Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

People talk about Ayoze having purple patches at the back end of last season and this - but for me it's almost entirely down to having someone to share the workload that is so often passed unremarked. Last season it was when Kenedy was actually a footballer, and this season after Almiron signed. Outside of those periods, he's had someone significantly worse around him, like Atsu, Ritchie, Murphy etc.

He's top of all the defensive stats (amongst the league's other forward) because he works like a dog, but when he has someone to help him press and harry and tackle, he flourishes as an attacker.

If we lost him, I wouldn't be that upset. As long as Rafa stays, that's all that matters. Let's say we got 30 mil for him, I'd get Maupay from Brentforfd. He plays a similar stye and has 24 in the Championship this season. Think he could get 10 in the Prem. Think there are still steals in the market. Maupay would probably be 15-18 mil. Personally would be best for both arties if he left. His career could get a lift and we need the cash.  :undecided:

Will be like Sissoko & Wijnaldum when he goes to a top 6 club. Our fans will mock how we’ve ‘ripped them off’ for £25-30m when in reality he’ll thrive in that environment.

Not a chance in hell a top 6 club would touch him here or in Spain. When he has done it consistently over a full season or two then he may get that move but until then no chance.

Neither of the aforementioned players managed consistency over a full season or two. Maybe managers and scouts recognise he’s a better player when not playing in a squad full of championship players.

Sissoko got a move due to the Euros and Wijnaldum was an international and scored a few goals in his debut season. Perez not an international and has only shown good form in patches since he’s been here. Let’s see in the Summer if a top 6 club comes in for him here or in Spain. I’ll be gobsmacked if they do. As someone mentioned more likely an Everton, Watford type team will try.

I probably agree with the top-6 in England sentiment, but I don't see why Getafe, Valencia and Sevilla would be beyond the realms of possibility.

Other than the fact that they won't pay as much as Everton, Watford et al.

I think Ayoze will leave if Rafa doesn't sign a new contract.

As will Lascelles, Schar and Dubravka too. Rondon won't sign and Lejuene will leave when fit again.

It's vital to keep Rafa.

And for Rafa to stay I think it's vital that Ashley sells the club.

But it must go fast and thats not Ashleys strength(either).

I think Ayoze will leave if Rafa doesn't sign a new contract.

As will Lascelles, Schar and Dubravka too. Rondon won't sign and Lejuene will leave when fit again.

Considering the comments by Lee Charnley about the training ground I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t realise the above :lol:

If we lost him, I wouldn't be that upset. As long as Rafa stays, that's all that matters. Let's say we got 30 mil for him, I'd get Maupay from Brentforfd. He plays a similar stye and has 24 in the Championship this season. Think he could get 10 in the Prem. Think there are still steals in the market. Maupay would probably be 15-18 mil. Personally would be best for both arties if he left. His career could get a lift and we need the cash.  :undecided:

Glad you’ve confirmed Ayo as a class act with this post. Thank you.

Will be like Sissoko & Wijnaldum when he goes to a top 6 club. Our fans will mock how we’ve ‘ripped them off’ for £25-30m when in reality he’ll thrive in that environment.

Not a chance in hell a top 6 club would touch him here or in Spain. When he has done it consistently over a full season or two then he may get that move but until then no chance.

He'd fit Simeone's style of play at Atletico but that might be a bit too big of a step up for him.

He'd fit Simeone's style of play at Atletico but that might be a bit too big of a step up for him.

If the last three to six months have shown anything, it's that Ayoze stands out and looks a much better player when playing alongside quality. He'd step into a top six club effortlessly.

I'm not the biggest fan of raw stats but just take a look at his important goals and assists, and then look at how his important tackles and interceptions compare to similar players in top six clubs, then try and put a price on buying someone who is performing at a similar level.

Ayoze Perez exclusive: Newcastle star on Rafa Benitez staying, his pride at rubbing shoulders with Toon legends and rumours of La Liga exit

The Spaniard is loving life on Tyneside at the moment but wants to finish the season on a real high

Ayoze Perez admits that Rafa Benitez's future is very much on the mind of Newcastle United players at the moment.

The Toon boss still doesn't know whether he will be at St James' Park beyond the final game of the season at Fulham, and the majority of United's squad seem to want Benitez to stay.

Benitez has demanded focus on Saturday night's clash against Brighton as the Magpies look to aim for a strong finish to the campaign.

But Perez told the Chronicle: "Our feeling is that we want him to stay, like the fans do.

"We can hear them singing exactly that - they want him to stay.

"That's our feeling in the dressing room.

"Since he arrived here things have become better and the club is growing. That means a lot.

"Keeping him our bench will mean so much, but it's not in our hands.

"They will deal with it.

"It is going to be in the summer when we find out."

The Amex Stadium will always be the scene of fond memories for United fans and Perez - despite last season's 1-0 defeat in the Premier League.

For it was on the South Coast that Newcastle took a huge stride to promotion in 2017 when Perez bagged an 89th-minute winner.

Perez, who netted a stunning hat-trick against Southampton last weekend to secure safety, said: "I have very happy memories of playing at Brighton.

"That win meant a lot to us, it helped us get to where we are today in the Premier League.

"It meant we bounced back to the Premier League straight away.

"So it's great memories down there playing for Newcastle."

Much has been made of Perez's future with talk of a move to La Liga in recent weeks - sparked by an interview in the Spanish media.

But Perez admits he loves life on Tyneside and after leaving the field to a standing ovation last weekend after his hat-trick against the Saints, Perez said: "It's an amazing place here.

"I never forget I wasn't even a professional when I signed for Newcastle.

"I can't thank the club enough for what they have done for me.

"I will always be thankful about the decision I made.

"To be able to play for Newcastle for five years for this great club as well."

Perez moved up to ninth in United's all-time top scorer chart in the Premier League thanks to his treble at St James' Park.

It meant he moved past Obafemi Martins, Demba Ba and Gary Speed in the top 10.

Reflecting on the feat, former Tenerife star Perez said: "I am buzzing, but I still have to process these thoughts before I fully realise how important it is.

"It is something really special to be on that list and I want to stay in it for a long time.

"To be on it for a big club means a lot."

Perez is also United's top scorer for the season and with three games left he could also edge towards 50 goals for the club in all competitions as he sits on 46 strikes overall.

After arriving for just £1.6million from Tenerife in 2014, he has proved to be one of the best bargains in the club's history.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ayoze-perez-newcastle-united-future-16179444

Am I the only one getting a strong "Dear John" vibe from this?