Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

He was moping around sulking last season with his head down showing little enthusiasm. It was a depressing situation to be in last season so I hoped he simply got sucked into that as a young lad, which is still poor. Yet last night - fresh start, positivity from everyone - he was caught on his heels, looked as slow as anything and was only animated when he was complaining to the ref about not getting a foul. I know it's only one game and the odds are he will improve but I do think he needs to give his head a shake and re-asses his attitude. When he first came he was fearless and enthusiastic, buzzing around everywhere and encouraging his teammates playing with a smile on his face. That hasn't been seen for a while now and we can't wait any longer as there's simply no time to waste.

Think he needs to play out wide or not at all tbh. Would like to see us go with Mitro and Gayle up front, with Gayle dropping deep when needed.

Such a shame De Jong is made of damp paper towels, he could be a real asset at 10 in this league.

I'm starting to worry about him but trying not to jump to conclusions. See how he's doing after another 4 or 5 games.

I tried to say a few days ago on here that while he's got bags of talent, he still has a lot to prove. Jury is out for me whether he can achieve more than 10 in this league.

Think he needs to play out wide or not at all tbh. Would like to see us go with Mitro and Gayle up front, with Gayle dropping deep when needed.

Such a shame De Jong is made of damp paper towels, he could be a real asset at 10 in this league.

If anyone in our squad could play the Nolan role - behind two strikers picking up on loose/late balls - it's de Jong, certainly. Unfortunately he's about as durable as wet toilet paper.

I wouldn't have taken him off personally, he still looked our best bet after Ritchie to produce something, but he needs to start delivering. Far too sloppy in key moments yesterday.

He was one of our most disappointing players last season imo. Lightweight up front, frequently has poor touches when he shouldn't, weak shooting, and horrendous balance at times allowing opposition defenders to brush him aside after his first touch. Some of these issues were on display last night.

For whatever reason he's he's gone backwards since his breakthrough season. I suspect he's lost some confidence - hopefully a goal or two and he gets it all back.

I just think he's a left winger, not a centre forward. Pretty much everything good he does on the ball comes with him running into the box from out wide.

I think I agree with this.  He kept turning into trouble and just got bullied out of it in tight spaces all night.  His touch seemed off and he had a shitter.  But so did most of the team. 

I always thought he should be playing as a 10.  But I am yet to see him have a good game there.  Or if he has, I have forgotten about it. 

I really rate Perez.  Hope he can sort it out and find some form.  Hasn't played well consistently for quite some time. 

Guest neesy111

Glad you lot aren't in charge, we'd have literally no players because you sold them all after one bad game [emoji38]

This isn't just one bad game.

Glad you lot aren't in charge, we'd have literally no players because you sold them all after one bad game [emoji38]

This isn't just one bad game.

Aye having big doubts about the lad.

He's paying a bit of a price for his early career flexibility imho.

He's been played on the wing, behind the front man, as a front man etc.

I don't think this has helped him develop his game in the way that it first appeared he might.

In his defence, he comes across as an intelligent lad, who appears to be willing to put in the graft/dedication required.

He either needs a commitment from the manager in one position, through the good games and the bad, or he needs to sit the next month of so out and recalibrate.

I really like him but he's not developed lately at the speed he initially did imho and, dare I say it, maybe looks like he's going backwards a wee bit.

He needs some belief from Rafa imho.