Newcastle 0-1 Andre Marriner - 29/8/15 - Post Match Reaction From Page 5

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TOON ABUSE IS DISGRACE - Ian Wright

I was at the Newcastle v Arsenal match at the weekend, in the middle of the Toon fans, and was disgusted by the abuse they hurled at Andre Marriner.

It wasn't just a small group - it was thousands of them acting in unison - and I found it unfair and deeply offensive. Ref Marriner got the decision to send off Aleksandar Mitrovic absolutely spot on. He went in over the top on Francis Coquelin with his studs showing and it was an automatic red card. It didn't matter whether that happened after 16 minutes or 86. A red card is a red card and for Newcastle fans to accuse Marriner of spoiling the game is crazy. Blame Mitrovic for that.

But the amount of venom that came from the fans was something I genuinely haven't experienced before. I've played in matches where the supporters were extremely hostile but not like this. They were at the ref for the whole of the game, even though he actually turned in a really good performance -  which is quite something under the circumstances.

If he got one big decision wrong, it was when he refused to give Arsenal a penalty. Otherwise he got the big calls right. I don't like to see bullying in any form, and that is what the Toon fans were doing. It's not on, and when it gets this bad the authorities have to look at it and take action.

Ok, when there are that many people involved, it's tough to know what to do. But clubs also have to think of ways to protect refs from this kind of intimidation. Let's do something before this becomes the norm.

Bullying FFS.  What action should the authorities take like?

A tweet he made this morning:

Ian Wright ‏@IanWright0 2h2 hours ago

@arse_or_brain @lgunner1982 you ******* idiot. Fans like you are the problem. We are embarrassing.

Bullying is wrong, m'kay.

I know we should just ignore comments like this, but I find it absolutely infuriating when utter morons are given airtime and column inches to spout utter drivel like this. Referee sends off home player and crowd boo him, that's generally what home crowds do Ian, did he expect a standing ovation?

Guest firetotheworks

He's the most ridiculously biased pundit of all time man. Be it Arsenal, Palace, England or his sons, he always sticks up for them regardless of whether it makes him look like a complete and utter fool or not.

TOON ABUSE IS DISGRACE - Ian Wright

I was at the Newcastle v Arsenal match at the weekend, in the middle of the Toon fans, and was disgusted by the abuse they hurled at Andre Marriner.

It wasn't just a small group - it was thousands of them acting in unison - and I found it unfair and deeply offensive. Ref Marriner got the decision to send off Aleksandar Mitrovic absolutely spot on. He went in over the top on Francis Coquelin with his studs showing and it was an automatic red card. It didn't matter whether that happened after 16 minutes or 86. A red card is a red card and for Newcastle fans to accuse Marriner of spoiling the game is crazy. Blame Mitrovic for that.

But the amount of venom that came from the fans was something I genuinely haven't experienced before. I've played in matches where the supporters were extremely hostile but not like this. They were at the ref for the whole of the game, even though he actually turned in a really good performance -  which is quite something under the circumstances.

If he got one big decision wrong, it was when he refused to give Arsenal a penalty. Otherwise he got the big calls right. I don't like to see bullying in any form, and that is what the Toon fans were doing. It's not on, and when it gets this bad the authorities have to look at it and take action.

Ok, when there are that many people involved, it's tough to know what to do. But clubs also have to think of ways to protect refs from this kind of intimidation. Let's do something before this becomes the norm.

Bullying FFS.  What action should the authorities take like?

Wow, the soft shite. He's never experienced such venom he says? Well, he must have lived a very sheltered life.

It was more like Pantomime ffs than venom. He's just using his media position to whinge and cry about something he got upset over as it was against his team.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, he was a very good striker and would start for England now, easily. He had no chance with Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Fowler, Cole and then others like Sutton and Collymore around as well. He was up there with Ferdinand, Fowler and Cole, but Shearer and Sheringham were a level above when they played for England imo.