Charlie Austin

HawK

I doubt we are interested anymore.  We refuse to get involved in bidding wars and will let it be known that we "stepped aside".

If they had gone for him as soon as the season ended, they would probably have got him.

i think i'd go with what someone else said tbh, being the club we are...if you were moving into the 15-20m bracket then bail on austin and blow it on the next big european prospect you can get for the same price range

That's the way I would go but it looks like when we do go abroad our budget also goes south. So where we'll offer £12m for an English player, abroad we'll be looking at spending £6m for the same position.

I think that sometimes this 1 year left on the contract thing doesn't always really apply.  I know it's supposed to apply to assets in a business and there's amortisation and stuff like that, but it's a bit different in this case, because Austin is quite an in demand player.  A lot of the time clubs say "well we'll wait and sign him on a free later" and that's part of the bargaining strategy, especially when getting closer to the six month point when players can sign for someone else for free for the next season.  That simply won't happen here though, not when you've got a player with 20 premier league goals and a lot of clubs interested.  Someone is going to buy him in this window and there's just too many interested parties for the length of his contract to be a bargaining chip.  His value is what it is and someone will pay up, because good premier league goalscorers are hard to come by.  I think the longer QPR wait and the longer teams don't manage to get other targets, the more likely it is someone else will blink first and they'll get their 15m.  Whether he's worth that because of his contract, amount of good seasons and all that other stuff is debatable, but I still think they'll get their 15m or very close to it.  A lot of people in football, rightly or wrongly seem to think he's worth that and eventually some chairman or director of Football will agree I think.  I know it won't be our chairman and director of football though. 

I'd say the chance of us actually paying 15m is close to zero and we're just going to lose out to someone with the ambition to pay the going rate, or even over the going rate to secure the player they need.  Meanwhile we'll be left holding our balance sheet champions trophy once again, languishing in the lower depths of the league.  I'd love for the new board or whatever is actually controlling this club to prove me wrong, but I really doubt they will.

Nailed it

Guest Gino14

I'd say we have Cisse, Perez and Riviere.  Only one of those is really a proven premier league striker.  One is an improving youngster and the other is practically a ghost.  Maybe De Jong can play there as well, but we're definitely lacking unless we sign someone.

Realistically we could do with a striker and centre back as top priorities.  Then it'd be nice if we had some reserve full backs and perhaps a new winger to brighten up our wing options.  Hopefully bringing someone in could mean the end for Obertan.  In reality, I'd be surprised if we even manage the vital striker and centre back additions.

Guest chopey

riviere, cisse, perez, armstrong & gouffran

That's what I was thinking, one of them will have to go before anyone comes in

riviere, cisse, perez, armstrong & gouffran

:lol:

As far as the club is concerned they are all classed as strikers or at least forwards. Wether they are good enough isnt really relevant to what was asked

Looks like this is happening, as we haven't been able to find a striker we like for less than £15 million seemingly.

Not that surprising when we paid £15m for a striker 20 years ago.

Taking a step back its sad how far we've fallen when the the potential signing of Charlie Austin excites so many.

but this is us now? what on earth do you expect? messi? suarez? we are s**** and this is our level.  :undecided:

It certainly is but I struggle to be excited about being s***. Austin might not even be our level either which compounds it further :lol:

Taking a step back its sad how far we've fallen when the the potential signing of Charlie Austin excites so many.

:thup:

Not too sure tbh, a striker who can bag goals in a poor side signed for £6m for us many years ago and became a legend by setting the record for consecutive PL games scored in and then an England striker shortly after.

:thup:

Not too sure tbh, a striker who can bag goals in a poor side signed for £6m for us many years ago and became a legend by setting the record for consecutive PL games scored in and then an England striker shortly after.

But goals aside, he had some real strengths to his game like pace, power and he was tremendous in the air.