Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Said something about not being convinced about his attitude, or something.

The thing I don't get about this argument is that there is every chance that his attitude will change just by him making the move, it could make him more determined. In a way it's like when anyone gets a new job, when you first start you are determined to make sure you get off on the right foot, so you put in as much effort as possible to make sure you give the right impression.

It'll be good to have a miserable player we haven't one for ages, not since Silvio Maric.

:lol: Why the long face JJ?

"Ah?" [it ain't long you Norven baarstad, just got no fringe, innit!]

I genuinely have no idea what that means  :lol:

It'll be good to have a miserable player we haven't one for ages, not since Silvio Maric.

Can't you understand proper Cockney?? Apples n pears, Ain't you ever seen a toff? Sir Les,  Sweeney Todd, Rob Lee, nuff said

Can't you understand proper Cockney?? Apples n pears, Ain't you ever seen a toff? Sir Les,  Sweeney Todd, Rob Lee, nuff said

Ah i see it now, i thought it was icelandic or something  :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

A decent signing, but forced. We should have been spending that kind of money for a midfielder when we were signing Colback for nowt. I'd much rather we spent this kind of money from this deal and the other fella's on a top class striker like. He will do well here though and should destroy the Championship.

Relieved to have ended a run of four defeats, McClaren’s mood was further buoyed by the completion of Jonjo Shelvey’s £12m transfer from Swansea City shortly before kickoff. McClaren said: “I think there’s a lot more to come from him.” The midfielder is expected to make his debut at home to West Ham United on Saturday.

“I’m delighted to have signed Jonjo Shelvey,” he said. “I tried to sign him last summer. He’s English, he’s in the England team and I think there’s a lot more to come from him.”

[sic]

I'm really uncertain about this one. Certainly Anita, Colback, and Tiote don't possess his long-range passing ability, and he has a decent shot from outside the area, although my understanding is that since being moved back into the centre of midfield, he has played around the same number of games and scored the same number of goals as Colback. He is big and physical, but Swansea fans seem critical of his defensive contribution, and he was being called out for laziness by Monk over a year ago.

Is long passing a vital component missing from our attack? Would we be better instead with someone who presses and can play quick short balls through the midfield to Wijnaldum and Sissoko? My inclination is the latter. Maybe Saivet is tidy and energetic and can complement Shelvey well, but I really don't want to see some arrogant lug constantly playing Hollywood balls, taking long shots, and shouting at more hardworking teammates. I guess I'm cautiously pessimistic about the transfer.

I'm really uncertain about this one. Certainly Anita, Colback, and Tiote don't possess his long-range passing ability, and he has a decent shot from outside the area, although my understanding is that since being moved back into the centre of midfield, he has played around the same number of games and scored the same number of goals as Colback. He is big and physical, but Swansea fans seem critical of his defensive contribution, and he was being called out for laziness by Monk over a year ago.

Is long passing a vital component missing from our attack? Would we be better instead with someone who presses and can play quick short balls through the midfield to Wijnaldum and Sissoko? My inclination is the latter. Maybe Saivet is tidy and energetic and can complement Shelvey well, but I really don't want to see some arrogant lug constantly playing Hollywood balls, taking long shots, and shouting at more hardworking teammates. I guess I'm cautiously pessimistic about the transfer.

i see it as the opposite, albeit from a very hopeful perspective, in that having someone with a range of passing will perhaps finally break the pardew stranglehold on the players that has meant no fucker has ran off the ball for years so we rarely get in behind teams

get janmaat, sissoko, wijnaldum and perez making runs for shelvey to pick out and we could look like a very different team indeed, in theory

It's not even about long passing to me, it's that Colback, Tiote and Anita are incapable of of breaking lines of opposition defenders by passing it forward 5-10 yards but Shelvey can.

I don't particularly rate him but he can do that at the very least.

It's not even about long passing to me, it's that Colback, Tiote and Anita are incapable of of breaking lines of opposition defenders by passing it forward 5-10 yards but Shelvey can.

it's about having the range of short and long *forward* passing so that the opposition can't completely close you down because they know you're never going to look for or have the quality to play a 50 yard pass into space for sissoko to use his pace to get onto, for example

theoretically it should open up a whole new dimension to our game really as at the moment we just get pressed back and colback/anita go sideways at best or tiote will fall over or boot it out for a throw in

it's about having the range of short and long *forward* passing so that the opposition can't completely close you down because they know you're never going to look for or have the quality to play a 50 yard pass into space for sissoko to use his pace to get onto, for example

theoretically it should open up a whole new dimension to our game really as at the moment we just get pressed back and colback/anita go sideways at best or tiote will fall over or boot it out for a throw in

Agreed, good post my man.

Yeah, good points. The last midfielder we had who could play a dangerous long pass was Cabaye, though ironically I remember Gouffran as the last player who really benefitted from it, going on a brief goalscoring run getting in down the left during the first half of 2013-14. I suppose I think that Anita and Tiote do sometimes look to play fairly sharp, short, and direct forward passes, only they struggle because our attack lacks movement, which is a product of confidence, insufficient coaching, and a lack of practise in possession. I also reckon Wijnaldum looks better surging forward with the ball at his feet, though certainly Sissoko can threaten running in behind. I'm no expert on Shelvey's game, but a lot of his passing looks quite deliberate to me: as though he can hit the ball with pace and accuracy over short or long distances, but it takes a bit of time for him to set himself up.

CM: JONJO SHELVEY

Shelvey's weirdness is perfectly typified by his performance against old club Liverpool this season. Before the match, he said he was going to treat it like any other game; keep his head down, not let the past get to him. By the end of it, he'd scored once (for Swansea), set up another two (for Liverpool) and then set up another (for Swansea). He spent most of the game panicking from box to box, like a spooked ostrich in a house of mirrors. His distribution veered between Zidane and Zombie Jesus. He has played terribly at points this season, yet has still managed to score one of its best goals.

He's a bizarre kind of player, an imposing yet erratic midfielder who for some reason wants to attack everyone and everything, like Yaya Toure with rabies. But at the same time he can appear stupidly delicate. He's capable of sublime skill and, during moments of obvious mental crisis – Shelvey is not very good at hiding these, at all – his teammates protect him like a haemophiliac prince. Plus he looks, in the words of a pal of mine, like "a friendly alien from Farscape".

Needless to say, he's a shoo-in for the VICE alternative team of the season. In fact, he's the fucking captain.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/vices-11-favourite-players-of-the-season

Shelvey's weirdness is perfectly typified by his performance against old club Liverpool this season. Before the match, he said he was going to treat it like any other game; keep his head down, not let the past get to him. By the end of it, he'd scored once (for Swansea), set up another two (for Liverpool) and then set up another (for Swansea). He spent most of the game panicking from box to box, like a spooked ostrich in a house of mirrors. His distribution veered between Zidane and Zombie Jesus. He has played terribly at points this season, yet has still managed to score one of its best goals.

He's a bizarre kind of player, an imposing yet erratic midfielder who for some reason wants to attack everyone and everything, like Yaya Toure with rabies. But at the same time he can appear stupidly delicate. He's capable of sublime skill and, during moments of obvious mental crisis – Shelvey is not very good at hiding these, at all – his teammates protect him like a haemophiliac prince. Plus he looks, in the words of a pal of mine, like "a friendly alien from Farscape".

Needless to say, he's a shoo-in for the VICE alternative team of the season. In fact, he's the fucking captain.

Fuuuck why did I scroll to the bottom :lol:

Joey Barton wasn't exactly Mr. Happy.

Just a thought but maybe Shelvey's Swansea career went downhill because they resigned Sigurdsson. With Ki also in the team, that's a very unbalanced midfield. It sounds like the kind of square-peg, round-hole recruitment we do.

Needless to say, he's a shoo-in for the VICE alternative team of the season. In fact, he's the f***ing captain.

I thought that was a serious summary at first, totally threw me I was howling by the end :lol: