Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Leicester have been heavily linked to Musa all through January and now in the summer. I wonder if they see him as Vardy's replacement. He is even faster than Vardy and really thrives on team that counter-attack, but has some real shortcomings and hasn't anywhere near the presence, intelligence, or composure. Maybe Raineri will work magic on him too.

The fact they were linked to Musa in January leads me to believe Vardy/Vardy's agents may have been making noises about leaving for some time. It seems very odd to me that he would sign a new contract in February (when it was clear Leicester were very serious) with such an easily attainable clause.

Feel for the Leicester fans. Hoped (not that I have any allegiance to them) that they would keep the team together for at least a year and see how they get on in the Champions League. Mahrez and Kante will be next and then they'll line up a totally different team

The whole 'last big contract' is bollocks as he'd no doubt get whatver he wanted from Leicester.

It is more like "first big contract" for a player of his caliber.

€40m yikes!

He's got potential but he's massively raw, can't see him adapting to the Premier League straight away.

He (Eric Bailly) has all the physical tools, but nothing of the few games I've seen from him in Spain or for Elephants would make you think he is one of the best in the world, as the price indicates. It is difficult to see him displacing Smalling or Jones as well. Mourinho must think he can transform him.

Umtiti seems off to Barcelona.

Why doesn't Vardy fit Arsenal's style? I'd imagine Ozil et al. would love threading balls through to him. His pressing would be invaluable to that team too. Think it would be a great fit.

The diving and swanning around might be a good fit for Arsenal, but he can only ever run in straight lines and shoot, and Arsenal aren't exactly the most direct team.

They might be if they had a striker who could run

They've played Walcott up top and not a thing changed.

Bit of a difference between Walcott and Vardy, like.

Why doesn't Vardy fit Arsenal's style? I'd imagine Ozil et al. would love threading balls through to him. His pressing would be invaluable to that team too. Think it would be a great fit.

The diving and swanning around might be a good fit for Arsenal, but he can only ever run in straight lines and shoot, and Arsenal aren't exactly the most direct team.

Its the same when Welbeck plays up top. Point im making is that its all well and good bringing in players with pace and pressurising defenders but Arsenal's attacking play isn't really based around that style imo.

I may be proven wrong and Wenger may change his ways but its not a great deal from either side for me.

Cant blame Vardy, he cant have earned a huge amount of money (by football standards) during his career, so makes sense to sign a big contract while he's hot property.

Shame he couldn't have signed an improved contract with Leicester with an agreement to be sold at the end of next season.

He signed a new long term deal for 80k p/w during the season.

Im sure that'll be more than enough to sort him out for life. Not to mention all his off the pitch contracts too.

It's a shame for Leicester but Vardy's not doing anything wrong. Leicester are never going to do anything like they've just done, it's a lifetime peak. He has climbed the leagues through his hard work and he's now in a position to play for an elite club. He doesn't have much career left, it's the right thing to do.

And from Vardy's point of view he's still getting Champions League football. Arsenal's tippy tappy stuff isn't going to suit him, not sure how he fits into a team that tries to walk the ball in.

It's a shame for Leicester but Vardy's not doing anything wrong. Leicester are never going to do anything like they've just done, it's a lifetime peak. He has climbed the leagues through his hard work and he's now in a position to play for an elite club. He doesn't have much career left, it's the right thing to do.

Think he could have at least stayed to see how they were doing by January (same goes for any of their new star players), but at his age and in his circumstances it does make more sense.

Its the same when Welbeck plays up top. Point im making is that its all well and good bringing in players with pace and pressurising defenders but Arsenal's attacking play isn't really based around that style imo.

I may be proven wrong and Wenger may change his ways but its not a great deal from either side for me.

Vardy is more than just pace. His movement is going to allow the three behind him more space to play in and give other teams more to think about. Ozil ended up with what, 19 assists last season was it? Imagine how many he could end up with now he has someone with that movement in front of him. If the ball doesn't go to Vardy it's because he'll have made a run in behind occupying a defender or two, leaving either of the wide players space to play in. Having an out ball may see Arsenal play some longer stuff occasionally too but it certainly allows them to up their tempo as well.

It's sad really.  We kid ourselves that we will struggle to hold onto players because the club as a whole is lacking ambition and has been under-performing.  But here is a club that has not only qualified for the Champions League but has won the title, and it looks like they will lose all their best players.

I understand why but it is still a sad indictment of modern football.

Can't blame him at all for going imo. It represents an astonishing rise in his career and at his age it's likely the last chance he'll get to play for a huge club. Maybe harsh on Leicester, but if you'd have told their fans they'll win the league but at the expense of their best players at the start of the season we know what the answer would have been.

And from Vardy's point of view he's still getting Champions League football. Arsenal's tippy tappy stuff isn't going to suit him, not sure how he fits into a team that tries to walk the ball in.

Do you not think Wenger realises they need to mix it up a bit, and sign a player like Vardy? As mentioned, someone with aggression and edge who annoys defenders, everything Arsenal lack. People have twisted about Wenger's methods for years now and when he finally looks like buying someone who alters it somewhat he's still doing wrong.

Cant blame Vardy, he cant have earned a huge amount of money (by football standards) during his career, so makes sense to sign a big contract while he's hot property.

Shame he couldn't have signed an improved contract with Leicester with an agreement to be sold at the end of next season.

Im sure that'll be more than enough to sort him out for life. Not to mention all his off the pitch contracts too.

Fed up of this kind of mentality like. So he'll go home with about 2 million a year after tax, where as his team take home £150m from TV money alone. He was one of the top scorers in the premier league, it's not about whether he'll be scraping for pennies when he's 60. He should be paid the going rate for one of the top scorers in the league.

Fed up of this kind of mentality like. So he'll go home with about 2 million a year after tax, where as his team take home £150m from TV money alone. He was one of the top scorers in the premier league, it's not about whether he'll be scraping for pennies when he's 60. He should be paid the going rate for one of the top scorers in the league.

Aye. Fully agree. So much money in football now. If Theo Walcott is on 120k, can't begrudge Vardy leaving to get 150k. That's the going rate for a striker at his curent level

Guest chopey

If its true that Vardy is pushing 30 and he's only had 4 seasons in professional league football then you can't blame him for accepting Arsenals offer I hope they play him as an out and out striker tho.

If its true that Vardy is pushing 30 and he's only had 4 seasons in professional league football then you can't blame him for accepting Arsenals offer I hope they play him as an out and out striker tho.

What do you mean if it's true he's pushing 30? Do you doubt his age?

Do you not think Wenger realises they need to mix it up a bit, and sign a player like Vardy? As mentioned, someone with aggression and edge who annoys defenders, everything Arsenal lack. People have twisted about Wenger's methods for years now and when he finally looks like buying someone who alters it somewhat he's still doing wrong.

Aye but will he actually change his methods regardless of who he signs though ? I can't see Wenger even tweaking his philosophies to accommodate 1 player who's only had 1 exceptional season.

He's had one good season for which he was rewarded for. Not to mention that he stated 2 weeks ago that he wouldn't be going anywhere as he wanted to continue the next chapter with Leicester. Are you forgetting he scored only 5 goals the season before? I dont begrudge Vardy a move but apart from the added ££, I think he will regret it in the long run if he cares about playing football more. You're going on as if he's some world class striker whos constantly done it and deserves all the recognition of other proven players but he's far from that.

Lets not forget the likes of Michu and Zaki who everyone thought would go on and prove themselves at a top club but ultimately flopped after a wonder season with their clubs.

Vardy's game is based around pace and movement alone which is something that Wenger's team dont exactly build their own game around.

I could ultimately be proven wrong but if Arsenal dont go out and sign a world class striker and it ends up with them just signing Vardy whilst Man U sign Ibra  and the other big clubs continue to improve then they'll have a big challenge on their hands to finish top 4.

Aye but will he actually change his methods regardless of who he signs though ? I can't see Wenger even tweaking his philosophies to accommodate 1 player who's only had 1 exceptional season.

I was about to answer Stuy_O with just about the same answer as yours  O0. I think Wenger knows he needs to change or it'll be another rinse and repeat March out of everything season yet again, whether he can is the issue. The last 10 years or so would indicate no for me, but i suppose you never know.

At least Vardy's wife gets to feel like more of a WAG now they'll be in glamorous London. No wonder she was getting shit on twitter. She will have been packing the bags as soon as the rumour to Arsenal started

At least Vardy's wife gets to feel like more of a WAG now they'll be in glamorous London. No wonder she was getting shit on twitter. She will have been packing the bags as soon as the rumour to Arsenal started

Been through about 30 footballers apparently. Will probably upgrade munters to Mesut Ozil at Arsenal.

Been through about 30 footballers apparently. Will probably upgrade munters to Mesut Ozil at Arsenal.

:lol: