Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

We're still struggling to find the best role for this player. His best work is down the centre, but it looked at the start that he was still expected to help out the full back defensively.

I'd like to see us play a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, but as others have said we need a good midfield anchor man to make that work, and at the moment we don't have that. I'd like to see -

Wiljnaldum Newbie Colback

Sissoko Perez

Mitrovic.

He just scored 4 goals and had a blinder, as did Sissoko on the opposite side. It would be madness to think of not playing them in the same place.

To me the way it looked on Sunday was he was in his favored role when we attacked which was freedom to drift into space. It looked to me that He's basically "wide" left but playing in his instinctive 10 role when ball is on opposite wing. Him playing left side seems merely a defensive postion or his starting blocks on the counter.

To me the way it looked on Sunday was he was in his favored role when we attacked which was freedom to drift into space. It looked to me that He's basically "wide" left but playing in his instinctive 10 role when ball is on opposite wing. Him playing left side seems merely a defensive postion or his starting blocks on the counter.

It's not a problem for him or Sissoko, as long as they understand what to do when we lose the ball. Might just be a question of a bit more coaching. Fullbacks need to stay back more as well, IMO.

This.

Wijnaldum is a well rounded footballer and can contribute in several ways. As long as he's intelligent and disciplined in his decision making depending on the situation, he can start in any position in the front 6 tbh.

I was saying to my Dad at the start of the game.  "We've gone with 4 in midfield, with 2 centre mids as wingers and we have a striker up top that thrives on crosses into the box and service from out wide.  Not going to work."

Yeah, I was a bit wide of the mark. :lol:

:thup:

I was saying to my Dad at the start of the game.  "We've gone with 4 in midfield, with 2 centre mids as wingers and we have a striker up top that thrives on crosses into the box and service from out wide.  Not going to work."

Yeah, I was a bit wide of the mark. :lol:

It actually requires quite a lot of intelligent football to make it work. I'm not convinced about those positions for Sissoko and Wijnaldum TBH, but hope they continue to prove me wrong.

Norwich gave him the complete freedom of the middle of the pitch for most of the 2nd half. He won't get very often.

Unlike in recent times.  We actually have other players that can take advantage should he start to get closer attention.  Perez, Sissoko and Wijnaldum are all class with time and space to run into.  Teams won't usually be able to limit all 3.

Norwich gave him the complete freedom of the middle of the pitch for most of the 2nd half. He won't get very often.

I don't think a perfectly-timed run from midfield is all that easy to stop TBH. Although you're right most defences are better than Norwich.

The fluidity of his movement and intelligent balls (fnaar...)were a joy to watch. Given the line-up it was vital that he Sissoko or  Perez were at that their creative best. They all were, for me. It's surely not beyond SMc's tactical nous to retain fluidity  and interchange between their positioning. With  such good footballers in the side don't think we need to focus on the more predictable two proper wide men to create chances. Though would  like to think Thauvin can cover/ join the party at some point and de Jong.

Think making the runs inwards from the left is even more difficult to pickup than if he was just coming in from behind the striker. It's a huge plus for us.

I thought this was a big strength in the last game, him coming in from those positions and Sissoko a bit narrower put them both in positions that causes doubt between fullback and centreback as to who picks up the run whereas if they're both wider or central it's easier for the defence.

We need to stick with their positioning like that for a while imo.

He was so good, all those meet-and-greets around their lot. Dribbles the ball out of defence and never looks like losing it. A very classy player who deserved better today.

What impressed me more than anything was how hard he is to dispossess. Absolute opposite of Thauvin and so vital in British football.