England

Yorkie

Stones won't get many more caps

Hopefully nor will Delph. The guy is an absolute fucking tool and thick as mince. Totally carried by the team around him at club level and absolutely nowhere near being an international footballer.

You can't pick a bunch of reserve premier league players who are not good enough to start for their clubs and expect to win at the highest level. Delph, Stones, Lingard, Barclay, Walker (soon will be), even Henderson is not starting when Liverpool are at full strength. Southgate is seriously overrated.

In midfield and attack, the team was very much a new unit. We had some decent spells, but overall the Dutch were much better at retaining possession under pressure and working the ball through to the attack - which is of course our usual problem.

Surely Will Hughes is as good as anything in that three last night?

He's worth a look, because he may be one of those players whose best comes out at international level.

His career has been held back, I assume because of doubts over his physicality.

Only one way to find out.

Personally think we would have lined up stronger and more competitive but for the proximity of the Champions League Final. Southgate just didn’t have time to work with his best players.

Personally think we would have lined up stronger and more competitive but for the proximity of the Champions League Final. Southgate just didn’t have time to work with his best players.

Maybe, but during an international tournament games come every few days as well. Van Dijk and Wijnaldum managed 120 minutes without issue. I think it was the wrong decision in hindsight to exclude those players who contested the CL final unless they were carrying knocks or requested to be rested themselves.

Delph - Barkley - Rice is an absolutely pathetic starting midfield three like. Really don't see any of the hype about Rice, seems totally overrated to me.

Rice isn't quite the best midfielder in the world, like West Ham fans would have you believe.  But I don't think he is overrated by anyone but them.  I think he looks decent at what he does.  Which is turn the ball over, break up play and keep the ball moving. 

As for the midfield three in general, I do agree.  All you hear about is how the game is won and lost in the boxes.  That may be true to some extent, but we could have a prime Shearer and Lineker up top and the 2002 back 4 and we'd still win sod all with our midfield. 

I don't pay enough attention to the national set up.  But we seem really weak with a load of 'much of a muchness' options in the middle.

That VAR decision has really pissed me off on reflection. Regardless of what concerns you might have about its application (refs being weirdos/consistency/disruption of the spectacle) - there's no frigging way Lingard gained an advantage there. It was a completely unnecessary decision. That was a goal good enough to win any game. And I'm talking here as a neutral here tbh, I wasn't arsed about the result at all last night.

That VAR decision has really pissed me off on reflection. Regardless of what concerns you might have about its application (refs being weirdos/consistency/disruption of the spectacle) - there's no frigging way Lingard gained an advantage there. It was a completely unnecessary decision. That was a goal good enough to win any game. And I'm talking here as a neutral here tbh, I wasn't arsed about the result at all last night.

wasn't he like literally a hair offside though?

You can’t let offside goals count just because the goal looked pretty.

I’d rather not win via offside goals I’ve seen enough games decided by robbery.

Hoping we see a big reduction of games decided by robbery in the Premier League with VAR :thup:

Delph - Barkley - Rice is an absolutely pathetic starting midfield three like. Really don't see any of the hype about Rice, seems totally overrated to me.

Aye it’s awful, no idea what he sees in Delph.

Longstaff has a chance IMO, even Shelvey if he could get some club games. Not sure who else is coming up, guess Loftus Cheek if he was available.

:dowiespin: