Charlie Austin

HawK

Betting suspended on this c*** going to west ham.

The betting was suspended on him coming here not so long ago. I think we should probably forget about him though, it was foolish of us to think we could sign an established Premier League player.

let's be honest Austin would be mad to come here over West Ham under the regime we have. In fact any half decent player would be mad to choose us over any other PL club, other than possibly Sunderland and only because if they do come to the NE they may as well come to us over them.

Sorry state of affairs.

Guest antz1uk

What's the deal with the constant comments about getting the 9 shirt? Who honestly gives a s*** what number you have?

obviously don't have a clue about newcastle united and it's heritage

Aye, the former brick layer from down south is going to choose our shit show of a club over other because we're going to give him a shirt with a certain number on it. I assume if he joins West Ham its because they play "The West Ham Way" as well. It means nothing to anyone outside of Newcastle.

i'm not from the region or the UK for that matter but numbers in sports are fucking significant man :lol: people retire shirt numbers across the world to pay respects to the legends who wore them. fucking hell what a dumb post.

Michael Jordan/Beckham - 23

Ronaldo/Shearer - 9

Best/Ronaldo/Beckham/Cantona - 7

Pele/Maradona - 10

Gretzky - 99

Yeah shirt numbers mean nothing to people not associated with a certain team.

Austin wouldn't give any more of a shit about the #9 than Carroll did. Aye there's a sentimental value in shirt numbers to fans and certain players, but as if any player's going to base their decision on where to play based on the number on their back. :lol:

i'm not from the region or the UK for that matter but numbers in sports are fucking significant man :lol: people retire shirt numbers across the world to pay respects to the legends who wore them. fucking hell what a dumb post.

Yeah but it's a bit different for our sports isn't it? In the NFL, MLB, etc. the player makes the number rather than the other way around.

Numbers really aren't that important like, I doubt many footballers really give a s*** what number they wear as long as they get paid at the end of the month.

I think a lot of them care about it tbf. Number usually signifies worth. #1, #9, #10 are three numbers that are highly sought after by players in the correct positions.

i'm not from the region or the UK for that matter but numbers in sports are f***ing significant man :lol: people retire shirt numbers across the world to pay respects to the legends who wore them. f***ing hell what a dumb post.

Of course there is a legacy to the shirt but its historical significance means nothing to anyone outside of the club it self and yet I've read a couple of times in the press the idea that if we give him "the number 9" it would sway his decision in some way. I'm sure he'd rather an extra 5 grand a week and to play in number 34 given the choice. 

The whole idea of retiring shirts is a nonsense as well but that's another discussion all together.

i'm not from the region or the UK for that matter but numbers in sports are f***ing significant man :lol: people retire shirt numbers across the world to pay respects to the legends who wore them. f***ing hell what a dumb post.

Of course there is a legacy to the shirt but its historical significance means nothing to anyone outside of the club it self and yet I've read a couple of times in the press the idea that if we give him "the number 9" it would sway his decision in some way. I'm sure he'd rather an extra 5 grand a week and to play in number 34 given the choice. 

The whole idea of retiring shirts is a nonsense as well but that's another discussion all together.

I dunno about that. MLB has retired a single number across the league (individual teams have retired their own in addition), the #42 of Jackie Robinson. It's a way of acknowledging achievements that go above and beyond in service of the game (and far more in Roninson's case), that no one will ever be fit to wear *this* number again because of whom it implicitly represents.