Newcastle United 5 - 1 Stoke City - 26/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 39

Rich

It went out. They showed it on Soccer Extra this morning. There was daylight between the line and the ball before it was crossed.

Just because you can see the grass doesn't necessarily mean the whole ball is over.

exactly, it just means the ball is off the ground. if its the pic i saw it proved nothing, and i suspect the ball was slightly on the line.

I've watched replays several times and its hard to say but if I had to gamble, I would have put money on NOT all of the  ball being out of play which means play continues and the goal correctly stands.

I have watched old film of our Cup Final win against Arsenal in the 1930s and the ball definitely WAS out before(I think it was)Allen crossed it for a goal to us.

Having watched a recorded highlights of the game, it is clear that we were a bit fortunate to get such a big win but Stoke DID cause their own downfall. Stupid petty offences leading to sending-offs are the players' own faults. However, they were clearly the better side before that and we looked as if we missed Tiote badly. Sissoko had a poor game and he was guilty of the worst decision of the day when he delayed passing the ball on the edge of their area when Remy was clean in on goal had he done so. Instead, Sissoko chose to take the HBA route and try to beat 2 players, which he failed at miserably.

Definite pen for challenge on Remy(shirt pull, why don't more refs punish these?)but a shocking miss by Remy. This could have been costly but Remy is too good a player to let his game be affected by that and he duly redeemed himself with an equaliser but he got lucky with the deflection too.

Williamson definitely handled before the goal but its touch and go whether you class it as ball to hand or the reverse which is why no FK was awarded.

Once Stoke lost 2 players, there was only going to be one winner and they began to give up after we went in front. Any sense of grievance they had was cancelled out by the non awarding of a pen when Cabaye was clearly pushed off the ball in their area and the challenge on Haidara was also worthy of punishment more severe than that meted out so they couldn't really complain.

We may still have won had they not got players dismissed but it would have been tough. We cannot rely on such generosity from Lady Luck when we play Arsenal and there is NO ref in the PL that would penalize them as severely as Stoke were punished. We need to hit the ground running against Arsenal or our successful run will come to a certain halt.

Positives in this game..? Remy once again proving that his pace worries defences, another composed performance by Cabaye capped by an excellent goal, a fine subs appearance from Haidara(going to be a good player, adds balance to the side by using his left foot)and HBA showing that IF he has enough room, he causes teams big problems...but we knew that anyway and Arsenal will NOT be as generous....

Great result for the fans at Christmas and keeps us in a much better position than we expected to be in at this stage.

Having watched a recorded highlights of the game, it is clear that we were a bit fortunate to get such a big win but Stoke DID cause their own downfall. Stupid petty offences leading to sending-offs are the players' own faults. However, they were clearly the better side before that and we looked as if we missed Tiote badly. Sissoko had a poor game and he was guilty of the worst decision of the day when he delayed passing the ball on the edge of their area when Remy was clean in on goal had he done so. Instead, Sissoko chose to take the HBA route and try to beat 2 players, which he failed at miserably.

Definite pen for challenge on Remy(shirt pull, why don't more refs punish these?)but a shocking miss by Remy. This could have been costly but Remy is too good a player to let his game be affected by that and he duly redeemed himself with an equaliser but he got lucky with the deflection too.

Williamson definitely handled before the goal but its touch and go whether you class it as ball to hand or the reverse which is why no FK was awarded.

Once Stoke lost 2 players, there was only going to be one winner and they began to give up after we went in front. Any sense of grievance they had was cancelled out by the non awarding of a pen when Cabaye was clearly pushed off the ball in their area and the challenge on Haidara was also worthy of punishment more severe than that meted out so they couldn't really complain.

We may still have won had they not got players dismissed but it would have been tough. We cannot rely on such generosity from Lady Luck when we play Arsenal and there is NO ref in the PL that would penalize them as severely as Stoke were punished. We need to hit the ground running against Arsenal or our successful run will come to a certain halt.

Positives in this game..? Remy once again proving that his pace worries defences, another composed performance by Cabaye capped by an excellent goal, a fine subs appearance from Haidara(going to be a good player, adds balance to the side by using his left foot)and HBA showing that IF he has enough room, he causes teams big problems...but we knew that anyway and Arsenal will NOT be as generous....

Great result for the fans at Christmas and keeps us in a much better position than we expected to be in at this stage.

You can't make a statement, that Stoke were Clearly the better side before the sendings off, based on just watching highlights. I watched the whole game and they were not, it was a nothing game which they were edging with a great goal, outside of that they created nothing of any worth, as did we, just a few long shots from either team. Possession was even and territory probably belonged to us on a whole for that period.

You can't make a statement, that Stoke were Clearly the better side before the sendings off, based on just watching highlights. I watched the whole game and they were not, it was a nothing game which they were edging with a great goal, outside of that they created nothing of any worth, as did we, just a few long shots from either team. Possession was even and territory probably belonged to us on a whole for that period.

They definitely looked more promising prior to the sending off.  We weren't comfortable at all. 

They definitely looked more promising prior to the sending off.  We weren't comfortable at all. 

We looked lively for the first 5 minutes or so, it became even and by the time they scored they were edging it. They then had a player, and incredibly, their manager send the referee "please send me off " cards and they fell to pieces. By the end with a missed penalty, two efforts smashed against the woodwork and but for a lot of refereeing sympathy they could have conceded ten.

Their sane supporters should be absolutely livid that they through away a decent position and ended up being embarrassed.

There was quite enough of the first half shown to come to the conclusion I did...they even passed the ball better than we did for large parts of the first half.....everyone has their own view of things but in the main, I stick by what I said in this case.

There was quite enough of the first half shown to come to the conclusion I did...they even passed the ball better than we did for large parts of the first half.....everyone has their own view of things but in the main, I stick by what I said in this case.

I really don't get all this soul searching...There will be games we lose although seemingly the better side.

Coates making an official complaint :lol:

This is what he's said -

"The performance of the referee and his officials was a disgrace, and we will certainly be complaining to the relevant authorities.

"We cannot accept what happened to us at Newcastle without making some form of representation.

"It's then up to the officials what they do, but we found it hugely disappointing because there were so many poor decisions.

"There was no common sense applied and I don't think either of the yellow cards for Glenn Whelan were deserved.

"For one of the goals I could clearly see the ball was out of play, sitting high up in the stands.

"The sendings-off completely changed the game. We were playing ever so well up to the dismissals, leading one-nil, but when you're down to nine men you've got no chance.

"It's not a case of sour grapes, we simply cannot accept what happened."

This kind of thing really makes my blood boil. I can understand how difficult it is for players and coaches to be objective, because they're so intensely involved in what's going on. But when a club Chairman responds in this utterly pathetic way, I just despair.

Referees have a difficult enough job to do without this kind of idiotic and selfish intervention by someone who should be showing an example to his players, his coaching staff and his fans. Shame on you, Mr Coates.

First yellow for Whelan was a bit dodgy and the Williamson handball could easily have been given but other than that the rest were bang on. Score 5, miss a penalty, hit the post, hit the bar, have 2 more (really good) penalty shouts turned down as well as a few other chances which should have been put on target and they can hardly complain.

Basically anything after Wilson's red can be discounted because at that point we could have scored at will if we had to.

The two yellows are the only real bone of contention - for all the chat about one or both being deserved, if we're honest with ourselves, we'd be absolutely seething if one of our players were dismissed for those, especially the first yellow, and I don't think most referees would have done that either.

Basically anything after Wilson's red can be discounted because at that point we could have scored at will if we had to.

The two yellows are the only real bone of contention - for all the chat about one or both being deserved, if we're honest with ourselves, we'd be absolutely seething if one of our players were dismissed for those, especially the first yellow, and I don't think most referees would have done that either.

Personally i'd be more pissed off at our player for needlessly giving the ref a decision to make, and his stupid comments to Cabaye after his first yellow Definatly didn't help. If he wasn't already on a yellow I think most people would agree he should of been booked for it, really annoys me how a player already on a yellow card gets more leniency than one not when it comes to dishing out a card.

Personally i'd be more p*ssed off at our player for needlessly giving the ref a decision to make, and his stupid comments to Cabaye after his first yellow Definatly didn't help. If he wasn't already on a yellow I think most people would agree he should of been booked for it, really annoys me how a player already on a yellow card gets more leniency than one not when it comes to dishing out a card.

This

the first yellow was right, it wasn't for the foul, kicking the ball away or the aggression with cabaye, it was for doing all three. I agree with others who've said they'd have been seething if one of our players done that, a lot more than being annoyed at the ref.