England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

I go the opposite way, KI.  I think City are just up there on their own, then come the usual SKY 4-6 teams.  After that, I really think the league is horrendous.  Despite all of the money and big name players that will sign for smaller clubs because of it.  I have found a lot of games I've watched this season to be horrendous.  Just awful football, really negative and too much percentage football. 

I don't watch enough of other leagues to compare fairly.  But I have always found the prem is the best league in the world argument a bit absurd.  Ot always seems to be a bit of a throwaway comment, often by fans who probably don't even watch the other major leagues.  When I do catch Bundesliga and La Liga games, I am always surprised by the style and the ability on shown.  Especially when there are so many lesser known players.  I think some of it is to do with familiarity with teams and players, too. 

I think with the money in our game, the standard of football should be a lot better and the games more exciting.  We've been involved in 4 games already that must have been absolutely brutal for the neutral. 

Guest firetotheworks

Having a top 6 is proof enough imo, most league's have 2 or 3 really great teams. The level Man City are playing at doesn't mean the rest aren't great to watch either, it's just that they're that good. I still really enjoy watching Spurs, Liverpool and at times Man United, Chelsea, and Arsenal. Below them the entertainment is lacking, probably, but I think the quality's there. Percentage or defensive football isn't that great to watch, but at least we're able to see teams making it work, rather than teams that don't. Fwiw, I think that us, West Brom, Southampton and West Ham in particular play pretty unentertaining football, but it serves a purpose in our case. Catch Watford, Leicester, Huddersfield, Christ even Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, and Stoke on the right day and you'll see some decent football.

I probably watch just as much overseas footy as over here. Wich isn't much granted, but it's undeniable to me anyway, that the PL is the most exciting. The best? Highly debatable, but as contests goes, it pisses all over the other leagues IMO.

I don't get what people mean by this - "as contests?"

It's diabolical as a contest the PL. So many teams are happy to keep it tight for 90 minutes. So many teams s*** scared to play football. Beyond the top teams - Watford play a bit of decent football. Bournemouth and Swansea try but don't look like scoring. Southampton? Utterly boring. WBA - boring. NUFC - boring. Brigthon - boring. Stoke - boring. Burnley - boring.

It's more about how any one team can beat any team, again as a contest it's quite exciting or fairly open. Take Burnley beating the Champions in their own back yard or bottom side Palace beating them, without a goal or a point prior. Would that happen in La Liga, Italy or in Germany? The quality of player is slightly higher abroad and maybe even the actual football, but nowhere is a game more evenly contested than in the PL, and that's what makes it so special and enjoying. Not to this old cynic, but to a global audience. There is no denying this, hence the huge viewing figures and interest in our game. There is an intensity to the PL that has no rival either. That's down to the rivalry in our game and the physical element. Like it or not, the PL is for more exciting as a contest between two sides than any other league and I'm it's biggest critic, or one of them. The quality is often poor to average and rarely special these days, but when it clicks it's special. Extra special and thing abroad can match that outside of El Classico.

Girona beat Real Madrid a few weeks ago, Betis beat Real Madrid a few weeks before that

As did Spurs. Real Madrid clearly aren't at their best at the moment, I think HTT's point still stands because it's a regular occurrence in the PL. Personally I think the overall quality in the league this season is much higher than it has been - mainly due to the promoted teams being a lot stronger than the teams that came up last season, as well as Sunderland finally no longer stinking out the league.

Aye, Roma beat Chelsea 3-0 as well but HTT didn't bring that up [emoji38]

Having a top 6 is proof enough imo, most league's have 2 or 3 really great teams. The level Man City are playing at doesn't mean the rest aren't great to watch either, it's just that they're that good. I still really enjoy watching Spurs, Liverpool and at times Man United, Chelsea, and Arsenal. Below them the entertainment is lacking, probably, but I think the quality's there. Percentage or defensive football isn't that great to watch, but at least we're able to see teams making it work, rather than teams that don't. Fwiw, I think that us, West Brom, Southampton and West Ham in particular play pretty unentertaining football, but it serves a purpose in our case. Catch Watford, Leicester, Huddersfield, Christ even Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, and Stoke on the right day and you'll see some decent football.

Serie A has five teams really challenging for the title this season

Guest Howaythetoon

Hey I'm not saying its the best, but its the most exciting and overall the best packaged. Its nowhere near as exciting as it used to be in the early 90s and 00s of course, but its still an entertaining league and very well contested. I think on that score its getting better. The cliche no easy game isn't a cliche anymore in the EPL. Man City are obviously a level ahead at the moment, but you see how hard they have to work and fight for a win and the opposition can still hurt them and claim a surprise win or draw. I don't watch too much footy these days, be it our own league or other leagues, but whenever I do watch a match played in England or on the continent, the English match is usually more exciting or more evenly contested. Spain has the better ratio of quality players and the style is much better to watch and Serie A has had a bit of a renaissance in terms of quality football. I personally find the French and German leagues bland and monotonous. Each to their own though...

Guest firetotheworks

Serie A has five teams really challenging for the title this season

It's not a competition. :lol: At least not to me. Those are both good things.

Guest Howaythetoon

What do you mean by best packaged HTT? I'd consider it to be overhyped and sanitised.

I agree, but it’s sold well as a package globally and that contributes to its huge popularity and appeal. Me and you know it’s overhyped and sanitised, but go abroad and the numpties lap it all up. I’d rate the PL 7 out of 10 as a competition. I actually find the Championship enjoyable, the football is crap, but there are usually goals, mad refereeing decisions and lots of incidents in the games. What our game lacks is characters and personalities, on the pitch and in the dug out.

I'd be intrigued to know what would happen if at the end of the season each team from the PL, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga played the team that finished in the same position as them in the other leagues (not sure what you'd do with the Bundesliga).  Make it the 39th game (and 40th and 41st...).