Newcastle United vs Southampton FC - 09/08/15 1.30 pm BST - Pre match thread

Nobody

Even though we haven't done enough in the transfer market i'm getting a bit excited and nervous. Curious to see where we stand at the moment.

I couldn't sleep last night :lol: I'm in for a rude awakening come 12:30 when the team is announced  :lol:

Obertan and Williamson to start imo.

If either of them starts. :anguish:

It's the start of the 2015/16 season and somehow everyone is still scared of those two muppets starting. :lol:

Even though i keep telling my self that i will give it time and not get too frustrated early, i'll still put away most valuable stuff close to me before the team is announced :lol:

I think we'll see this.

Krul

Janmaat Mbemba Colo/Sayls Haidara

Colback - Anita

Siss - Wijnaldum - Perez

Cisse

Would love Mitrovic and De Jong for Anita/Colback and Cisse though and move Wijnaldum deeper.

I mean there's no way Williamson should ever start another game for this club in the PL. Best he should do is get a 2nd or 3rd round league cup game start.

I really hope we don't see Colback-Anita Flip :lol: irrelevant of what's in front of them which is pretty good tbf.

As if that's what I'm wishing for like :lol: I just really think McClaren is going with that.

I really hope we don't see Colback-Anita Flip :lol: irrelevant of what's in front of them which is pretty good tbf.

:thup: Wijnaldum has to play deeper as we actually have some options further up the field.

And so we move into another season. Last season never really recovered from the horrible campaign before and the club were seemingly happy to gamble on our status until January then May. Players were flat, stale and unsuccessful tactics weren't being changed and my club was in real danger of not being recognised as my club. Previously enjoyable match days became gatherings for anger, blots on the calendar only broken by our 17th minute unity. Loud support remained but it was mixed in with the highlighting of failings and constant misdirection. Leaving early and even staying outside suddenly felt like the right thing to do long term. Quite simply the club was broken from top to bottom and infighting was frequent.

Today marks the beginning of a new season. A fresh chapter. A much needed reboot. Correcting the wrongs is going to take time and things will go wrong, after all, it wouldn't be Newcastle United otherwise. In amongst the mess of last season the glimmer of pride, the sense of Unitedness, was clearly still alive and evident on the last day. Damaged and beaten, battles were fought to regain control and restore hope. Status was guaranteed, fingers were stuck up at problems and unknowns wildly celebrated together. Nothing or no one encapsulated this moment more than Jonas. It was magical, a fairytale ending to a reoccurring nightmare.

We support for varying reasons and judge 'success' differently but no one would disagree that being a Newcastle United fan on the good days, and I'm not just talking when we win, is indescribable. It's why we keep going back. It's time to return. It's time to be United. Howay the lads!

Caved in and bought a ticket t'other day. Looking forward to this.

You'll see at least one good side, anyway. ;)

Think we might draw now. Usual new season optimism based on little to nowt.

I have absolutely no idea what the result is gonna be, tbh. I'd say it's more likely that Southampton will play the better football, but who knows? Maybe our lads will be dead up for it.

And so we move into another season. Last season never really recovered from the horrible campaign before and the club were seemingly happy to gamble on our status until January then May. Players were flat, stale and unsuccessful tactics weren't being changed and my club was in real danger of not being recognised as my club. Previously enjoyable match days became gatherings for anger, blots on the calendar only broken by our 17th minute unity. Loud support remained but it was mixed in with the highlighting of failings and constant misdirection. Leaving early and even staying outside suddenly felt like the right thing to do long term. Quite simply the club was broken from top to bottom and infighting was frequent.

Today marks the beginning of a new season. A fresh chapter. A much needed reboot. Correcting the wrongs is going to take time and things will go wrong, after all, it wouldn't be Newcastle United otherwise. In amongst the mess of last season the glimmer of pride, the sense of Unitedness, was clearly still alive and evident on the last day. Damaged and beaten, battles were fought to regain control and restore hope. Status was guaranteed, fingers were stuck up at problems and unknowns wildly celebrated together. Nothing or no one encapsulated this moment more than Jonas. It was magical, a fairytale ending to a reoccurring nightmare.

We support for varying reasons and judge 'success' differently but no one would disagree that being a Newcastle United fan on the good days, and I'm not just talking when we win, is indescribable. It's why we keep going back. It's time to return. It's time to be United. Howay the lads!

Very inspirational, got a tear in my eye over here.

:p

Joking aside, I really do hope this is somewhat a new chapter and  that we're not stuck in the same. Not sure I have that much faith in McClaren to say this is a new one already though.

Seen this "leaked" team on twitter.  How accurate it is, who knows. We'll find out soon enough

Krul

Janmaat

Taylor

Mbemba

Haidara

Anita

Colback

Wijnaldum

Sissoko

de Jong

Mitrovic

Lack of LM/LW

Seen this "leaked" team on twitter.  How accurate it is, who knows. We'll find out soon enough

Krul

Janmaat

Taylor

Mbemba

Haidara

Anita

Colback

Wijnaldum

Sissoko

de Jong

Mitrovic

Lack of LM/LW

I'd be OK with that.

Krul

Janmaat

Taylor

Mbemba

Haidara

Anita

Colback

Wijnaldum

Sissoko

de Jong

Mitrovic

Lack of LM/LW

Sounds plausible.

Krul

Janmaat

Taylor

Mbemba

Haidara

Anita

Colback

Wijnaldum

Sissoko

de Jong

Mitrovic

Lack of LM/LW