Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

Looked sharp, gave a mature performance.  Was thinking though where the feck was he for Atsu's cross?  Absolutely on a plate for someone

Looked sharp, gave a mature performance.  Was thinking though where the feck was he for Atsu's cross?  Absolutely on a plate for someone

With Gayle that was a goal without doubt.

It's a weird one, because we clearly were much better when he came on even though he didn't do much. There's times when we're attacking and he's just not interested in getting into the box in the same fashion that Gayle is. Atsu's cross at the end was a prime example, he was nowhere. There was also the time when Diame had the ball and was running through the middle, Mitro's movement was horrendous, he actually ran inbetween 2 Villa players and crowded himself out of anything.

That's always been one of my major criticisms of him, he just doesn't get on the end of stuff like the natural strikers do. He's fine for hold up play and generally being a nuisance though.

Considering his character, it's surprising how unselfish he is around the box. He really needs to think about himself more and how HE can get a goal.

Instead of dropping deep and supporting team mates, he needs to get in the box and see situations arising quicker. His contribution otherwise is OK, but ultimately he will be judged on goals.

Considering his character, it's surprising how unselfish he is around the box. He really needs to think about himself more and how HE can get a goal.

Instead of dropping deep and supporting team mates, he needs to get in the box and see situations arising quicker. His contribution otherwise is OK, but ultimately he will be judged on goals.

When you aren't playing well or a striker out of goal scoring form you concentrate on sacrificing yourself for the team. He becomes an intergral part in build up play and goals go in around him. All he needs is a couple of games with back to back goals and he'll be away. I can certainly see what he's trying to achieve.

When you aren't playing well or a striker out of goal scoring form you concentrate on sacrificing yourself for the team. He becomes an intergral part in build up play and goals go in around him. All he needs is a couple of games with back to back goals and he'll be away. I can certainly see what he's trying to achieve.

:lol:

You either have that instinct or you don't. Even last season I noticed he was quite often back on his heels when the crosses were coming in. But he can still be useful for us for the games coming up, when he's on he does make things happen. Even if he doesn't score the goals himself he can give defenders a tough time so other players around him might get more chances.

You either have that instinct or you don't. Even last season I noticed he was quite often back on his heels when the crosses were coming in. But he can still be useful for us for the games coming up, when he's on he does make things happen. Even if he doesn't score the goals himself he can give defenders a tough time so other players around him might get more chances.

He spends more time on his heels in front of a cross than Caitlin Jenner.

Spot on.

Spot on.

Wishful thinking all that, imo. He's never displayed anything like a goalscoring instinct.

Spot on.

Wishful thinking all that, imo. He's never displayed anything like a goalscoring instinct.

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole.

He hasn't though, not an instinct in the sense that he's got the movement, awareness or technique to become anything like prolific - certainly this season anyway. He's bundled in a few goals over the last couple of years but has proven to be nothing other than a bog-standard forward. I don't think he gives any defender that hard of a time.

He hasn't though, not an instinct in the sense that he's got the movement, awareness or technique to become anything like prolific - certainly this season anyway. He's bundled in a few goals over the last couple of years but has proven to be nothing other than a bog-standard forward. I don't think he gives any defender that hard of a time.

:thup:

I find it really hard to debate Mitrovic - I feel there are counter-arguments on both sides to almost everything he does. 

For example, everyone has seen him miss some pretty easy chances and it's undeniable that his finishing needs to improve, but I'd counter that with three points:

1) if you look at his goals last season (and let's not forget 9 in 34 games (and not all exactly full appearances) in your first season in the PL as a 21 year old isn't exactly bad etc etc), some of them were taken really well.  Even the penalties were taken well, but the headers vs Man City, Sunderland, Norwich and shot vs Norwich stand out.  In addition, his goals per minute for last season was one goal every 235 minutes.  This compares pretty favourably with pretty decent players - Costa was 198, Deeney 253, Pelle 197, Rondon 285.

2) I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding among fans (and I include myself in that) about how likely a striker is to score a goal.  I linked to this article earlier - http://statsbomb.com/2016/10/xcommentary/ - when talking about the Norwich game which discusses how 'easy' chances really are.  When I heard people talking about that first chance he missed vs Norwich, I thought he'd missed from a yard out - the actual chance wasn't an easy chance by any stretch of the imagination, yet people seem to expect strikers to score that 9 times out 10.  As it was, Mitrovic hit it well and Ruddy made a very good save.

3)  If he doesn't have a striker's instinct, how come he keeps getting in position to apparently miss a bucket load of easy chances?

I don't know basically - he's definitely not as good as I had hoped he would be, but I genuinely think there is something there.

Just seen he scored 28 goals in his last season for Anderlecht before coming here. That stuns me, it must be an absolutely shite league where he gets shitloads of chances, shitloads of space and two really decent wingers. He just misses fucking loads these days, it doesn't make sense him hitting those stats.

A striker with 'instinct' scores that goal on the turn against Derby, for instance. It's a little bit of a wild hack for anyone who isn't really top level, sure, but it's still an excellent chance for any striker worth his salt. It's a free shot at goal not that far out - hit the target and you score. If Gayle is in that position, it's probably 2-0 and we don't have to cling on.

That's where Mitro is utterly non-dependable. You just can't rely on him for a goal.

You must know goals in Belgium don't count...

Not for us they don't!

I don't dislike Mitrovic, fwiw. I like his passion, he's useful when he decides he's capable of using his strength and holding the ball up, and he has got the odd important goal here and there. I don't think he's definitely not gonna be of use whenever I see him on the teamsheet. I just don't think he's capable of ever going on a run of goalscoring form.

You must know goals in Belgium don't count...

Not for us they don't!

I don't dislike Mitrovic, fwiw. I like his passion, he's useful when he decides he's capable of using his strength and holding the ball up, and he has got the odd important goal here and there. I don't think he's definitely not gonna be of use whenever I see him on the teamsheet. I just don't think he's capable of ever going on a run of goalscoring form.

Pretty much this. I like him and think he'll do well in the Premiership for a team who doesn't need a guarenteed 15 goals a season striker. As Benitez only plays one up top that's obviously not us.

We've actually done well without Gayle, but had he been fit he'd have undoubtadly added another half dozen goals or so in the last 5 games.