Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Fair play to Howe and co. If its them (likely) pushing players into comments like this. Likewise Shelvey for doing it. Even if he was off the pace yesterday he was still better than pre-howe imo and actually running. The new manager purple patch hasn't worn off yet as it did with rafa and Bruce.

He will still be here next year but honestly if we can sell and replace we should. Even off the bench I don't know what he would offer unless it's in games with tons of time and space. In that scenario we would likely already have the game wrapped up. His stock will likely be as high as it ever wil be for selling too.

Hayden will be at a newly promoted side come August or West Brom if Bruce doesn't get sacked.

15 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Always going to look bad against Brighton, their whole team can pass, move and control passes. 

I think they basically had a 6 man midfield with their fullbacks constantly pushed forward, we struggled to cope with it. 

Well that's always going to be the case when we play better teams tbh, because he's too slow to get anywhere near the best players. He'll have stinkers against all the CL teams as well. It's not his fault, he's done well recently, but that's because we have played teams in the bottom half of the table mostly.

I'm desperate not to be conned, but has the penny finally dropped with him? 

He could easily have just moved past this but the fact he's holding himself accountable can only be a positive. It's important he now puts on a performance against Southampton, but I must admit it's refreshing to have him do this at a time in which we've won and not after a red card or something daft. 

32 minutes ago, Thiago said:

He could easily have just moved past this but the fact he's holding himself accountable can only be a positive. It's important he now puts on a performance against Southampton, but I must admit it's refreshing to have him do this at a time in which we've won and not after a red card or something daft. 

He’s a player who thrives when the going is good, but can’t motivate himself when it’s not so good.

He’d never drag us out of the shit by the scruff of the neck, he’d be stood watching it happen around him.

35 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Think he’s the one who makes way for Bruno and he knows it.

Maybe Howes in his ear to motivate that it’s a World Cup year (no chance he goes) but he does seem to up his game every couple years when a “summer” tournament is on the cards.

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

He’s a player who thrives when the going is good, but can’t motivate himself when it’s not so good.

He’d never drag us out of the shit by the scruff of the neck, he’d be stood watching it happen around him.

Yeah, I don't debate that, I mean more that now things are moving in a positive direction are we about to see some consistency. You could usually set your watch to our fortunes fading when his does. 

He’s played far far worse and not said a word. If he’s turned a page in terms of attitude then fair enough.

It wasn’t his worst game at all yesterday, we didn’t really have much of the ball and he chased down their players as much as Willock did, created a nice chance over the top for ASM.

If he’s identified that he’s hitting that slump and is working to re-motivate himself, great, hopefully it doesn’t take months like it previously has. It’s not as much of a concern as it has been previously with Bruno waiting for his chance.

I’m aware that I sound like am being harsh on him but leopards don’t change their spots etc

Yeah the ball over the top for ASM was class from Shelvey, could have easily led to a goal.

Overall he just seemed to drop his performance levels that we have seen recently from him against Brighton. Could be the extra man in midfield for them making it complicated, but felt he struggled to see enough of the ball and didn't use it when he had it to his best as much. Maybe also seemed tired. Seems to be a perfect opportunity against Southampton to bring Bruno in for him, then bring Shelvey on late on in that game if needed.

Feel like it's right time for Bruno to shine now.

I actually thought that was one of his poorer games tbh but still levels above anything he's produced in the previous 2 years. 

I'm actually a fan of the fact he's actually applying himself for once and still think his selection in the team is merited based on his recent performances, but yesterday probably highlighted why we need someone who knows how to play that particular role and who won't be phased when playing against teams who dominate possesion like Brighton did. 

This isn't the first resurgence we've seen from Shelvey. He went through a couple of spells under Rafa where you could tell he was really putting the miles in on and off the training ground and he was effective for doing so. The latter half of 17/18 in particular springs to mind. But his runs of form have always had a life expectancy of a few months before he inevitably tails off and we're back to him being a liability.

Tbh I don't even think he's that good even when he's in form. Decent enough, for sure, but I can't remember many games where I've thought he was absolutely fantastic out anything. 

I think he's a decent enough bloke and, on reflection, the slagging of his character has probably been unfair in the past because he wouldn't have survived Rafa or even Howe if he didn't have generally decent mentality and application. But I would have absolutely no problems with him being sold in the summer. I was ready to never see him in the side again only six or seven weeks ago. 

Again, it comes down to recruitment plans. We can't shift/buy a whole squad and it wouldn't be wise to.

I think natural progression would see Shelvey playing second fiddle to Bruno or another new signing, next season.

I think it's as simple as he's very easily suggestible. If he's allowed to slack off he'll slack off. If he's forced to put the effort in then he'll do so and after a while you'll see an uptick in performances.

He's played a part in this fantastic run and I'll be grateful for that. But he's not someone I want to rely on if we aim to improve year on year. Keep him around another year or two if he's happy to play a bit part but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. 

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

This isn't the first resurgence we've seen from Shelvey. He went through a couple of spells under Rafa where you could tell he was really putting the miles in on and off the training ground and he was effective for doing so. The latter half of 17/18 in particular springs to mind. But his runs of form have always had a life expectancy of a few months before he inevitably tails off and we're back to him being a liability.

Tbh I don't even think he's that good even when he's in form. Decent enough, for sure, but I can't remember many games where I've thought he was absolutely fantastic out anything. 

I think he's a decent enough bloke and, on reflection, the slagging of his character has probably been unfair in the past because he wouldn't have survived Rafa or even Howe if he didn't have generally decent mentality and application. But I would have absolutely no problems with him being sold in the summer. I was ready to never see him in the side again only six or seven weeks ago. 

He's a 11-16th place player.

Bar a couple a of times he lost the ball, I thought he was fantastic again. The amount of ground he covers now in one game is equal to a season under Bruce.

I also think not having Big Joe next to him today took him a little time to get used too.

Great ball, great tracking back and blocking. Well Played!