Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

• 2 weeks later...

Who would have thought the captain of the Eredivisie-winning Ajax team a couple of seasons ago could be of any use to us. Carr needs shooting.

These two points seem to contradict each other :lol:

Thought he did really well today. Much better in the air than I expected as well.

Hopefully he carry on starting and get some match fitness and momentum going. I reckon he'd link up well with Perez if Mclaren would play them both together.

Siems much more suited to starting games, rather than coming on as a sub. I was really impressed with his intelligence off the ball, he led some really good pressing and you can see that's something that's been properly coached into him. He was actually talking too, pointing to players where they should be and always communicating. As much as I like Perez, that's just something he can't provide that we really do need (there should still be a place in the starting XI, imo). On the ball, he was decent, tried to keep play moving quickly with good touches but sometimes ahead of his teammates. Some nice movement too.

He looks good when he gets on the ball but in a counter attacking team like ours, I don't feel he's effective enough. How do we play like his Ajax team did and control the ball and attack with ease? He needs touches much closer to the opposition box than he's getting right now. It'd help if one of the two central midfielders offered something in attack.

He should be there in the team as we could see players listening to his orders and organisation. He's the type of guy I would have in the team to pick up the scraps in and around the box, someone that we don't have other than him.