Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

You would scrap Henderson in favour of Cook?

I assumed you might have been taking the piss as you've taken my quote out of context for some reason. I'm talking about playing in a 38 game season for a Premier League side vs a 32 team knockout competition with England (like the actual English national side). His achievements with the U21s are irrelevant, that's like taking Gayle's record in the Championship as a measure of how he performs in the Premiership.

He isn't going to be a starter at the World Cup so his role is different, and as he doesn't offer anything particularly unique he's just backup for Henderson and Wilshere. Shelvey would be the same thing but with the advantage of actually being able to change a game if needed.

Looks like we’re going to try and play like Stam’s Reading last year and pass the ball sideways in our own half all match and claim that we’re a really good footballing side.

We've been doing that for a while tbh.

• 3 weeks later...

Won the battle of the baldys today.

Some of his passing was outstanding today, should really have had a couple of assists. His shooting though has been dreadful all season for some reason. Mooy's a very tidy player and a good one, but he really doesn't dominate a match as much as he should, maybe it's the role he plays in and he would benefit from playing further forward.

If he puts in performances at this level until the end of the season he will be on the plane with England imo. Or certainly should be.

The talent isn't the question. The consistentcy in form and self discipline is what has held him back from being picked imo.

Looked like he hoyed a punch - owt been said?

I'm sure MOTD will do their best to get him a ban like.

Fully expect it to be featured but only in a segment in the analysis along he lines of "he was brilliant but why did he have to do this..."

Another good game today....my only concern was the bit in injury time where he was standing with his hands on his knees (like Bournemouth) and totally gave up on his runner. Luckily they were utter shit and didn't take advantage.

Eh, I must have missed all that. When during the match?

1st half he pushed one their players when chasing a ball as we broke. There player lost his discipline and ran over to have a go at the ref when the game was still going on and then 2 minutes later fouled Shelvey on the halfway line.

Didn't look much more than Shelvey pushing to get passed a player trying to obstruct him at the time.

Was it not when he ran past Hogg and closed down all the way to the 'keeper? Hence Hogg giving him a late one soon after?

Yeah, their arms got a bit tangled and Hogg went whinging to the ref. Looked like Shelvey did absolutely nothing.

Won the battle of the baldys today.

Some of his passing was outstanding today, should really have had a couple of assists. His shooting though has been dreadful all season for some reason. Mooy's a very tidy player and a good one, but he really doesn't dominate a match as much as he should, maybe it's the role he plays in and he would benefit from playing further forward.

Mooy did last year (and at the Kirklees against us earlier in the season), I think it's just the way Huddersfield play as a team now. They used to look to dominate possession in the opponent 3rd of the pitch, now they want anything other than the ball at their feet.

Shelvey's got a better long range pass. But then Shelvey's long range passing is just such an anomaly. He can put a ball in behind from anywhere. Good to see Slimani making a run for him straight away today and it nearly coming off.