Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I know there's a concern it might leave us short if we don't replace him, but we might have to accept that while we're transitioning we might see more of these sorts of sale when an offer comes in. 

I'm not even worried about that either given he's played about half an hour all season. Might just mean Anderson hangs around until the summer and gets a loan next season instead.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I know there's a concern it might leave us short if we don't replace him, but we might have to accept that while we're transitioning we might see more of these sorts of sale when an offer comes in. 

I'm not even worried about that either given he's played about half an hour all season. Might just mean Anderson hangs around until the summer and gets a loan next season instead.

I believe regardless if we're left short, should the opportunity arrive to move on players who in all probability won't get a game and are of a certain period in their career then take that option

Goes against most on here, but I felt since the takeover he improved massively in fitness and defensive workrate. Started this season in decent shape, and wouldn't have been surprised if he was the next big turnaround under Howe, then a horribly timed injury. 

1 minute ago, wyn davies said:

I believe regardless if we're left short, should the opportunity arrive to move on players who in all probability won't get a game and are of a certain period in their career then take that option

Don't think we've made any money of note since Perez to Leicester? A lot of money out the other way. If we've even got £20m combined from Forest for Wood & Shelvey it's something.

6 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

He's had quite a lot of stick from our fan base but he's been a good servant to the club and I quite like him. 

Too many below par performances and moments of petulance for me. I don’t dislike him by any stretch but he could’ve done so much more here had he applied himself consistently.

37 minutes ago, STM said:

They will do their utmost to replace him but ultimately this was a deal they had to do.

They didn't want Shelvey triggering an extension.

Shelvey wouldn't have triggered it. Only the club could by playing him. So if they aren't going g to pick him and there's a bit cash to be made. 

Still want a replacement though and don't think k they'd have let him go without one being a good possibility.

Edited by madras

People are getting way too misty eyed about this. Played a part in our promotion and was alright in spells last season, but ultimately an absolute passenger for most of his time here who showed glimpses of his talent for Match of the Day, but didn't do enough on a consistent basis.  

Anyway, good luck to him.

Edited by The Prophet

Has sort of looked like a changed man since the new management came in so it is good that he leaves before having the chance to prove that all bullshit and that he is still a liability. No ill will towards him now he is finally leaving, hopefully he can play a part for Forest.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

People are getting way too misty eyed about this. Played a part in our promotion and was alright in spells last season, but ultimately an absolute passenger for most of his time here who showed glimpses of his talent for Match of the Day, but didn't do enough on a consistent basis.  

Anyway, good luck to him.

You have just summed up his whole career and some people's expectations of him were just that. We knew what we were getting. Just let us grieve....

I’ll be sad when he’s leaving but it’s probably the right time given his wages and contract situation.

I do think he’s under appreciated by a lot of the fan base as any upturn in form we’ve had he’s usually been an important cog in it - he’s an easy scapegoat when things don’t go well as he isn’t one of those all action players. 

He’s had some huge games for us. The Man U victory on Dubravka’s debut really stands out. He dominated Pogba. 

He’s also really bought into the North East and loves the area. 

Assuming we get to a final and finish well in the league I think he deserves to be part of the first Newcastle squad to potentially achieve something in decades. That said, the decision seems to be his. 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s the right decision for the club and financially probably for him too but feel he deserves more respect. People buzzing he’s leaving feels a seems a bit shan [emoji38]