Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Fwiw I wouldn't just expect cover to replace him. I'd be hoping we make a long term midfield signing - even if it's a loan-to-buy situation.

I'd take a loan even if there's no obligation. Gallagher to plug a gap for 5 months until the summer or something.

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He would inevitably have secured himself another contract as there'll be plenty of games to choose from when he returns from injury.

That's why I'm surprised he's so willing to go to Forest. Guess they must be willing to match his wages

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I'd take a loan even if there's no obligation. Gallagher to plug a gap for 5 months until the summer or something.

That would be infinitely better than having to give Shelvey a new multi-year contract

Just now, joeyt said:

That's why I'm surprised he's so willing to go to Forest. Guess they must be willing to match his wages

It'll be down to length or contract too I reckon. At the very least he must have guaranteed himself an extra year through this.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Well I'd imagine so otherwise he wouldn't have signed him. 

we should all know by now that Howe does not like throwing a new player in if he is already getting what he wants from the team.

We’re an injury/ loss of form or suspension away from having a very limited central midfield. Shelvey had got himself in top nick pre season and could have filled in.

It’s an opportunity for us to upgrade and I can see us really going for this. 

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If Chelsea sign Martinez then it seems quite likely. The other Thuram is being linked also

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Just now, 54 said:

Wood for Gordon, and Shelvey for Gallagher would be a great bit of business.

Would be unbelievable business. Younger, better and less wages.

Ashworth masterclass.

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I don’t really get the idea of replacing Shelvey with Gallagher on loan, surely they’re both totally different profiles of midfielders? 

Obviously trust Ashworth and Howe etc.

Gallagher can run and press. Shelvey can't.