Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Well the Joselu goal against Liverpool was kicked off him by the Liverpool defender so wouldn't be counted as an assist for Shelvey despite a great pass. Harsh but life's not fair.

More like stats are often misleading.

Mental, he’s probably our most talented player. I much prefer him in the team than not, for all his faults he’s still capable of winning a game for us.

He's not won us a single game this season. Yes, not many of our players have, but Shelvey hasn't even looked good at any point this season. Assuming it's 1 in 1 out, we need to get rid. We've got enough deep lying central players at the club imo.

You’re happy enough with Diame and Hayden you’d let Shelvey go? Wow

Non-starter. No way should we be selling unless it's a truly silly offer like 20m+.

Have a bad feeling Rafa might compromise and see this as a way to raise funds though, as cash starved as he is.

Agreed.

I'm not completely opposed to selling him if the price is right and we have a replacement lined up, but who the hell are we going to get for under 20mil with that passing ability?

Without him we'd be an injury or 2 away from Hayden and Mbemba running the midfield.

Don't understand the opinions that we should get rid of him like. We aren't exactly spoiled for quality in midfield and I'd have Shelvey in the team (despite his limitations) ahead of pretty much everyone except Merino, purely on the basis that he actually looks for a pass in front of him and doesn't just play it safe. The likes of Colback, Saivet and Diame should be out the door first.

There's one reason why we would sell him; Ashley cashing in on anything he can before he goes.

Can't see us selling Shelvey Shelves for anything less than 20m personally.

This could be the one piece of merchandise tat that Ashley isn't currently selling

Or Shelvey sticks.

jonjo-shelvey-swansea-glasses-newcastle-united-nufc-650x400.jpg

Don't understand the opinions that we should get rid of him like. We aren't exactly spoiled for quality in midfield and I'd have Shelvey in the team (despite his limitations) ahead of pretty much everyone except Merino, purely on the basis that he actually looks for a pass in front of him and doesn't just play it safe. The likes of Colback, Saivet and Diame should be out the door first.

I'd sell him tomorrow for £10m or whatever on the assumption that Rafa got that money and wages to replace him immediately.

I'd sell him tomorrow for £10m or whatever on the assumption that Rafa got that money and wages to replace him immediately.

Who you going to get for £10M man? In this market, you won't get a better player than Shelvey for that price.

A) I can't think of a better midfielder that you'd get for £10m in the current market. B) it's a massive assumption that the money would even be reinvested at all.

Who you going to get for £10M man? In this market, you won't get a better player than Shelvey for that price.

rafa got merino for less than £10m, i'm not saying he could do it again but i think shelvey is basically a passenger most of the time and i'd rather see someone else playing who rafa scouted and trusts as that player would suit the system better

rafa got merino for less than £10m, i'm not saying he could do it again but i think shelvey is basically a passenger most of the time and i'd rather see someone else playing who rafa scouted and trusts as that player would suit the system better

In theory I agree with everything you said above. But in real life you know that fat Ashley will take over 50% in his own pocket and Rafa would be able to use at most 5m in the transfer marked and half of the salary Shelvey is on. Most likely we will get another Joselu, just in midfield.. I hope Shelvey stays, if we do sell then I want a replacement before he leaves like Chelsea has done with Kennedy.

I'm not a big fan of Shelvey but given Newcastle United's recent history in transfer windows there's no chance I'd be seeing him to fellow relegation candidates for anything less than 20million.

You're not going to get better for less than that, and get them bedded in, in time to gain the same level of impact as what Shelvey currently does for us.

He is unprofessional, arrogant and down right idiotic at times but he still one of our best midfielders and most talented players.

I could probably only name 3 or 4 who would pip him to the post of being Premier League quality in our squad.

Sell him at the end of the season but not now. Not unless we're signing someone of real, genuine PL class.

In theory I agree with everything you said above. But in real life you know that fat Ashley will take over 50% in his own pocket and Rafa would be able to use at most 5m in the transfer marked and half of the salary Shelvey is on. Most likely we will get another Joselu, just in midfield.. I hope Shelvey stays, if we do sell then I want a replacement before he leaves like Chelsea has done with Kennedy.

Oh absolutely aye, think I started with the proviso that Rafa get all money and wages from any sale otherwise no point I agree.

I like Shelvey as a player a lot. I think he has a huge part to play for the remainder of the season in keeping us in this league. He offers our most threatening ball forward by some distance, contrary to belief on here & the stat obsessives.

I think so too, he just needs to start showing it fucking quickly.

Oh absolutely aye, think I started with the proviso that Rafa get all money and wages from any sale otherwise no point I agree.

Wouldn't want the proviso of anything. At this club they'll tell you what you want to hear then completely disregard it. Sign the replacement before we let anyone go please. But that's a pipe dream given how we operate.