Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

• 5 weeks later...
Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, STM said:

We've shown we can find players an exit door via the loan route.

Have we?  We've only got rid of 1 so far.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

By that time he will be 6th choice IMO. It's not a big deal. We've shown we can find players an exit door via the loan route.

It is when we are trying to get the budget down and he is currently still one of the highest earners

I’d really like us to have someone with a decent turn of pace and a great engine to protect the back 4. 
That aside, Shelley’s touch and passing range is absolute quality. 
If only he was a bit better tactically and really knew what space to occupy to deter the opposition he’d be very very useful indeed. 
I don’t think he’s slower than Fabinho and probably as strong, they might even have a similar range of passing but Fabinho just holds the position better. It’s the little movements I think. The steps here and there that actually put the opposition off from trying to pass through you. 
It’s probably too late in Shelvey’s career to learn that tbh. 
Still, you never know, he might have an epiphany and transform. 

That's a bit annoying. Definitely think like Lascelles he is fine for another year - but the one after is possibly a bit much. This would prevent a natural departure point of his contract ending and require us to try and shift a 31 year old next year.

Reality like all clubs who get taken over / the new regime has to deal with the old one’s oversight. 

I sense, just like Lascelles, and more so because Jonjo says often m he knows we will sign better players, that he is just here to play when called upon and will happily be a squad member of this ambitious club and play his role. He’s had a a great mentality since Howe has been here. He’s apparently as class as Jamaal off the pitch in the dressing room, so I’m fine with it. I’d rather he naturally be moved on but all good. Shit happens. 

Edited by Kanji

I have no doubt there would be takers for him next summer, also. All the signs I've seen are that he wants to play ball with the club and it's eventual direction, so I'm not upset by this.

He's not the same player under Eddie, he works and ticks the ball along. There's a lot less daft glory balls, and if his work off the ball drops, he'll be dropped. 

He's fine in this squad under this manager, he's not a Bruno obviously, but for now as we build for the future he's a decent experienced player.

Edited by Bimpy474

12 hours ago, mikejaxer said:

Don't get the hate. He's not the best player but he's been good under Howe. He'll be a squad player going forward.

I think it’s that Howe likes him a little too much, where other players might not get time because of him.