England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As much as I like Welbeck. Welbeck :lol:

What's the point in this squad, to let people know they shouldn't tackle in the next fortnight? Stop them booked all-inclusive holidays for the end of the month?

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

All this talk of Wilson or Toney, surely you take both? Wouldn't Kane, Toney, Wilson be the 3 most in form strikers? I question why Rashfords space doesn't seem under threat from media despite his lack of form for a long time now. with Sterling, Foden, Maddison, Mount, Saka (if latter fit I guess), surely Grealish and Sancho should be out the question and yet they seem auto picks from some of the media speculation

Edited by Tiresias

Feel like it would have been talked about if Burn was on there. If he does sneak into the provisional he is surely not in consideration for the 26. 

Wellbeck though... really? lol  He hasn't even scored this season in 11 appearances! Surely someone in the U21's like Balogun who has 7 in 13 in Ligue 1 would be on their before fucking Wellbeck. 

It's FIFA rules that you have to submit a provisional squad of upto 55. Some countries named a far smaller provisional squad but makes sense to use the full allowance in case of loads of injuries. The FA don't need to publicise who is on the list, apparently. 

Edited by Interpolic

21 hours ago, Tiresias said:

All this talk of Wilson or Toney, surely you take both? Wouldn't Kane, Toney, Wilson be the 3 most in form strikers? I question why Rashfords space doesn't seem under threat from media despite his lack of form for a long time now. with Sterling, Foden, Maddison, Mount, Saka (if latter fit I guess), surely Grealish and Sancho should be out the question and yet they seem auto picks from some of the media speculation

Because Southgate is fucking awful and can't see past his favourites. 

Rashford has been dogshit for ages, as have Sterling and Grealish, yet they will get the nod.

England's style really doesn't suit Kane and Toney is a pound shop Peter Crouch, so you'd think Wilson would be a great option - but Southgate...

That'll be the same Sterling who was absolutely instrumental in the Euros and England's match-winner on two separate occasions, I assume. 

Crouch was a 1 in 2 striker for England too, so a pound-shop version sounds areet tbh.

The timing of the tournament is pretty bad from an England POV I reckon. 

A lot of the regulars in poor form and it's too late to totally change things up at this point. 

Could argue that the fringe players should have been integrated better and giving a chance in the nation's league games earlier on. 

Southgate has generally got it pretty spot on with his selections in previous tournaments though. It's quite funny how everyone was demanding Grealish and Sancho must start every game last euros and Southgate stuck to his guns now people are complaining they'll make the squad as they are his favourites. 

Sterling's been absolutely excellent for England and has been far from dogshit for club (albeit out of position currently with Potter). Absolute nonsense to suggest he shouldn't be near the squad. Toney is a much better forward now than you suggest too. 

Rashford has been poor, but also Man U are a clownshow. I remember when we were linked and reckon Howe could very well get him back to being the 20 goal a season player he has been before. I would however criticise say Wilson losing out on a place to him on current form. 

If Grealish was still at Aston Villa and the team built around him I am sure he would be legitimately be pushing the squad but he's peripheral at the moment, and it's not just cos he's at Man City, Foden is absolutely clearly lightyears ahead.