Are you now completely finished with NUFC?

Mr. Snrub

Moving away from Newcastle, combined with the Ashley/Pardew/Carver era has just taken away any love I had for the club.  I didn't even watch the derby yesterday, just didn't care.  It didn't hurt when I found out we lost, I just expected it.

But now I'm in a weird situation because my second team are Bournemouth.  They're usually in the third or fourth tier so there's never been any issue with them coming up against each other, and if they'd ever somehow made it to the top level I'd always have supported Newcastle.  But now I'm really excited about them in the Premier League next season with their ambition and a great young manager and players - basically everything to like about them is everything NUFC lack.  I think next season I'll be following them and just ignoring the games vs us.

You cannot support two football clubs. And you certainly cannot change your club unless you are a young child.

So aye, enjoy watching Bournemouth pretending you love them. Hopefully they turn shit and Newcastle eventually become a football club again soon. Then you'll no doubt want to change back.

:lol:Nicely ignoring the bit where he's written 'following' and not 'supporting'

:lol:

Everyones got a few clubs they quite like? I'd say i support the toon but have soft spots for a few others, which doesn't mean support, go to games or get at all emotionally involved but just kind of quietly root for when playing against anyone else but us but still laugh when something comically bad happens to them :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I think everyone's the same but in terms of just enjoying a team playing excellent football. I've probably watched Barca on their own this season than all Premier League matches including Newcastle. It's not support, I just love football and that is football. The Premier League is fucking wank at the moment.

Guest firetotheworks

How could you ignore 'your' club for 38 games and follow another for 36 games? (If they get promoted)

Baffling.

Because watching us is essentially watching a team that doesn't really care about winning? It's the whole 'how can you help someone that doesn't want to help themselves?' situation.

How could you ignore 'your' club for 38 games and follow another for 36 games? (If they get promoted)

Baffling.

i couldn't ever support another club but only this derby has really got me hugely upset since the Carver appointment, the rest has just been numbness. It wouldn't be too difficult to ignore Newcastle and follow another team, as opposed to support. I enjoy watching football, and with the void of newcastle left blank i probably would prefer to watch some teams over others, not get massively engaged.

Thing is i won't ignore us, i will continue to watch us (though not go to games) when possible, like a sucker for punishment, looking out for some glint of positivity, some sign that ashley is not long for this world

Wow. Well, let's start with all the things I never said. I never said I prefer Ashley to Kronke, I never said I prefer to be out of Europe than in it, I never said Arsenal weren't doing well. My original point, which appears to have been completely lost in the ensuing posts, is that when I look at Arsenal fans and the way their club is being run, I genuinely don't see a model that I would like any future owner of Newcastle to adopt, if their actual publicly stated goal was ambition and success as a secondary consideration to simply being a well run business (they should at the very least be equal aims)

Maybe people will understand if I relay this: one of my best mates is an Arsenal fan, and you know what? He didn't seem to me to be half as happy after their cup win as I imagine I would have been had we won just one of those two finals in the post-Keegan years. And his happiness certainly didn't seem to cancel out the increasing disappointment he's felt as the years ticked by and a succession of clubs have matched, and then superceded, their achievements, without his own club seeming to be declining (although in reality, they were merely standing still).

He seemed conflicted - and do you know why? Although he would never say it, I believe it's because his club's outlook, as embodied by cup wins like that, fall squarely between two stools. He can't be ecstatic about a cup win in the way other clubs might be if it was perhaps unexpected or a major upset, and yet he also knew this one cup wasn't about to herald a new dawn in the clubs history in the way it did for Chelsea or Man City. In his heart of hearts he knew it was what it was, a pretty sparse return for god knows how many years in the hallowed top four, which supposedly marks you out as a big club. And even though it wont matter in a few years - the final is still fresh in the memory, people still recall what kind of a performance it was.

Now, if people still don't get it, that's fine, I know how I feel as an NUFC fan of many decades experience of pretty much sod all in terms of success, and there's not really much anyone can tell me about Arsenal's recent history that I don't already know. But I didn't come here to talk about Arsenal, so I'll be leaving it at that.

Guest Howaythetoon

My brother-in-law, a die hard Arsenal fan and one of the most knowledgeable about the game people I know, him and his dad didn't even hang around for their Cup win celebrations last season.

Anyway...

You cannot compare NUFC to Arsenal on any level whatsoever

Guest firetotheworks

Cutting through all of that, you said you preferred this to that. That's actually what you said.

I'm not sure why I can't edit posts, but that first paragraph at the end should of course read

" if their actual publicly stated goal was ambition and success over and above simply being a well run business (they should at the very least be equal aims)"

That of course should have been be obvious if you've been following my train of thought...lol

My brother-in-law, a die hard Arsenal fan and one of the most knowledgeable about the game people I know, him and his dad didn't even hang around for their Cup win celebrations last season.

Precisely. I'm not sure why this seems to be such a surprise, up until now I thought it was basically common knowledge in football that this was how quite a lot of gunners felt about it.

You cannot compare NUFC to Arsenal on any level whatsoever

I'm not even attempting to..... :frantic:

It was all purely hypothetical, based on what we could be if Ashely pissed off....

Guest Howaythetoon

Precisely. I'm not sure why this seems to be such a surprise, up until now I thought it was basically common knowledge in football that this was how quite a lot of gunners felt about it.

My brother-in-law says winning the FA Cup is great, but finishing 4th is more important and while I took the piss out of him over this corporate kind of modern day Sky type of POV, that's the way the game has now become where cups are not important, to clubs, to fans, to anyone other than those that have never won one or went years without success.

Today we would celebrate a Cup win like never before, but if we were regular winners of things and competing in the CL like Arsenal, we would eventually value a singular Cup win as a bite meh because that's the way the game is played at the very top.

Arsenal aim to win every league and cup game they take part in. Newcastle United aim to take part in every game league game.

Aside from being English football clubs in the top flight there are no similarities.

The what we could be attitude is so disgusting, i could get up tomorrow morning and get run over but that doesn't stop me from leaving the house :lol:

Notice how it only ever works one way as well. It's never we could be great.

Baffling.

I'm already ignoring Newcastle, Ashley has sucked out all the passion I had for the team.  Being from the Westcountry, Bournemouth are probably my Gateshead.  They were a local lower league club all through my childhood, and are suddenly on the verge of promotion to the Premiership.  If Gateshead managed that I'm sure a lot more people would be in this situation.  I'm not planning to transfer my allegiance or anything

http://i3.thejournal.co.uk/incoming/article7621321.ece/alternates/s615/JS44040376.jpg :yao:

, but it's a welcome change to the apathy of the last few years.

I've not read any of the previous posts in this thread, so apologies if this is not in line with the current chat.

The subject of this thread is ridiculous, if our current situation deters you from supporting our club - good riddance.

You should support the club; the owners, managers, staff and players all change (sometimes on a very regular basis) - but you should still stand/sit there for 90 minutes supporting the club.

If you are happy to walk away because we have an owner you don't like at the minute, or a player you dislike, then it's a "cya" from me.

No doubt many will disagree, but that's my personal feelings on the matter.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've not read any of the previous posts in this thread, so apologies if this is not in line with the current chat.

The subject of this thread is ridiculous, if our current situation deters you from supporting our club - good riddance.

You should support the club; the owners, managers, staff and players all change (sometimes on a very regular basis) - but you should still stand/sit there for 90 minutes supporting the club.

If you are happy to walk away because we have an owner you don't like at the minute, or a player you dislike, then it's a "cya" from me.

Just for you I'd love to see the club relegated.

Hooray - the voice of reason.

Honestly, the utter negativity on this board worries me. Posters wanting us to get relegated? Like the WTF. No deal at all.