AshleyOut.com

TK-421

I don't think you could trust 2008 Keegan with completely running the club in the way you can Benitez like. As much as I love Keegan there's a lot of romanticism about his 2nd spell here, we ended the season playing some really good stuff but it was no certainty that he would have us at the top again given time.

He had an utter shiite group of players completely demotivated by Allardyce's insanity, a group that could barely string passes together by the time he took over, and within a couple of months had them playing pretty decent football on a par with teams around 6th-9th. The man still had it because I'm guessing what he has can't be lost - he's just a naturally damn good manager. Unfortunately for us we've not had the owners to reflect and support his mentality, whilst he's also not had the "right" mental and personal traits to stick things out long term at a football club when those above him don't share his vision.

Tbf, and I'm not sticking up for Ashley, but I don't his mentality was right when he came back. He retired from City to get out of the game, was coaxed out of retirement a few years later and retired again within half a year after stating the difference between us and Chelsea (I think) was too big - I know the reason he quit wasn't that, but that interview sticks out. He always wore his heart on his sleeve but he seemed to have lost a lot of love for the game from leaving us to returning and in hindsight he wasn't the right fit at all. Contrast that with Rafa who won the league and then was watching the bairns a day later.

It goes without saying that Keegan in 92 is the best thing that has happened to the club in my lifetime.

Tbf, and I'm not sticking up for Ashley, but I don't his mentality was right when he came back. He retired from City to get out of the game, was coaxed out of retirement a few years later and retired again within half a year after stating the difference between us and Chelsea (I think) was too big - I know the reason he quit wasn't that, but that interview sticks out. He always wore his heart on his sleeve but he seemed to have lost a lot of love for the game from leaving us to returning and in hindsight he wasn't the right fit at all. Contrast that with Rafa who won the league and then was watching the bairns a day later.

It goes without saying that Keegan in 92 is the best thing that has happened to the club in my lifetime.

So far...

I think there's a difference between Keegan and Rafa like. I get the feeling Keegan speaks completely full of emotion. Whereas I think Rafa will have been more logical and methodical. Which probably appeals to a businessman more.

To compare Shearer the Manager to Benitez the manager? Madness  :lol:

• 3 months later...
Guest The Little Waster

Keegan was a manager of a different era, had been out of the game 3 years before coming back and doesn't have anywhere near the track record Rafa does.

Rafa is somebody who wants to build and model the entire club, will present a vision for improving infrastructure, the youth set-up, and has as wide a knowledge and connections in European football as any manager. Let's not forget that Keegan binned off the youth team during his time here, he was never one for building other aspects of the club. I think for all his merits as a motivator and in building teams you can't compare him to Benitez. In my opinion Ashley will be far more convinced by Benitez and his model for running the club, and will see him as somebody could be the goose who lays the golden eggs for him. That works in our favour, and will win Rafa more control than Ashley was ever willing to afford to Keegan.

I'm not saying the Keegan fiasco was at all acceptable - this has been done to death on here and we all know the story. Just pointing out how Benitez is IMO far more likely to win over Ashley due to his management style and way of handling things.

Lol the ever hopeful downtrodden sheep

• 2 weeks later...

If rafa walks it will be keegan all over again. Wonder which pfm is lined up...

Pearson?  Pardew?

I'll no longer be a fan, so I'm not worrying about it.

Giggs will finally get the gig he 'truly deserves'.:anguish:

If rafa walks it will be keegan all over again. Wonder which pfm is lined up...

Pearson?  Pardew?

I'll no longer be a fan, so I'm not worrying about it.

prob me too until ashley is gone