Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

Looking at the squad now I'd be absolutely fine with Lascelles staying. He'll be 4th choice CB so very unlikely to actually start in the Prem and would make most of his appearances in cup games I imagine.

Fernandez is the odd one for me, he's gone to Austria so clearly fit again now but obviously isn't on his way out just yet. With Dumment able to cover CB I'm not sure we need Fernandez AND Lascelles. 

18 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Looking at the squad now I'd be absolutely fine with Lascelles staying. He'll be 4th choice CB so very unlikely to actually start in the Prem and would make most of his appearances in cup games I imagine.

Fernandez is the odd one for me, he's gone to Austria so clearly fit again now but obviously isn't on his way out just yet. With Dumment able to cover CB I'm not sure we need Fernandez AND Lascelles. 

Ignoring the obvious. He's 1st choice back-up to Schar.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Ignoring the obvious. He's 1st choice back-up to Schar.

We could play Burn and Botman together.  Plenty of right footed centre backs play as a pair

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

We could play Burn and Botman together.  Plenty of right footed centre backs play as a pair

Aye but that's through necessity brought about by a lack of left footed CBs. Though you could be right, we could move Botman over and bring in Burn on the left.

2 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

There’s obviously going to be a team captain/club captain setup.

He’ll not start on a regular basis, Trippier is likely to get the armband whilst Lascelles arse is warming the bench.

10 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Confirmed as captain for the season.

I think Thats the first «mistake» Eddie has made here in my mind. Might be only me tho. 

lacelles should be sold / loaded out for sure and trippier given the band. 

Lascelles has shown- at least in a couple of games near the end of the season- that he isn’t a complete liability, I suppose. Howe seems to be focused on team unity and morale which was certainly a massive contributing factor to our amazing late-season form last year. Would be pretty silly to throw that to the wayside so soon imo.

I imagine (or would hope) that he’d be a bit more ruthless as expectations rise; carrying players for the sake of morale at the expense of ability only gets you so far.

Edited by McCormick

It's clearly a balancing act. You want to improve and there's a lot to be said symbolically for cutting away a lot from the previous regime. But you also want to keep the team spirit and also retain the continuity of people who have been at the club longer and arguably know it better than the management. That explains giving somebody like Dummett a contract.

This is particularly true when you're aiming for a certain quality of player which limits the # of players you can bring in during a window. And are also finding it difficult to move players out of the club. 

I think we're doing OK so far - but are possibly not quite being ruthless enough. For example if Ritchie gets any minutes at all this season in the league then something has gone very wrong. 

Edited by ponsaelius

11 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

It's clearly a balancing act. You want to improve and there's a lot to be said symbolically for cutting away a lot from the previous regime. But you also want to keep the team spirit and also retain the continuity of people who have been at the club longer and arguably know it better than the management. That explains giving somebody like Dummett a contract.

This is particularly true when you're aiming for a certain quality of player which limits the # of players you can bring in during a window. And are also finding it difficult to move players out of the club. 

I think we're doing OK so far - but are possibly not quite being ruthless enough. For example if Ritchie gets any minutes at all this season in the league then something has gone very wrong. 

Hopefully Ritchie doesn't get a squad number this season. Nothing against him, if he stays he's there for training and transitioning in to coaching. If he wants to play then he can go out on loan till he's ready to retire. 

I've not issues with him being around the club for the next 5-10 years, but I never want to see him on the pitch again. 

6 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

With the 5 subs rule unfortunately Ritchie's gonna get plenty of minutes.

Then we are failing players like Lewis & Anderson. 

If we see him play any games then we have massively failed as a club in our recruitment drive. It's a very fucking low bar to say Ritchie & even Gayle do not get minitues this season. No excuses really.

45 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

With the 5 subs rule unfortunately Ritchie's gonna get plenty of minutes.

Is he fuck. He never got a look in last 3rd of last season. Barely even got on the bench