England: Thomas Tuchel signs 18 month contract with England from Jan 1 2025 (Official)

Nobody

Good appointment, this. He’s a successful manager and one that has played exciting football and that’s what England fans want really. Southgate deserved plenty of respect but he was neither of those. If I wasn’t a Newcastle fan I’d want Howe, but that’s a no go for me so can’t complain really. 

Time will tell ultimately, but at present I don’t buy concerns about how the British public will react to him because he’s German, or if he doesn’t sing the national anthem or wear a poppy. I’m pretty sure only a very small percentage will give a shit and ultimately you have to accept there is a toxic element to fanbases, country and club. We shouldn’t let a small minority of wrong’uns cloud our judgment of the England fanbase in general. 

Edited by St. Maximin

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

That’s not satire? Someone actually wrote that sincerely?

It’s from Jeff Powell who said Carsley should be sacked (before he managed his first game) for saying he wouldn’t sing the national anthem. 

Surprisingly ambitious appointment. Cant see us doing much in the heat 2026 mind and if his contract is only 18months we’ll be back to square one for the 2028 Euros on home soil.

Very strange appointment tbh. He hasn't done well at club level recently, but he is the inspirational type so I guess it could work at international level. It's exciting anyway, think it might be short but sweet, but it might just work.

31 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Surprisingly ambitious appointment. Cant see us doing much in the heat 2026 mind and if his contract is only 18months we’ll be back to square one for the 2028 Euros on home soil.

Guess they don’t want to get tied in. 

It’s a weird appointment for me, but on the other hand a change in strategy is maybe warranted now Gareth has done his inoffensive brand rebuild job. Maybe now they want to be more ruthless and look for a big trophy win. 

Not that Tuchel seems particularly likely to win a trophy, but I can see why they might want to change the approach. 

Saying that, it would’ve been interesting if Carsley had done well since that’s the polar opposite approach.

We’ll see I suppose. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Guess they don’t want to get tied in. 

It’s a weird appointment for me, but on the other hand a change in strategy is maybe warranted now Gareth has done his inoffensive brand rebuild job. Maybe now they want to be more ruthless and look for a big trophy win. 

Not that Tuchel seems particularly likely to win a trophy, but I can see why they might want to change the approach. 

Saying that, it would’ve been interesting if Carsley had done well since that’s the polar opposite approach.

We’ll see I suppose. 

Should have been brave and stuck with Carsley and give him some media training. Makes a mockery of the St George’s Park setup. Worked fine for Spain.

1 minute ago, B-more Mag said:

‘Little Englander’ I hear the merchants of woke cry.  

:lol::lol:

Agree with Jeff (Geoff, surely?). Insane to hire a continental when lads like Chris Wilder and Scott Parker are available.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Should have been brave and stuck with Carsley and give him some media training. Makes a mockery of the St George’s Park setup. Worked fine for Spain.

Yeah, tend to agree, I was sure he would get it until the Greece game. 

Maybe they never planned to go with him, or maybe they changed course, dunno. 

I would’ve appointed him straight after Southgate left TBH, no interim status needed. The fact they did that suggests one or both sides were unsure. Maybe he never wanted the job.