Official: Daryl Janmaat joins Watford for £7m

bowlingcrofty

Every time I see him he looks like he's two moves ahead of everyone else, extremely smart, uncompromising and always finds himself in acres of space.

Way too good for us, how we got him and for so cheap is beyond me.

Just thinking about it - Janmaat has adapted to the demand of the league far quicker. He's equally paced, if not 1/2 a step or so better. He's better positioned and less prone to getting caught out. His work rate is quite brilliant, he's tracked some runs down centrally and made some great tacklers. Debuchy is probably better in the air. Debuchy probably is a better slide tackler, Janmaat seems better reading of the game. Janmaat looks better at intercepting and breaking. I'd say he's a better dribbler, better crosser, and more intelligent attacker.

Guest firetotheworks

This might sound like an odd thing to say, but physically he doesn't look like he should be as good as he is. His pace and strength is very good, but it's his tenacity that I like the most. He's the thing that I enjoy most about us at the moment, he's clearly a very good player.

So he's on four yellow cards now? So he will probably get his fifth at Arsenal and be fit and fresh to face the mackems.

Hopefully he doesn't and can play against Spurs.

I can't see him play against both Arsenal and Spurs without getting a yellow, so i would much rather have him ready for the derby.

So he's on four yellow cards now? So he will probably get his fifth at Arsenal and be fit and fresh to face the mackems.

I can't see him play against both Arsenal and Spurs without getting a yellow, so i would much rather have him ready for the derby.

Done really well this season. Needs to keep his nose clean vs Arsenal and Spurs, would be a massive miss for either of them, as it's probably the only position we really don't have anything in the way of cover for.*

* really don't see Anita as a fullback, I know others will disagree.

Why, the Spurs game is far more important.

Why, the Spurs game is far more important.

I agree... was thinking 95% of our supporter base has probably not seen us win anything especially now the UEFA now claim the Fairs Cup wasn't a proper competition! :lol:

As for the comparisons this lad seems a slight upgrade on Debuchy in most departments apart from aeriallly where the Frenchman was a beast especially for his size...

Apart from aerial ability I think Janmaat's as good or better than Debuchy in every respect. Have to say that replacement was brilliant business.

Not sure his energy levels are quite as good as Débuchy's. That was what MD was best at and he would play with the same energy for the full 90 minutes. He's one of the fittest players I've seen play for us.

Apart from aerial ability I think Janmaat's as good or better than Debuchy in every respect. Have to say that replacement was brilliant business.

Not sure his energy levels are quite as good as Débuchy's That was what MD was best at and he would play with the same energy for the full 90 minutes. He's one of the fittest players I've seen play for us.

That also put him in positional trouble. Janmaat is a more composed and cerebral footballer. He'll happily pick and choose when to break forward.