Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

39 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Not sure I agree with that, Trippier was over there wagging his finger at the ref just like everyone else was. It got all the players riled up and the ref lost his head the moment he pulled that yellow card from his pocket for Havertz. 

Yeah fair enough, good point. At the time I just remember thinking JL could have imposed himself a little more. But yes, it would have been difficult for anyone to fully control the situation after such a horrific tackle.

Edited by looneytoon

I'd have given him MOTM too, and I was quite surprised when he and Gordon were interviewed at the end, and he didn't get it.

Yet again, brilliant man management from Eddie. It can't be easy to demote your captain to the bench, but both parties handled it well, and when Eddie needed Jamal, he stepped up to the plate.

By way of contrast, Ten Haag made Maguire feel that he was no longer wanted. Now that he needs him, you can see the consequences.

42 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I'd have given him MOTM too, and I was quite surprised when he and Gordon were interviewed at the end, and he didn't get it.

Yet again, brilliant man management from Eddie. It can't be easy to demote your captain to the bench, but both parties handled it well, and when Eddie needed Jamal, he stepped up to the plate.

By way of contrast, Ten Haag made Maguire feel that he was no longer wanted. Now that he needs him, you can see the consequences.

Great point. Trust builds relationships and gets the best performance out of people. Well done Jamaal and hats off to Eddie and the leadership team. 

It is just so gratifying that so many players have come through the hell of the Bruce era to make important contributions, (with Howe's help, obviously)

Schar, Willock, Joelinton, Wilson, Almiron, Longstaff in particular, 

but important contributions from Lascelles, Dubravka, Kraft, Ritchie and Dummett.

(That's a whole team there!)

5 hours ago, Cronky said:

Top managers have a way of dealing with it, Pep Guardiola has an abundance of top defenders,  one minute John Stones can't get a game the next he's unplayable. They've all had to learn to stay hungry, one minute you're a cert, then you get a knock and the next guy steps up. Those players want to prove themselves and play for the manager, those that don't, he's been honest and said he won't stand in their way if they can't adapt to the demands. 

Man mountain last night. Get him signed up and get another high quality CB in and we have a very very nice set o CB’s.  Fullbacks too. At least very soon. 

Edited by Ikon

Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles on handshake snub from Arsenal skipper Jorginho:

"I was fuming.‌ I would never refuse to shake an opposition captain's hand, no way. You can have as many arguments as you want on the pitch but shake hands at the end, it's part of the sport."

Jamal Lascelles told reporters Arsenal captain Jorginho had refused to shake his hand after Newcastle's 1-0 win at St James' Park on Saturday

Jamaal Lascelles hit out at Arsenal's sportsmanship and said he was "so glad" to beat the Gunners after Jorginho snubbed a post-match handshake with the Newcastle captain. 

A bad-tempered game at St James' Park ended the Gunners' unbeaten start with a controversial winner from Anthony Gordon, later labelled a "disgrace" by Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta who believed the ball had gone out of play in the build-up.

The tension was stoked further on Sunday when Arsenal released a strongly-worded statement demanding the PGMOL "urgently address the standard of officiating in the Premier League" on the back of the game.

Newcastle 1-0 Arsenal 

Newcastle captain Lascelles was left in an equally bad mood in the aftermath of the game, having attempted to shake the hand of opposition skipper Jorginho. The Magpies captain told reporters he was ignored by the Italian and criticised Arsenal's reaction to their first league loss since May.

"I'm just so glad that we beat them," he was quoted in the Daily Mirror. "Their captain Jorginho didn't want to shake my hand after the game.

"I was fuming, it's not on.‌ I would never refuse to shake an opposition captain's hand, no way. You can have as many arguments as you want on the pitch but shake hands at the end, it's part of the sport.

‌"For me, whatever happens on the pitch - handbags or whatever - you show sportsmanship and shake hands afterwards. He didn't do that, so I'm so glad we beat them. Players like that, I don't think it's acceptable.

"A lot of them walked in but I went up to him to shake his hand but he didn't want to - and he's their captain! There was a lot of that in the game but that's football and we managed it well and kept our cool."

As Sir Bobby said. Some folk need to learn how to loose! 

Just shows how important a manager can be to a players career. Jamaal, Almiron, Longstaff, Murphy, Schar...the list goes on...imagine how we would all have remembered them if our only memory was the Bruce years. 

I’ll admit I was worried when Sven was confirmed as being out for eternity but this lads clearly been Howe’d, he’s been nothing short of immense, truth be told. 

It’s easy to forget but Rafa seen him react after Southampton and realised, despite his limitations, he’s a leader & strong personality. 

We talk about the effect Trips has on the team but this lad is always mentioned by the other players & staff, he’s never moaned, never caused issues (the town thing any of us would of stuck up for our own) and has came back into the team like a CB worth >30mil. 

Obviously I’m being swept up with recent performances but, this just adds to the mystifying story of us so far, and I fucking love it. 

it’s crazy isn’t it. he’s literally blown out if the water what most people were saying about him in summer (need upgrade, time to go blah) .. then you have  dummet and krafth putting a proper shift in when needed, after literally zero game time. nothing short of remarkable. love it 

5 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Makes you wonder how many of the players we treated like donkeys in the bad old days would have been perfectly serviceable under a competent manager.

It's nice to think that "being Pardewed" (and the equivalent) is reversible. 

So strange to have a manager that actually improves players.

11 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Makes you wonder how many of the players we treated like donkeys in the bad old days would have been perfectly serviceable under a competent manager.

Was just about to say, I'm not gonna to rewrite history, but it even makes you wonder about players like Titus Bramble - a player who could look top class for 89 minutes and still give two goals away.

3 hours ago, oldtype said:

Would have been interesting to see what Eddie would have done with Ben Arfa. I suspect it may have been a similar path to Maxi.

On 07/11/2023 at 08:09, Magpie said:

Would have been interesting to see what Eddie would have done with Ben Arfa. I suspect it may have been a similar path to Maxi.

My brain shuts down trying to picture Ben Arfa in a high press. 

I'd say Jammy L is a solid premier league defender with an excellent mentality. Can't say I could expect more from a reserve right now. And after his Brucing and benching it's good to see him back performing well again.

He's about to turn 30 & I'd be happy for him to sign an extension for another year or two, but if he does leave for first team football when his contract's up it's nice he can go having shown what he's about again.