Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

Needs to come off set pieces immediately

Ritchie looks like he'd be f***ing mint at them. Strikes a ball very well, he needs a crack.

Don't even think he took one tonight except that short one

Ritchie looks like he'd be f***ing mint at them. Strikes a ball very well, he needs a crack.

He did take one free kick that was driven in. Left channel second half.

He was awful tonight, like. He's just not a striker in a million years and will always struggle in such a role.

He's an enigma like. He's by far, for me, our most talented technical player yet he often lacks that little something. It's frustrating.

His one moment of magic was turning that defender in the second half only to get clattered when he was clear. The ref didn't even produce a card.

I mean from just the way in general he strikes the ball. Always with good power and technique. Just looks like he would be good at set pieces.

I mean from just the way in general he strikes the ball. Always with good power and technique. Just looks like he would be good at set pieces.

I agree completely :thup: Was just commenting that it was ridiculous Ritchie didn;t even take a proper one tonight. Hopefully that's different next week

He needs to stay like because we lack quality, but he really was poor tonight. It's not very often I've questioned his attitude but he seemed to go through the motions in the game

At times he was lazy and the partnership between him and Gayle didn't work

Of all of the poor performances last night, I was most worried about Perez's. I really expected him to thrive in this division. Whilst him and Gayle never looked like it was going to be a good fit, it is the second game in a row where Ayoze has just looked a bit lightweight. In attitude as well as physicality. Not sure how to capture what seems missing, but if you saw Janmaat's drive to get into the box late-on and rage at being called back for a freekick when he was through, it is that. Ayoze needs more of that, and sharpish.

Playing him wide might give him a bit more time and space.  I think the centre is inevitably going to be congested so we need someone in their with a bit of physical presence and the ability to open things up.  Also means we can abandon the abomination that is Anita on the wing.