England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

12 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Did the ref forget to put on stoppage time? I've not seen that before.

He's not entitled to finish the game early to save a team from further punishment.

Happens loads on the continent, German refs in particular will gladly fuck the rest of the game off if one team has a 3 goal lead.

43 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Waiting for the claims it’s an achievement getting out the group 

to be fair currently topping a group with Ukraine and Italy. Ignore the other sides and it’s a tough group.

i still hate southgate.

just cant get away with him.

...oh but he got us to a semi and final.

people go on like he's taken a load of part time players, bank managers and plumbers and moulded them into a force to be reckoned with.

9 hours ago, James said:

to be fair currently topping a group with Ukraine and Italy. Ignore the other sides and it’s a tough group.

? sorry but that is not an achievement. It’s not a tough group.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

? sorry but that is not an achievement. It’s not a tough group.

In qualification terms it's a tough group like, not that England shouldn't just breeze though it.

Just watched the highlights this morning, we should be beating North Macedona 7-0 so nothing to get excited about but Saka's second was pretty special. 

On Southgate I can see both sides, but I am not sure on the alternatives. Potter is going to stay linked I think despite his reputation being a bit tarnished, but I think he would need a lot of time with the players you don't get in international duty, and then I don't particularly like his style of play either, it's just as dull. 

Can Southgate win something by just being a lovely man? He is way too over fond of Maguire which is baffling somewhat. He has certainly got the team all in great spirit and togetherness and there is value in that. I just wonder if he needs to be there for the vibes and hire someone to do all the tactics for him. 

I like Southgate, apparently stick me in a suit and I have a passing resemblance to him. So if England win something under him there is a potentially lucrative side hustle as a look-alike of him.

He's a good coach/manager but not a great one. Eddie Howe actually highlights quite well his shortcomings. Howe has all those good communication, man management skills Southgate excels at but combines them with a (respectful) ruthless streak Southgate lacks. As well as the ability to have a clear footballing philosophy that he is able to adapt to the opposition and the situation more than Southgate.

That's is why Howe is showing signs of being a great manager while I suspect Southgate will only ever be good.

International management isn’t for ‘great’ managers anyway. 

His biggest achievement has been the complete detoxification of the England team and the overall brand. Obvs in conjunction with everything going on behind the scenes. It’s hard to remember just how bad the situation was before.  

Would love to see him win a trophy but obviously that is incredibly hard to do even if you get everything right. 

He makes a lot of decisions I don’t like but at least he has a plan. 

North Macedonia knocked Italy out of the WC playoffs and beat Germany away in the qualifiers for the last World Cup, so it's not like they're just complete mugs. 7-0 is an impressive result and it was a very good performance, nothing to get too excited about though for sure, we have a great record in qualifiers in recent times, and a very poor record against top 10 ranked sides, we need to address the latter if we're going to win a major tournament. 

Only caught up on the highlights this morning but that Saka goal was exquisite. Absolutely love a thunderbastard that is still accelerating as it hits the net. Incredible technique to pull that off; what a player that lad is. 

Interesting that there could be legs in the TAA as a midfielder shout after all...

Can't stand Southgate personally, having started off thinking, 'meh, he's alright'.

Shit manager and an FA bootlicker. Benefitted from having some excellent forwards and attacking midfielders.

Edited by toon25

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Kalvin Phillips continuing to steal caps other have earned 

It's fucking absurd he keeps getting in the squad, sends such a shit message. This is worse than Maguire getting in for sure, least Maguire actually sometimes plays, even though he clearly shouldn't be in the squad either. 

2 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

It's fucking absurd he keeps getting in the squad, sends such a shit message. This is worse than Maguire getting in for sure, least Maguire actually sometimes plays, even though he clearly shouldn't be in the squad either. 

Kalvin Phillips last competitive minutes were in the nations league ffs :lol: