Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

If he's on his way out that was about as good a final performance as he could've given. He absolutely clattered someone in the second half and it was glorious to see. 

I’m pretty sure he’ll be kept on, unless he really asks for a move. Probably keep mainly the same defence and add one mega CB to the first team.

Can’t always account for our ambition now though, we could well sign two people. 

Was fantastic when he came on yesterday and Arsenal players looked almost scared to go near him, i don't think he should be one of those leaving as he will be a good back up option and is a good presence in the dressing room. he deserves another season under Howe.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

If you were him and you new you weren't going to play many games though, you'd surely want to leave?

Nah. I think every player who was here in the Ashley era would want to stay if Howe said they were in his plans and would get a squad place. 

Lascelles would likely remain club captain.  He’s already been here a long time. I imagine he’ll want to fight for his place. 

I can just imagine the quality that’s being added to the gym, training ground etc. even as short term moves. We are on the up and players want to be a part of it. 

I think that’s a large part of the upswing in form from the likes of Shelvey, Krafth, Almiron etc. they want to be a part of this next phase and the feel good feeling. Krafth has likely secured his squad position ahead of Manquillo with his recent performances.  

11 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I think he has a very important role in the dressing room.

Seems so, he'll be kept for almost this reason alone.

Edited by Nine

11 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I think he has a very important role in the dressing room.

Also think he is more than capable squad player, and used to rotate for cup runs etc

Disagree about him being a squad player, he’s not good enough at all.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

What ? 

We cant go buy 4 new CBs.

I am optimistic that we will go from Ciaran Clark as our starting CB, to Lascelles being 4th choice.

I think he is a very strong character in the dressing room. He may be limited, but he cared when nobody else did.

Under Howe, I think he can improve too

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-united-inside-transformation-eddie-howe-12-hours-days-signings-gameplan-1634831

Hands down the best one I’ve witnessed here,” Lascelles, a veteran of eight years at St James’ Park, tells i of Monday’s ferocious atmosphere.

“Opposition players have said in the past, and even before this game, that they’re not looking forward to it. It ain’t because they’re playing against us players, it’s because they’ve got to face these fans and the atmosphere.

“I know as a player sometimes when you go to hostile environments it can change the game a little bit. That’s the feeling the Arsenal had today. From the first whistle you could see we were up for it and they weren’t because of that backing.”

His work in turning Newcastle around has been seriously impressive: a recovery hewn from intense, 12-hour working days that have shifted the culture. Training sessions are longer and more demanding, tactical insight more effectively communicated throughout the day. Players like Jonjo Shelvey have lost weight while others, such as Joelinton, have improved tactically and technically.

“They’re getting proper coaching,” one football insider said. A total culture change, Lascelles says.

He wanted Newcastle to be a pressing team and has changed the pace and mentality of training. Players are told to train the way they play.

More than that, Howe has fostered a sense of unity within the squad. At team bonding sessions players are encouraged to share details from their personal lives to give an insight into what drives them. A group team photo in front of the packed out Gallowgate End on Monday night incorporated partners, children and close friends of the first team in a firm message that they are “all in it together”.

He even praised the local media on Monday night for “sticking with” his team.

“It is completely down to the manager,” Lascelles says of the team’s transition from counter-attacking, defensive unit to one that favours an aggressive high press.

“The drills he puts on in training, it’s all competitive about winning. Nothing’s about being on the back foot and being negative. It’s about attacking, being on the front foot. When you’re doing that every day, repetitively, and the game plan is to get after these teams it becomes your DNA.

“You could see it against Arsenal, we were in their faces, they were making mistakes. The back four is up at the halfway line, we’re in their half whereas before the back four is on the 18-yard box and we’re camped in. To get from there to there is down to the manager and the staff.”

“It’s building blocks, it’s step by step but with this manager and this group of players and whatever happens in the summer, along with the owners and fans, you’re ticking a lot of boxes. Put it all together and it’s a good force.”

Namechecks DCL 'prime target' and Nunez as summer wishes

• 1 month later...
On 03/02/2022 at 14:53, Consortium of one said:

I like looking at the new analytics but I also believe in the eye test.  In a two man pairing our CBs fail.  I think we could all agree each will function better in a 3 man.  Can't say for sure about Burn.  He looks real good in some of the metrics but I haven't seen him enough.

Why do they fail in a two man pairing? Genuinely curious. You might want to check out the defensive performance/overall results, relative to the rest of the Premier League, for the most recent 19 games before answering. 

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Imagine your life being that boring that you get your kicks from things like that :lol: 

Totally agree. It’s absolute desperation to be relevant.