Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Prefer him to Tioté based on today's performance, but would still rather we had a more creative player in his role. There's no creativity in any of Tioté/Colback/Sissoko/Anita. De Jong's not really going to add to it much either.

I disagree - I think he will.

:thup: de Jong is going to make us tick IMO

I wasn't expecting that, he has to be my MOTM today.

He was all over the pitch winning the ball, and when others saw him winning the ball they joined in by closing down and making the tackles as well.

The pleasing thing today was he wasn't just winning the ball on the edge of our box, he was winning it on the edge of their box as well. My self I love it when teams close down all the time. I can't stand it when a team will allow another team to have possession and I hate it when teams only try to win the ball back when the opposition are in the final 3rd. Closing down and tackles should be done all across the pitch.

If you win a tackle on the edge of your own box all you do is prevent the opposition from creating a chance, if you win a tackle on the edge of their box then you create a chance, and thats what Jack and the rest of them did today, a lot of our caches came because we were pressing so high up the pitch.

Our MOM today IMO and the fans (where I was anyway) responded really well to him...be interesting to see how Pardew accommodates Tiote when fit...not to mention De Jong who I think will be huge for us. Nice problem to have a just need a finisher!!!

set piece delivery was solid. worked hard and didn't give up. Feel Cabaye would have probably been booked against this lot for one of his snidey challenges late on. Not a 1 for 1 replacement, but not as horrible as expected either.

You let him take free kicks?

Only had one of note I think, Cabella hit it into the wall.

Jack should be allowed to take our corners and in-direct free kicks, Cabella (or someone else) should be allowed to take our direct free kicks.

His set pieces were dangerous (as have been in pre-season) so long as he hasn't been informed to hit it long towards Williamson.

set piece delivery was solid. worked hard and didn't give up. Feel Cabaye would have probably been booked against this lot for one of his snidey challenges late on. Not a 1 for 1 replacement, but not as horrible as expected either.

He took the long ones. The short, direct ones were Cabella's.

In all honesty I've always said he was a decent player and one with very good technique.

Just surprising to see him doing that. Was his delivery decent?

I never got a chance to see it what with Larsson lording over every set piece we've been given for the past three or four seasons

In all honesty I've always said he was a decent player and one with very good technique.

Just surprising to see him doing that. Was his delivery decent?

I never got a chance to see it what with Larsson lording over every set piece we've been given for the past three or four seasons

Well, I watched the game again and tbh, his freekicks and corners were better than Cabella's. We atleast created half chances from his delivery. Would like to see how's he like taking direct freekicks though. Cabella hit his' right into the wall though the City wall were stepping over the magic spray line.

Our MOM today IMO and the fans (where I was anyway) responded really well to him...be interesting to see how Pardew accommodates Tiote when fit...not to mention De Jong who I think will be huge for us. Nice problem to have a just need a finisher!!!

We need more than just a finisher...we need CBs who can stop OTHER teams' finishers...

He's not cover for Tiote. He's better than Tiote.

Where was this opinion when the combined XI threads were knocking about?

I posted my opinion of him way before he signed. This is not a knee-jerk reaction to his debut. Go check the beginning pages of the thread.

He's not cover for Tiote. He's better than Tiote.

Where was this opinion when the combined XI threads were knocking about?

I posted my opinion of him way before he signed. This is not a knee-jerk reaction to his debut. Go check the beginning pages of the thread.

My post was in jest tbf I think Colback is a good player. He's better than a lot of people give him credit for. Watching the lad in the youth team he stood out a mile, ahead of Henderson who's come on leaps and bounds and will be an England regular for years.

He's not as athletic as Henderson but he's better on the ball. Our team will be better with him sitting in the middle with Anita, starting counter attacks. We'll come up against slower midfields and defences and we'll do all right.

Did you see the pass Henderson played yesterday for Sterling's goal?

He's a very consistent player, I don't expect his performance levels to drop. I've watched him through two loans spells at Ipswich and during his breakthrough at Sunderland, and he's a very good, assured player.

People seemed more focused on taking potshots with playground jokes because I said I knew him and he was a canny lad. :-/