Charlie Austin

HawK

i'm not from the region or the UK for that matter but numbers in sports are f***ing significant man :lol: people retire shirt numbers across the world to pay respects to the legends who wore them. f***ing hell what a dumb post.

Of course there is a legacy to the shirt but its historical significance means nothing to anyone outside of the club it self and yet I've read a couple of times in the press the idea that if we give him "the number 9" it would sway his decision in some way. I'm sure he'd rather an extra 5 grand a week and to play in number 34 given the choice. 

The whole idea of retiring shirts is a nonsense as well but that's another discussion all together.

I dunno about that. MLB has retired a single number across the league (individual teams have retired their own in addition), the #42 of Jackie Robinson. It's a way of acknowledging achievements that go above and beyond in service of the game (and far more in Roninson's case), that no one will ever be fit to wear *this* number again because of whom it implicitly represents.

If you're going to look at a shirt with reverence I think it should be seen as a mantle to hand down to others, not to be retired and to become an antique. I think it's slightly different in american sports where you have far more numbers to choose from.

I can't comment on MLB or the player you've listed specifically but I understand why teams retire the shirts, I just don't really agree with doing so unless it's for truly exceptional reasons (incredible contribution, tragedy etc). It looks like it could get out of hand and one day you'd be missing a good chunk of the available numbers. I mean I'm sure there are some pretty questionable retired shirts in the MLB.

i'm not from the region or the UK for that matter but numbers in sports are f***ing significant man :lol: people retire shirt numbers across the world to pay respects to the legends who wore them. f***ing hell what a dumb post.

Of course there is a legacy to the shirt but its historical significance means nothing to anyone outside of the club it self and yet I've read a couple of times in the press the idea that if we give him "the number 9" it would sway his decision in some way. I'm sure he'd rather an extra 5 grand a week and to play in number 34 given the choice. 

The whole idea of retiring shirts is a nonsense as well but that's another discussion all together.

I dunno about that. MLB has retired a single number across the league (individual teams have retired their own in addition), the #42 of Jackie Robinson. It's a way of acknowledging achievements that go above and beyond in service of the game (and far more in Roninson's case), that no one will ever be fit to wear *this* number again because of whom it implicitly represents.

If you're going to look at a shirt with reverence I think it should be seen as a mantle to hand down to others, not to be retired and to become an antique. I think it's slightly different in american sports where you have far more numbers to choose from.

I can't comment on MLB or the player you've listed specifically but I understand why teams retire the shirts, I just don't really agree with doing so unless it's for truly exceptional reasons (incredible contribution, tragedy etc). It looks like it could get out of hand and one day you'd be missing a good chunk of the available numbers. I mean I'm sure there are some pretty questionable retired shirts in the MLB.

:thup: that's fair

It's definitely different in football due to the tradition of players wearing numbers 1-11 exclusively...if you wore 9 it's because you played that position. To my knowledge numbers have never correlated with positions in baseball...they have and do in the NFL to some degree, though it's a range (QBs can only wear numbers 1-19 for example)

I always thought the "outrage" when Dempsey wore #2 for Spurs, despite not being a RB, was funny, but again we don't really have that tradition in our sports. In football, the number is more than the man who wears it, which I respect.

Guest Howaythetoon

The number 9 under this lot means fuck all, but under a KK or whoever, it meant a great deal and still does to would be Geordie strikers dreaming of one day representing their club. Sadly even this is under threat as Geordies turn down the chance to go to NUFC's academy for the mackems or Boro. I know a lass who has 2 sons and they are both on the mackems books despite being Toon fans and one of them will make it big, Rooney style, that's how good he is. His surname initial is R and his last initial E.

The number 9 under this lot means fuck all, but under a KK or whoever, it meant a great deal and still does to would be Geordie strikers dreaming of one day representing their club. Sadly even this is under threat as Geordies turn down the chance to go to NUFC's academy for the mackems or Boro. I know a lass who has 2 sons and they are both on the mackems books despite being Toon fans and one of them will make it big, Rooney style, that's how good he is. His surname initial is R and his last initial E.

:lol: so Ethan Robson then.

The number 9 under this lot means f*** all, but under a KK or whoever, it meant a great deal and still does to would be Geordie strikers dreaming of one day representing their club. Sadly even this is under threat as Geordies turn down the chance to go to NUFC's academy for the mackems or Boro. I know a lass who has 2 sons and they are both on the mackems books despite being Toon fans and one of them will make it big, Rooney style, that's how good he is. His surname initial is R and his last initial E.

:lol: so Ethan Robson then.

lol

http://today.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/sherlock-holmes-basil-rathbone.jpg

The number 9 under this lot means f*** all, but under a KK or whoever, it meant a great deal and still does to would be Geordie strikers dreaming of one day representing their club. Sadly even this is under threat as Geordies turn down the chance to go to NUFC's academy for the mackems or Boro. I know a lass who has 2 sons and they are both on the mackems books despite being Toon fans and one of them will make it big, Rooney style, that's how good he is. His surname initial is R and his last initial E.

eh? how does that work?

eh? how does that work?

:lol: I just assumed he meant Robson, E.

eh? how does that work?

:lol: I just assumed he meant Robson, E.

Riviere  :scared:

What a shock, has apparently told his representatives that he doesn't wanna come here. Let's have it right, who in their right mind would?

We'll be signing no fucker this window - purely because the club is so toxic.

What a shock, has apparently told his representatives that he doesn't wanna come here. Let's have it right, who in their right mind would?

We'll be signing no fucker this window - purely because the club is so toxic.

I don't actually think it's because of the way the club is run, more its location.

More and more modern day footballers end up playing where their wives want them to...

Guest Bert Shaft

We'll be signing no f***er this window - purely because the club is so toxic.

I don't actually think it's because of the way the club is run, more its location.

More and more modern day footballers end up playing where their wives want them to...

Disagree, players will move anywhere for the money, it's the toxic smell from the boardroom that is putting people off coming to Newcastle.

I do love the bollocks the press are running with for this story.  The gist seems to be.  We're going to hold fire with our pursuit of him, whilst we find out whether or not he wants to remain in London/The South.  How fucking hard is it to find out where he wants to live and play? :lol:

FFS man.  This club and the bits of info/lies they put out to the media.  What a crock of shit. 

Outside of local lads nobody cares about the #9. If we had a good side, a side you could be proud to join - it would be significant. The Newcastle United #9 should mean something. But if Man Utd were a meaningless side not even attempting to get back to its glory days, the #7 or whatever wouldn't mean very much either.

"With the Hammers out of the race the likes of Newcastle, Southampton and Chelsea should have a clear path to make a move for the striker."

Love how they make it sound like West Ham is the biggest club in the world. :lol:

Anyway, after them we are clearly the most attractive option available to him, so I expect him to have his medical tomorrow at the latest.