Newcastle 0-1 Andre Marriner - 29/8/15 - Post Match Reaction From Page 5

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One of the more grotesque passages of refereeing was the whole Cazorla and Wijnaldum bookings.

Carzorla got pulled up for a nothing foul (finally) then Colo came over to have a go. Only then did the ref start to turn around and get his card out. Wijnaldum obviously said something and so he immediately booked him too to make up for it.

Was like he was being a caricature of his own self.

:thup:

Aye, the bloke totally lost control of the game.

Wijnaldum should have not said anything to the ref....

No, I agree there. But frustrations were high and he had failed to book any of the Arsenal players for doing the same. It was the first booking of the game for them.

Rooney was screaming at the ref and got nothing too in their match. It's inconsistent and ridiculous.

inconsistent yes I agree..but that does not change the fact he got everything nearly spot on.

Tbh We where lucky he never gave them a pen because that was clear also!

He set the bar far too low for yellow cards, don't see how anyone can argue with that. I still think the red was harsh as well, since Mitrovic just stuck out his leg and seemed to be just slow to react to the dropping ball. Can't help but think his reputation went before him there.

The red was harsh, three of the yellows were justified - other three were harsh.

The worst part of his performance was the inconsistencies between our 'fouls'/yellow cards and Arsenal's.

Sanchez asking for yellow cards all game (and getting them) but Gini getting booked the second he did it.

The penalty was wrong also, but I can sort of see how he missed it as in full motion it looked like nothing happened - only when it's slowed down 10 times you clearly see Thauvin stand on the back of his heel.

I think as others have said, Marriner thought he was spot on with his early decision and took the crowds/players reaction as a driving force to continue as he was.

Overall he had a shocking game, that cannot be ignored or argued with. He certainly didn't get nearly everything spot on.

In isolation you could justify pretty much every one of our bookings (the Colo and Thauvin ones the exceptions), and the red card (as I've previously said) whether harsh or not, was understandable.

Is that not every bodies gripe? The fact that Thauvin and Colo shouldn't have been booked, with Mitro being debatable and only seeing red because of his new found reputation, not the evidence of the tackle?

You've explained it yourself, didn't give pen to Arsenal. Should've sent off Sissoko more than Mitrovic, booked two players because he was told to (once by Colo, once by Wenger) watched the challenge on Colback, no attempt at the ball and dangerous but not studs up,  foul , but not a yellow. He had a poor game which he massively changed after 16mins wrongly.

In isolation you could justify pretty much every one of our bookings (the Colo and Thauvin ones the exceptions), and the red card (as I've previously said) whether harsh or not, was understandable.

Is that not every bodies gripe? The fact that Thauvin and Colo shouldn't have been booked, with Mitro being debatable and only seeing red because of his new found reputation, not the evidence of the tackle?

See, I'm not of the opinion that Mitro walked because of his reputation. I think you'd see a red given more often than not for that. I appear to be in the minority on this board re that though.

You certainly are. Somebody even posted an Arsenal forum a few pages ago. Even they were 50/50.

You've explained it yourself, didn't give pen to Arsenal. Should've sent off Sissoko more than Mitrovic, booked two players because he was told to (once by Colo, once by Wenger) watched the challenge on Colback, no attempt at the ball and dangerous but not studs up,  foul , but not a yellow. He had a poor game which he massively changed after 16mins wrongly.

Firstly, just because I said that I thought Sissokos was worse doesn't mean I didn't think Mitros was bad. I mean you could argue that Sissoko got lucky (probably because it was early in the game) and Mitro was slightly unlucky (although I still think it was a red).

Secondly I don't really buy that he only booked people because people told him to. Just because he doesn't reach for his card immediately doesn't mean he wasn't going to.

Watch him all the way through the game. Gary Neville, who I normally like, got him wrong, he said about him taking his time about the sending off...NO HE DOESN'T. Watch it, his hand goes straight to the back pocket and when you watch when they've reched they don't change their minds. He takes his time to draw the card but he's always doing it. On the yellows he's very quick onto those, I wonder why the only two he doesn't give straight away are those which he gives after being "consulted" ?

TOON ABUSE IS DISGRACE - Ian Wright

I was at the Newcastle v Arsenal match at the weekend, in the middle of the Toon fans, and was disgusted by the abuse they hurled at Andre Marriner.

It wasn't just a small group - it was thousands of them acting in unison - and I found it unfair and deeply offensive. Ref Marriner got the decision to send off Aleksandar Mitrovic absolutely spot on. He went in over the top on Francis Coquelin with his studs showing and it was an automatic red card. It didn't matter whether that happened after 16 minutes or 86. A red card is a red card and for Newcastle fans to accuse Marriner of spoiling the game is crazy. Blame Mitrovic for that.

But the amount of venom that came from the fans was something I genuinely haven't experienced before. I've played in matches where the supporters were extremely hostile but not like this. They were at the ref for the whole of the game, even though he actually turned in a really good performance -  which is quite something under the circumstances.

If he got one big decision wrong, it was when he refused to give Arsenal a penalty. Otherwise he got the big calls right. I don't like to see bullying in any form, and that is what the Toon fans were doing. It's not on, and when it gets this bad the authorities have to look at it and take action.

Ok, when there are that many people involved, it's tough to know what to do. But clubs also have to think of ways to protect refs from this kind of intimidation. Let's do something before this becomes the norm.

I was at the Newcastle v Arsenal match at the weekend, in the middle of the Toon fans, and was disgusted by the abuse they hurled at Andre Marriner.

It wasn't just a small group - it was thousands of them acting in unison - and I found it unfair and deeply offensive. Ref Marriner got the decision to send off Aleksandar Mitrovic absolutely spot on. He went in over the top on Francis Coquelin with his studs showing and it was an automatic red card. It didn't matter whether that happened after 16 minutes or 86. A red card is a red card and for Newcastle fans to accuse Marriner of spoiling the game is crazy. Blame Mitrovic for that.

But the amount of venom that came from the fans was something I genuinely haven't experienced before. I've played in matches where the supporters were extremely hostile but not like this. They were at the ref for the whole of the game, even though he actually turned in a really good performance -  which is quite something under the circumstances.

If he got one big decision wrong, it was when he refused to give Arsenal a penalty. Otherwise he got the big calls right. I don't like to see bullying in any form, and that is what the Toon fans were doing. It's not on, and when it gets this bad the authorities have to look at it and take action.

Ok, when there are that many people involved, it's tough to know what to do. But clubs also have to think of ways to protect refs from this kind of intimidation. Let's do something before this becomes the norm.

that is fucking diabolical :lol:

:lol: What an absolute melt.

This is sad :lol: His team won FFS.