't get that at all.

"Play well and lose, 100%, because this game is about us being able to perform at Old Trafford and being able to show to ourselves that we can compete with teams away from home eye-to-eye.

"Sometimes the result in is the lap of the gods; it can be a bad decision from a referee or a piece of magic from a player. We need to have a substance to our performance so we can take ourselves to the next level. I want to play well, be the better side and win. But I would settle for playing well, being the better side and losing. It's about the long-term."

really, no idea what he's on about huh?

Like I said though, we know he's capable of going there and winning. He's beaten Chelsea playing that way (albeit at home).

No ones going to turn their noses up if they're under the cosh for much of the game, play scrappy stuff, and win 1-0 in the 89th minute after a long punt up to Lukaku.

Like I said though, we know he's capable of going there and winning. He's beaten Chelsea playing that way (albeit at home).

No ones going to turn their noses up if they're under the cosh for much of the game, play scrappy stuff, and win 1-0 in the 89th minute after a long punt up to Lukaku.

i'm genuinely baffled by your entire approach to these quotes, i honestly am

I've read them. I just don't know what he's got to prove to himself though. He knows he's good enough to win playing that way. My point though is in what world, not adapting if it's not going to plan and they're losing, is changing it up not even more a sign of a good manager?

I've read them. I just don't know what he's got to prove to himself though. He knows he's good enough to win playing that way. My point though is in what world, not adapting if it's not going to plan and they're losing, is changing it up not even more a sign of a good manager?

where are you getting that he said he'd never adapt during a game?

also, i just had a quick check and moyes didn't win a single game at OT in 10 years despite being what you might fairly (imo) term a cautious manager in some respects and also someone who was known for having a competitive team and grinding out results

i see martinez's comments as being about changing the culture of the club for the next 10 years to come, to stand toe to toe with them and hopefully at the end of it being the ones who are the best

it's his ambition, the way he see's the club being able to progress beyond also-rans

Guest firetotheworks

To be honest, for the first and probably last time ever "I don't see what's wrong with what he's said."

He's just said that he's an inspiration surely? He's talking crap as usual of course, but it's not that big a deal. I'll just hate him for absolutely everything else that he says, does and thinks.

I've never heard any other manager say what Martinez has said. Of course, he may be right in saying that it's better in the long term to stick to a philosophy of playing positive football, even if it means a few defeats on the way. I'm not sure it's wise of him to say that, though.

I'm inclined to think that the very, very best managers - Ferguson, Clough, Mourinho etc - would do whatever it takes to win.

You would be the first one to shower pardiola with grief if it was him saying these words rather than Martinez.

Anything Pardew says you will always find something to moan about.

Aye, that's bollocks.

You would be the first one to shower pardiola with grief if it was him saying these words rather than Martinez.

Anything Pardew says you will always find something to moan about.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43526456.jpg

I think Martinez is saying that he wouldn't go into such a game with the intention of keeping things tight and playing scrappy, and hoping to nick a result.

And I say bravo to that, because that crap hardly ever works! Especially against the better teams, as they just end up camping on your side of the pitch and bombarding you all game, while you hope nothing goes in, and you can spring the odd counter attack and score from it.

Now, even I you go in with the best intentions to play well, you could potentially still end up in a scrappy game if things aren't quite clicking for you. I don't think this is the kind of situation he's referring to though, as I'm sure he'd be more than happy with a win then.

It's more the approach you take into the game he's speaking of I think.

I think Martinez is saying that he wouldn't go into such a game with the intention of keeping things tight and playing scrappy, and hoping to nick a result.

And I say bravo to that, because that crap hardly ever works! Especially against the better teams, as they just end up camping on your side of the pitch and bombarding you all game, while you hope nothing goes in, and you can spring the odd counter attack and score from it.

Now, even I you go in with the best intentions to play well, you could potentially still end up in a scrappy game if things aren't quite clicking for you. I don't think this is the kind of situation he's referring to though, as I'm sure he'd be more than happy with a win then.

It's more the approach you take into the game he's speaking of I think.

Yep I can get behind that, you should go into games with the outlook of playing well, but a bit of this attitude reminds me of blackpool's season in the premier league. Everyone said how they play the right way, attack the big teams, and they went down despite some great results because they let in too many goals and weren't able to get consistency when teams stopped them playing. The Premier league is not a kind place for purists and is actually all the better for it imo.

Anyway this argument is quite silly actually, I like Martinez in some ways, in other ways not, for all his talk of 'purity' of play he's launched ridiculous defences of Mirrallas and McManaman which if his players were on the receiving end he'd be livid, and anyway in this I agree with a lot of the sentiment, just not the stark "i'd rather lose" aspect of it.

When we finished fifth it was all built on a basic 4-4-2 with Cabaye and Tiote in the middle, a centre forward scoring for fun alongside a limited hold-up man and a sprinkling of pretty rubbish Englishmen in the side.

Sound familiar? :lol:

That's it. He's gone back to what he knows and he is good at it tbf. It'll never be exciting but he's not up to anything different.

He's also largely abandoned several staples (such as Krul taking all free kicks more than forty yards from their goal and the lump to Williamson). Question remains as to what happens when one or two injuries arrive, what happens when we go behind etc but life feels so much easier when we're winning so enjoy it.

There's that particular question answered, in exactly the same way it was answered in that season. We fall behind, we get battered.

Guest VanBarduck

Taylor, Ben Arfa, Cissé and Gutierrez all knocking at his door asking to play more. They've all been left out of the squad  ;D