Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Loved how composed he was when he scored the first goal. Many players would have pulled the trigger very quickly, but instead he held his foot back for that extra tenth of a second which made the keeper react and go down a bit too early to be able get his leg out and save it and instead Gini calmly and confidently put a low ball in the back of the net.

Can't wait to see him at centre back in Garth's team of the week

You're laughing but there's actually people on this very messageboard who wanted him played as a more defensive midfielder (they'll know who they are) when we signed him.

:lol: I don't think they were.  I can't even remember saying it myself but people were clearly wanting us not to play 2 defensive midfielders, which was fair.

Can't wait to see him at centre back in Garth's team of the week

You're laughing but there's actually people on this very messageboard who wanted him played as a more defensive midfielder (they'll know who they are) when we signed him.

:lol: I don't think they were.  I can't even remember saying it myself but people were clearly wanting us not to play 2 defensive midfielders, which was fair.

Mole toon or whatever he's called was. I argued with him for ages about it.

Those runs he makes into the box are a thing of beauty.  Nolan was the last midfielder we had to do it consistently.  But he wouldn't be able to leap like Gini or run that fast.  Didn't contribute on the ball like Wijnaldum does, either.  Going back further, he reminds me of Lee and Speed.  Timing his runs to perfection and always looking like a goal threat. 

This is obviously why so many on here voted him as our best player on that poll.  4 goals from a midfielder, man!  Crazy. 

He's a bonafide star and his work ethic, attitude and mentality are spot on. Every time he holds off people, his bursting runs forward, his timing in the box and instincts around it - no wonder he wants to play #10 and no wonder he really is playing as a wide AM drifting in when the ball is on the other side of the pitch, his movement and leap are fantastic.

Love his celebrations too, that 3rd and 4th man, wow.

Transitioning to another league is a funny thing like. Based on how they did in the Eredivisie you wouldn't necessarily say Wijnaldum was a better player than the De Jong brothers. His phyiscal attributes make him more suitable for the league perhaps, but they are all about the same level really. Here's hoping Gini keeps it up and Siem finds his feet as well.

Still believe Siem will come good.

I honestly think the dynamic of Mitro's hold up and Perez ability in tight spaces is massive.

Anyone else in the team around those two and the attributes they provide, is going to have a lot more chance to do their thing in good forward areas.

Just a matter of how best to fit others around those two now.

Guest Geordiesned

Sorry if already mentioned but noticed this on .com:

Gini Wijnaldum has scored four times in a game previously, for Feyenoord in a 5-1 home win over Groningen in February 2011. As was the case today, they all came from open play (23,31,48 & 83mins).

Either Wijnaldum's memory is fading or .com have got it wrong as the player himself said in his post-match interview on Sky that two of the four for Feyenoord against Groningen were penalties.

EDIT: His memory is fine - quick Google search shows 2 of the Feyenoord 4 were pens.

Sorry if already mentioned but noticed this on .com:

Gini Wijnaldum has scored four times in a game previously, for Feyenoord in a 5-1 home win over Groningen in February 2011. As was the case today, they all came from open play (23,31,48 & 83mins).

Either Wijnaldum's memory is fading or .com have got it wrong as the player himself said in his post-match interview on Sky that two of the four for Feyenoord against Groningen were penalties.

EDIT: His memory is fine - quick Google search shows 2 of the Feyenoord 4 were pens.

Why would they make a point of mentioning they all came from open play without researching it.