Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

I just love it when certain players (or indeed the manager) make some of our 'fans' look like the absolutely clueless knackers they are. Beautiful.

Who’s clueless?

Quite a lot of our fans. They turn up pissed, constantly looking at their phones/checking their bets, boo players with little or no understanding of the game. Worse still, their online equivalents, who've literally never been to a game in their life.

You must have seen them?

Could see Arsenal or maybe Spurs going for him but I reckon he’ll be back to Spain if he leaves at all.

no chance, if rafa leaves and we're in turmoil again could see an everton/west ham/watford coming in for him as they'll have the money to turn ashley's head but he'll not get a move above that level and no one abroad will pay for him

He's a clever finisher, and as people have said, the current team allows him to get forward a bit more and play to his strengths.

Despite the appearance of his height and physique, he's a striker, not a number 10. And in either role, I don't think he's got enough to hold down a place at the bigger clubs.

He’s been here since he was a bairn practically. He’s got as much in common with the NE than he does with Spain at this stage.

I think that's a little over the top. He was 20 years old when he came here iirc.

Five years in the toon has erased his heritage 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

He may well have more in common with the NE than Spain considering Newcastle is closer to Madrid than the place he comes from  :)

He'll stay if Rafa stays. Thanks and bye Ayoze.

That seems to be what he was saying looking at his quotes in the papers yesterday. I can't blame him he has been managed by the likes of Pardew and McClaren and now finally has a manager in Benitez that has taken his game to another level. He will only go backwards if he stays next season without Benitez. I think other key players like Lascelles, Dubravka, Schar and Rondon will feel the same way if Benitez leaves and will look for a move in the summer. With many squad players expected to leave as well and likely having to find Benitez's replacement its going to be brilliant watching it all once again blow up in the clubs face as they will be overwhelmed by all these problems in the summer.

As for where Perez could go. I can see him back to Spain to someone like Valencia or Sevilla although I think he would fit in well at Arsenal under Emery if they were interested.

He's a clever finisher, and as people have said, the current team allows him to get forward a bit more and play to his strengths.

Despite the appearance of his height and physique, he's a striker, not a number 10. And in either role, I don't think he's got enough to hold down a place at the bigger clubs.

I disagree. He's a classic second striker, a role pretty popular in a lot fo Europe's top teams today, Spurs for instance play with one, sometimes Dele Alli. He would offer them more in that role than Alli does - not saying Spurs will come in for him like, but I think he could hold his place down in teams far bigger than us.

Guest godzilla

Will be like Sissoko & Wijnaldum when he goes to a top 6 club. Our fans will mock how we’ve ‘ripped them off’ for £25-30m when in reality he’ll thrive in that environment.

Not a chance in hell a top 6 club would touch him here or in Spain. When he has done it consistently over a full season or two then he may get that move but until then no chance.

Will be like Sissoko & Wijnaldum when he goes to a top 6 club. Our fans will mock how we’ve ‘ripped them off’ for £25-30m when in reality he’ll thrive in that environment.

Not a chance in hell a top 6 club would touch him here or in Spain. When he has done it consistently over a full season or two then he may get that move but until then no chance.

Neither of the aforementioned players managed consistency over a full season or two. Maybe managers and scouts recognise he’s a better player when not playing in a squad full of championship players.

Guest godzilla

Neither of the aforementioned players managed consistency over a full season or two. Maybe managers and scouts recognise he’s a better player when not playing in a squad full of championship players.

Sissoko got a move due to the Euros and Wijnaldum was an international and scored a few goals in his debut season. Perez not an international and has only shown good form in patches since he’s been here. Let’s see in the Summer if a top 6 club comes in for him here or in Spain. I’ll be gobsmacked if they do. As someone mentioned more likely an Everton, Watford type team will try.

Sissoko got a move due to the Euros and Wijnaldum was an international and scored a few goals in his debut season. Perez not an international and has only shown good form in patches since he’s been here. Let’s see in the Summer if a top 6 club comes in for him here or in Spain. I’ll be gobsmacked if they do. As someone mentioned more likely an Everton, Watford type team will try.

Both of them are still turning out pretty regular for their teams, they were good additions to their squads. Even if you didn't like them or rate them, they were still our best players at the time, that's why we cashed in when the opportunity came.

The lad seems to have his head screwed on. He’s in a win win situation. If we sell, he’ll command a decent transfer fee. Maybe up to 25m.. increase his wages and use all the experience here to improve as a player for a new club

If he stays it will be because the club will have done the right thing. All good for him.

I disagree. He's a classic second striker, a role pretty popular in a lot fo Europe's top teams today, Spurs for instance play with one, sometimes Dele Alli. He would offer them more in that role than Alli does - not saying Spurs will come in for him like, but I think he could hold his place down in teams far bigger than us.

Dunno why Spurs did not persist with Alli in that role. He seems to play much deeper as a midfielder now. Maybe its to push Eriksson forward, I don't watch them enough to know in detail. Alli was sensational a couple of seasons ago, now he looks more like a midfielder bruiser who gets the odd header.

Very few teams play with a deep lying playmaker like Shelvey, so much of Perez's time in the team in that formation, i.e., chasing and trying to hold it up, will be of little reference to other teams when judging him. That's not something they'll make him do. Since that's a good chunk of his time here, it's easy for us to form an overly negative opinion of him. As we've seen since Almiron arrived, with options around him and less pressure on him alone to make things happen, he's a different player.

I don't have access to the stat, but a lot of his goals must have been winners. No-one playing for us gets to score meaningless goals, the fourth in a four nil etc.

It depends on what you expect of a second striker. Some like to play off a target man, and are often in the most advanced position, using their finishing skills. Others tend to drop deeper, and get defined more as a 'Number 10', linking play and creating for others.

I just think that Ayoze is far better in the former role. In a number 10 role, he's not especially creative, tends to lose the ball and plays with his head down.

I think that last sentence may have been true 6 months ago but not now.  He creates plenty for us now and doesn't lose the ball that often

well, he's got movement and options around him now which he rarely had before..he's obviously improved but the overall team/tactical situation has helped with that