Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

3 hours ago, Ben said:

Did someone on here say he has property in Turkey ? 

No idea if that's true, but can imagine he's gone out there thinking it will be part work, part holiday. Although lying on a sunbed is probably out of the question with his ghostly white complexion.

• 4 weeks later...

He was excellent in the second half of Howe's first season.

He was unlucky with injuries and his contract situation. had he been fit last season and performed well, he might still be here.

Worked out well for Anderson mind. Had Shelvey been fit, Anderson goes on loan or has even further reduced miuntes.

40 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Erm, no. He did his best but he can't contribute at the top level. 

Could say the same about Lascelles, Schar, Burn, Almiron, Longstaff, Willock, Murphy, Krafth, Anderson etc.

We've had top 4 form since January 2022. Everyone's played their role to get us there.

Apart from Wood everyone who has played decent minutes has contributed well. Krafth was excellent when Trippier got injured and earned himself an extra year at the club. He got injured, then he got replaced, but had he stayed fit things could be different.

If Burn gets injured early last season and Targett is fit and plays well LB with Botman at CB. He doesn't force his way back into the team and could easily be in Targett's current position.

A world where it's Longstaff missing the first half of last season and Shelvey playing well at 6 and Bruno at 8 definitely exists IMO.

Howe's gotten 100% out of nearly every player. Lots of lads have saved their NUFC careers by staying fit and taking their opportunities.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That is true, I just question what 100% of Shelvey actually is. 

I've not been his biggest fan. He's not an athlete. But he was genuinely great that half-season. Gave it his all off the ball and was progressive with his passing - which I think we still need in the midfield outside of Bruno. Like many of the lads, he knew this moment would never come again in his career. I don't know if that quote is true but he played like someone that knew this was their last opportunity to play football at the highest level for a club he cares for.

You could tell from his sendoff that he would love to be in Jamaal's position. In the squad, 1 or 2 injuries from starting in the CL. I'm unsure if he has the professionalism to staying shape and train hard while not being in the team - but he would want to.

That's true for all the less talented members of the squad. They give it 100% because the next best option is Nottingham Forest. As good as he's been, would Longstaff move to a West Ham or would it be lower down the league like a Wolves?

9 hours ago, nufcjb said:

His family still in Newcastle eh? Reckon he'll one day get involved in some capacity at the club again. Perhaps just at youth level or something if he is determined to live here forever.

Why? He's a twat that falls out with people mostly everywhere he's been 

Deserves a Championship/L1 side - from all the stories I've heard about Turkey/Greek contracts through podcasts - poor lad is never going to get paid.

We ran through Sheffield United with Norwood still playing ffs?

Edited by MorganBarasi