Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Guest Howaythetoon

Stones has exceptional footballing ability for a defender and can only improve, on the continent his game would be lauded not derided. Given who his new manager is I can see him developing even further as a footballer. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in midfield. We also need to basically forget about the size of transfer fees these days, they have went beyond being obscene and are irrelevant in the rand scheme of things.

It wouldn't be lauded if it resulted in making stupid mistakes that lead to goals for the other team as it did in Stones' case last season

He's 22 or something playing under a manager that isn't renowned for his defensive acumen. Of course in reality he isn't worth anywhere near the money he has went for, but then neither is Ritchie for us for example. Its about the end result. If he helps City win honours the money will mean nowt. Same with all the money we have spent this season. If we go up its pennies really!

Abel Hernandez to Villa

McCormack 21 championship goals last season

Hernandez 21 championship goals last season

Gestede 20 goals in his last championship season

not bad.

They have Ayew as well who I'd back to score well at this level. All seems a bit top-heavy though.

Stones has exceptional footballing ability for a defender and can only improve, on the continent his game would be lauded not derided. Given who his new manager is I can see him developing even further as a footballer. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in midfield. We also need to basically forget about the size of transfer fees these days, they have went beyond being obscene and are irrelevant in the rand scheme of things.

It wouldn't be lauded if it resulted in making stupid mistakes that lead to goals for the other team as it did in Stones' case last season

He's 22 or something playing under a manager that isn't renowned for his defensive acumen. Of course in reality he isn't worth anywhere near the money he has went for, but then neither is Ritchie for us for example. Its about the end result. If he helps City win honours the money will mean nowt. Same with all the money we have spent this season. If we go up its pennies really!

Well I agree with all that just that he wouldn't be lauded on the continent if he played like he did last season

Abel Hernandez to Villa

McCormack 21 championship goals last season

Hernandez 21 championship goals last season

Gestede 20 goals in his last championship season

not bad.

Yeah, that concerns me. Starting to think we really need to pull a rabbit out of the hat, here.

I believe that Rafa will form a cohesive unit that will, ultimately, be very difficult to beat for the majority of teams in the division. But there's only Ritchie who I'm absolutely confident will really force the issue from an attacking point of view. Janmaat, Diame and Perez all could do. Gayle too, providing he's got a big man alongside him. But there's too many maybes there.

If our goal is to wipe the floor with the league then we need someone who is going to be one of the best wingers in the division; I watched Sheff Wed/Villa and Foristieri would be a great fit. We need a good target man too, either to supercede Mitrovic or at least be an option if/when he's injured/suspended.

Man I hope we smash Huddersfield. I must admit that our only other experience in the Championship had me supremely confident that we'd walk it but Fulham has confirmed that it's not going to happen in the same way.

The fact that Gestede & Hernandez have scored that many in the league tells you everything you need to know. Desperately average strikers.

Would like to see is bring another in but Mitrovic/Gayle/Perez/Ritchie should have more than enough.

The fact that Gestede & Hernandez have scored that many in the league tells you everything you need to know. Desperately average strikers.

Would like to see is bring another in but Mitrovic/Gayle/Perez/Ritchie should have more than enough.

I'd like to think so, but I don't think there's enough goals there at all. Perez isn't prolific, and Mitrovic is more battering ram than finisher. Gayle and Ritchie have experience in the league, granted. Moreover, how often will we see these guys all on the pitch at the same time?

It's the unpredictability that's worrying. Perez Mitro and Gayle should be capable of scoring a very decent amount, but we can't look back at previous stats like Villa's strikers for reassurance. I'm still very confident we'll go back up, just might be a bumpy first month or so. I have faith that we'll respend in January if we are say 3rd/4th too.

Yeah they should be fine, but different leagues don't always quite translate perfectly. Perez needs to sort himself out like,  really hoping he has a stormer at the weekend because he's not looked himself for a while now.

Who are you going to replace Williams with?

Surely you can't rely on van der Hoorn, Amat and Fernandez as your CBs this season

My guess Amat, he is a good defender and we're lucky he's still here with Williams and Fernandez keeping him out, his chance to shine. VdH has looked decent as competition and we have a highly rated younster Joe Rodon coming through.

Fair enough, every time I've seen Fernandez play I always thought he could be quite shaky but Williams helped him to be less shaky. And that van der Hoorn barely played for Ajax. Don't know much about Amat. You'll have seen them more than me though :thup:

Shouldn't Villa be focusing on their midfield? Looks terrible.

Unless they're thinking of a 4-2-4 with Hernandez, McCormack, Gestede and Ayew up front

It really didn't work playing Gestede, Ayew and McCormack against Wednesday. It left a shaky Cissoko exposed

I hope this Hernandez deal doesn't happen though, as against the smaller teams in the league, they will smash them too many goals in the team not too

Shouldn't Villa be focusing on their midfield? Looks terrible.

Unless they're thinking of a 4-2-4 with Hernandez, McCormack, Gestede and Ayew up front

It really didn't work playing Gestede, Ayew and McCormack against Wednesday. It left a shaky Cissoko exposed

I hope this Hernandez deal doesn't happen though, as against the smaller teams in the league, they will smash them too many goals in the team not too

I'm probably wrong but I have always got the impression that being able to score lots of goals in the Championship gets you further than a tight defence.

Aye, completely agree.

All you need to do is look at who has been top scorer in this league for the past 10 years to realise the quality is actually quite naff.