Chancel Mbemba

Nobody

I'd say he'd DEFINITELY look better in there than Colback :lol:

I'm sure Baba's not just throwing it out there lightly. He must have seen the guy has something about him in there.

I mean the likes of Abdoulaye Faye and more recently Cheick Kouyate move seamlessly between the two positions. Even Hayden started out primarily a centre back. It's not that big a deal.

I'd like to see it tried out in the Championship as we are more likely to get away with it due to how much better we are in general.

Man ... I just can't bear Colback.

I'm plenty chill [emoji38]

Rooney plays midfield for England but it doesn't mean he's good at it, i stand by what i said. Also him playing midfield for Congo ( no offence to them) is very different than him playing there for us.

He's a CB that's what he is, this is no different to the Colo farce or when people wanted Janmaat in midfield. To use another example Alaba plays in midfield for his country, but every time Bayern have tried to use him there instead of fullback he looks significantly worse.

It's all pretty meaningless.

Didn't Alaba start out as a midfielder?

I can understand Mole's doubts about playing a defender in midfield but let's be honest, he'd probably look better in there than Colback.

Colback shouldn't be there either, to be honest. Hayden's a fine sitting CM at this level and will only get better. No way I'd be looking to replace him with Mbemba.

A lot of defenders probably have the ability to move in as a DM as a lot of CB's  (or at least one of a good pairing) have good positional sense and the ability to read the game.

That combined with good physicality and fitness should do the trick and the obvious need for decent tackling ability.

Like any position up the spine of a 442 team though if you have one type of CB, CM or Striker you need one of the complimentary type next to them. Unless both are capable of both.

For example, Terry and Ferdinand - the shouting, organising, hard tackling, basic defender was Terry and Rio did the cleaning up, ball play, intercepting and sweeping.

Tiote could tackle but would play a 5 yard ball to Cabaye to distribute. Or in a better side you had someone like Makelele doing  the Tiote role or Kante at Leicester.

Up top, Ferguson and Shearer at one stage, the big man and the pace and power.

Relating this back to Chancel, he is comfortable on the ball, has the physicality and the ability to tackle, reads the game, distribution - I'm not so sure, but alongside a Shelvey, Hayden or even your Ben Arfa types he'd be put to good effect in my opinion.

Without one of those though he'd look a little limited.

I'm a big fan of Chancel like. Lascelles and Clark too. I think it's great we have 4 competent CBs  (including Hanley) at this level. I just hope that 3 of those 4 make the step up if and when the time comes.

For me Hanley would become dead weight and maybe an older, more experienced first teamer would need bringing in to bring the younger lads on.

Hopefully to be honest. I think we have a very good squad now for this level and to cement ourselves in the Premier League we'll need at least 3 strong signings. One at CB, CM and CF.

That'd just be a starting point. I suspect many will make a reasonable step up with the right coaching they are now receiving but not to the point of being a top 10 PL side. They'll serve their purpose but will need to be replaced in time. It's all about steady progress and not too much overwhelming change. Hopefully we've passed that stage now.

I have so much love and respect for Rafa like. Has literally turned this club.

Still think this team would be enough to simply stay up, with Rafa at the helm. but think we will need another 4-5 key players and 1 or 2 fringe ones if we want to attempt to kick on straight away.

Would hate for us to be content with just surviving again, but it seems we are past all that, and I doubt Rafa would stand for it.

I like to think that Ashley has finally seen the light in having arguably the best and most capable man of turning the club around at the helm. But who knows.

For me...We are weakest up top if anywhere at present (as in PL quality).  Which is strange given we're obviously scoring plenty

I think one of Rafa's main priorities next season (should we go up) will be a new CB, like.

It's similar to the striker situation. Gayle, Mitro and Perez are all scoring goals in the championship, but there'll still be questions whether they can do it in the premier. The same goes for our cb's, all of them are doing well at the moment, but the real test will come next season.

The striker situation is more clear cut. We know that Perez isn't a PL striker - he isn't a striker full stop, tbh - and that neither Gayle or Mitrovic are likely to get much more than 10 goals. We definitely need to invest very decent money in that area should we go up.