Charlie Austin

HawK

I don't really care either way on this one (mainly because f*** NUFC), but I wouldn't completely discredit the fact Austin performed in the PL. There are plenty of big money foreign signings that don't do well over here for various reasons (or at least not in their 1st season), and I think proven-in-the-premier-league is worth paying for. Not that 1 year is the be all end all.

But as I say, my most pressing opinion on this matter is f*** NUFC.

There's also plenty of big money PL signings flops as well, it works both ways. Besides I don't actually care because we'll buy crap regardless, just I find the whole it's the buying rate so we should pay it no questions asked is a bit stupid.

I don't really give a shit mostly but it just seems like most would be happy with Austin, but personally I feel we should be doing a lot better.

Bacca for 20m who has scored 20+ 3 years running or Austin for 15m.

I know what I'd rather do, saying it's the going rate is an easy cop out. There are players across Europe who are much better and going for similar fees or just a little more.

Because it's the going rate doesn't mean you should pay it, there are other leagues around then just the premier league.

Mike Ashley nearly gets a stroke contemplating spending double figures on a player. What makes you think someone like Bacca for upwards of 20m isn't way, way out of our self imposed contraints? Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you that this is what should be done, but this club has made it abundantly clear they want more English players and they don't seem to want to spend the going rate (which is usually higher for English players). It's a recipe for disaster.

He must be worth £15m like, anyone getting him for less than that is getting a good deal in the current market.

Van Persie was probably the best player in the PL when he went to Man Utd and that was only 20m with one year left. Austin is mainly a poacher who has had one season in the PL. 15m is still a lot of money anywhere outside England and we could get a lot better player for that price from abroad

That was also years ago, prices continue to inflate, and the english player premium still exists today

It was about 3 years ago. They can't have inflated that much. We could get basically any player in La Liga outside of the top five for 15m and similar or less wages than we would have to pay Austin

Well, it's not far fetched imo to suggest transfer fees in general may have increased by 50% in that time. Nowadays 10m gets you a promising youngster or a good player from the Championship, not a number 9 who has just scored 18 in his debut season in the Premier League.

No one will spend £10m on a youngster or a Championship player unless they have got something special about them and a real chance of making it to the top. Generally only a player who shows signs of potential will tempt a club to pay that much.

Fulham paid £11m last season for Ross McCormack.  Leicester paid £8m for Ulloa.  Desperate clubs will pay the money. 

No chance we'll spend more than £12m on him so I guess the only hope we have is Leicesters offer was spread over 4 years and we are willing to pay upfront.

Or that the bid wasn't even made and it's just QPR trying to up the price.

He must be worth £15m like, anyone getting him for less than that is getting a good deal in the current market.

Van Persie was probably the best player in the PL when he went to Man Utd and that was only 20m with one year left. Austin is mainly a poacher who has had one season in the PL. 15m is still a lot of money anywhere outside England and we could get a lot better player for that price from abroad

That was also years ago, prices continue to inflate, and the english player premium still exists today

It was about 3 years ago. They can't have inflated that much. We could get basically any player in La Liga outside of the top five for 15m and similar or less wages than we would have to pay Austin

Well, it's not far fetched imo to suggest transfer fees in general may have increased by 50% in that time. Nowadays 10m gets you a promising youngster or a good player from the Championship, not a number 9 who has just scored 18 in his debut season in the Premier League.

No one will spend £10m on a youngster or a Championship player unless they have got something special about them and a real chance of making it to the top. Generally only a player who shows signs of potential will tempt a club to pay that much.

Fulham paid £11m last season for Ross McCormack.  Leicester paid £8m for Ulloa.  Desperate clubs will pay the money. 

Ulloa for £8m was about right, he's not a bad player for that price considering he wasn't in the last year of his contract. Don't know anything about McCormack, can only assume he is shite and Fulham took the bait.

Would rather take a punt on someone from abroad at a similar price than pay £15m for Austin who's got one year left on his contract. It's embarrassing.

'Proven' Premier League scorer is a stretch in my opinion. One season surely should not equate to being 'proven' at any level?

Forget the fact we have £xxm in the bank, it would be a ridiculous price to pay.

Normally I'd agree, but he does have a track record of scoring at every level. It's possible last season was an outlier and he's more like a 10-goal per season striker in the PL, but even that would represent really good value at £15mil. Just can't see him dropping off completely, the guy is a goalscorer.

Guest Roger Kint

Just seen someone use the argument 'why buy the potential next Michael Rickets for £15m when we can go for unknown quality like Perez instead for far cheaper?' Thats my fill of twitter til Monday i think :lol:

Whatever way you cut it 15-20m for Austin is a gamble purely because he's only ever had one season of top flight football. It's likely he'll not be shite but it's also just as likely he'll not get 20+ PL goals in a season the rest of his career

It seems we're just sitting there watching everyone else buy and bid for players. Literally just sitting, watching.

I think they prefer the term monitoring mate.

[/quote

Oh aye, we love a good monitor.

15m is ridiculous IMO. One year left on his contract and only 1 season in the PL. We could get a lot better players for that IMO

1 year left on his contract is irrelevant if his goals get them promoted. £15m is more than a fair price from where they're stood.

15m is ridiculous IMO. One year left on his contract and only 1 season in the PL. We could get a lot better players for that IMO

We couldn't, but yeah conceivably another side could.

QPR can wait until the last day before lowering their price.

as has been stated why would they?  he's probably a 20 goal striker down there, keep him and lose for nothing is worth more to them than selling for fuck all

Don't they need money badly though?

Guest Gino14

I think that sometimes this 1 year left on the contract thing doesn't always really apply.  I know it's supposed to apply to assets in a business and there's amortisation and stuff like that, but it's a bit different in this case, because Austin is quite an in demand player.  A lot of the time clubs say "well we'll wait and sign him on a free later" and that's part of the bargaining strategy, especially when getting closer to the six month point when players can sign for someone else for free for the next season.  That simply won't happen here though, not when you've got a player with 20 premier league goals and a lot of clubs interested.  Someone is going to buy him in this window and there's just too many interested parties for the length of his contract to be a bargaining chip.  His value is what it is and someone will pay up, because good premier league goalscorers are hard to come by.  I think the longer QPR wait and the longer teams don't manage to get other targets, the more likely it is someone else will blink first and they'll get their 15m.  Whether he's worth that because of his contract, amount of good seasons and all that other stuff is debatable, but I still think they'll get their 15m or very close to it.  A lot of people in football, rightly or wrongly seem to think he's worth that and eventually some chairman or director of Football will agree I think.  I know it won't be our chairman and director of football though. 

I'd say the chance of us actually paying 15m is close to zero and we're just going to lose out to someone with the ambition to pay the going rate, or even over the going rate to secure the player they need.  Meanwhile we'll be left holding our balance sheet champions trophy once again, languishing in the lower depths of the league.  I'd love for the new board or whatever is actually controlling this club to prove me wrong, but I really doubt they will.

QPR can wait until the last day before lowering their price.

as has been stated why would they?  he's probably a 20 goal striker down there, keep him and lose for nothing is worth more to them than selling for fuck all

Don't they need money badly though?

don't think so, unless fernandez has fucked off?  they're due a huge fine due to FFP rules afaik but selling austin won't help with that....getting back up has to be their priority surely